Menu

Colonoscopy - SUPREP ???

mlktwins

Hi all!  I need to go back and read the colonoscopy threads again, but my DH is having one next Thursday - prep to begin on Wednesday at 4.   This is his 3rd one - last one was 5 years ago.

He is doing the SUPREP and they say to add 16 oz of cold WATER to it.  Haven't I read here that he could use white Gatorade or Crystal Light or something to make it better?  Something other than cold water?  I may call the office too, but wanted to check with the brilliant HIVE members!!!

4 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Hi all!  I need to go back and read the colonoscopy threads again, but my DH is having one next Thursday - prep to begin on Wednesday at 4.   This is his 3rd one - last one was 5 years ago.

He is doing the SUPREP and they say to add 16 oz of cold WATER to it.  Haven't I read here that he could use white Gatorade or Crystal Light or something to make it better?  Something other than cold water?  I may call the office too, but wanted to check with the brilliant HIVE members!!!

My dad just had one and it seemed like the prep is not as harsh as it used to be.  But it was longer.  The entire day  before he had to be on a liquid diet.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

My dad just had one and it seemed like the prep is not as harsh as it used to be.  But it was longer.  The entire day  before he had to be on a liquid diet.  

Yes, liquid diet starting midnight Wednesday.  At least his procedure is at 8:15 Thursday morning!

I think some doctors encourage Gatorade for the electrolytes.  I can't stand the taste of Gatorade, plus I knew the sweetness of it would make me feel sick.  Maybe if there isn't a concern about electrolyte loss, it doesn't matter so much.   I mixed mine with unsweetened herbal tea and drank it cold.  I could tolerate it quite well that way!

(Mine was about a year and a half ago.)

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I think some doctors encourage Gatorade for the electrolytes.  I can't stand the taste of Gatorade, plus I knew the sweetness of it would make me feel sick.  Maybe if there isn't a concern about electrolyte loss, it doesn't matter so much.   I mixed mine with unsweetened herbal tea and drank it cold.  I could tolerate it quite well that way!

(Mine was about a year and a half ago.)

I am scheduling mine for October.  I might like the unsweetened tea with it!

• Like 1

I mixed mine with Mott's apple juice for Toddler's which is basically watered down apple juice.  I've learned my lesson from a previous prep, not to mix it with something I like to drink because I will never be able to drink it again.  I also kept it room temperature.  That much cold liquid going in my system in a relatively short amount of time made me feel sick.

So I recommend a watered down juice that you don't like and keep it at room temperature.

• Like 1