Menu

What's with the ads?

Jean in Newcastle

Who's going to tackle Friday with me?

• Work!- Man, the first week back with students is a KILLER.  I am exhausted!  At least it is a 3 day weekend.  
  • I might go out after work with some co-workers, so far nothing is set, but we have talked about it. and had so much fun!
  • Mail off DS's phone for the trade in offer- to get the $200 credit for the new phone  
  • Get everything I need to return to JC Penny and Costco in a pile and ready to go for Saturday. (almost )
  • Make a Costco list- nope
  • Meal plan for the week- no time
  • Make firm reservations for next weekend (hotel at the beach) to get oldest back to college (although he is struggling and second guessing going back, so we will see.)- holding off due to Dorian!
  • Call about T-shirt order for quilt  
Edited by DawnM
  • Like 6

Freeze pesto, finish apple butter, get all the spuds out of the ground.  These are really just ways to pretend dd23 and I aren't getting on a plane and moving her to Switzerland on Tuesday.  Finish lists for dd14 and dh for next week.  

• Like 7

The only thing that I need to get done is the grocery shopping. Last week I only managed to come up with three dinners for the menu. I managed to but together and prepare four more from the freezer and the pantry, but I prefer to have all of the meals planned out. I used to wing it every day, but about 2-3 years ago, I started to plan a menu. I do much better with a plan and some recipes.

• Like 7

Good morning! I woke up out of an unpleasant dream and couldn't find my phone to turn off the alarm, so getting up was not an easy process. Having coffee now. 

• School
  • Drop ds at tutorial
  • Call or text mom
  • Update YNAB 
  • Refill bird feeder
  • Call Microsoft
  • bank
  • grocery
  • AHG things - update Connect, order badges, list parents to ask to help
  • Pick up Ds and take him to mom's
  • Clean Ds' room! 
  • Cool and store chx stock
  • Figure out dinner!!  Meatloaf, green beans, spaghetti squash, and salad. 

Pool this evening? 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 7

So dh and dd2 decided to do a last minute road trip to CA last night around 8 pm. They left early this morning. 

No one is here but the dog.

What to do, what to do?

• coffee/paper
  • watch sunrise
  • water/garden
  • laundry
  • put on my music and clean fast
  • pick up car from rental place (long story- still waiting on new engine for car)
  • goof around
  • and more again

Have a great day!

• Like 7

Lots to do, but I'm mostly resting today. Still fighting bad headache and terrible cough. When I get sick, one of these two symptoms always appears; it's a bummer to have both at once. I have a football game to go to tonight (DS15 is in marching band for the first time), and we are having company on Monday, so I need to have the energy to prepare over the weekend. Hopefully we won't have to cancel, due to sickness.

So I'm taking it easy, even though I should be getting things done. Because it's a holiday weekend, DH will leave work early and can pick up kids from their after-school activities, which will help. He also let me sleep in while he got the kids off to school.

I may attempt a few light chores, and I have a plan to make supper (easy recipe that just requires assembly). I need to finish my library book. I'm almost at the end, and it needs to be returned. If my head can handle it, I'll read a chapter from my parenting book, too.

Other than that, I'm hoping I can nap a little. The dog is frisky, and the cat is a loud meower; hopefully they will settle down.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

Good morning!

• finish up morning chores
  • drive to city
  • have brunch at awesome Belgian restaurant
  • pick up ds19's car from dealer!
  • hopefully, get home before evening so I can get some work done around the house
  • watch a movie tonight
  • Like 5

Dawn, best wishes to your ds going back to school; mine was all wishy-washy too. Hopefully yours chooses wisely; we're already seeing that going back really was the right choice in our son's case....hopefully whatever your son decides, you see the same in the end. 

Harpymom, ((Hugs)) to you. Moving a dd to Switzerland must be very difficult. (((hugs)))

My Friday is nice & light. Yay! Both college boys are coming home for the long weekend, tonight is Friday Night Sew-In at the quilt shop, DH is picking up the local college boy for me, and so mostly my to-do list is a small amount of school with DS14 (since we only attend co-op on Mondays, and no class this coming Monday, he has 2 wks to do 1 wk of work, so we're taking things light & easy) and clean up my sewing room before I go out tonight so I can pack/take just what i need.....need to be able to *find* what I want to take, LOL! 

I may tackle my closet today, if I have time/motivation. 

Happy Friday, everyone!

• Like 7

Howdy, happy Friday!

It started off rough - waking up is hard to do!  And the housemate started her criticizing ... but I headed it off with "let's stay positive" and a smile.  Easier when I don't have 50 things to do in 10 minutes.  🙂

The school stuff was ready last night, so the kids got off to the bus on time with little fuss, so yay.  2 weeks down, Toomany to go.

I texted the scout leader and volleyball coach to work out the scheduling conflict I just learned of yesterday.  Kid 1 will attend party for 1.5 hours and then we will drive to camp.  (Annoyingly, I can't send Kid 2 with the scout leader, because they need 2-deep leadership in the car, which I think is ridiculous, but whatever.)  Also texted the kids' teacher re a tutoring permission form.

Then I cleaned the kitchen, walked/jogged about 1.5 miles, got coffee, read a little, and got caught up on daily electronic communications.

At the moment, I think today should be a relatively less-stressful work day.  I have lots of work, but no big deadlines, no conference calls, no mega CYA that I know of.  Hopefully I just get on a good roll and get a lot of things off my to-do list.

To do:

• Client work.
  • Really need to pay bills today.
  • Update Amazon Subscribe and Save.
  • Yoga, more walking/jogging, more reading, possibly more housework.
  • Go through personal papers and make sure I am not missing any deadlines.
  • Update calendar.
  • Drop off jacket for dry cleaning.
  • Kids to TKD.  (Bummer but I am not ready to go back yet.  Maybe next week.)
  • Dinner out - my kid wants to go to the movies for her "turn."
  • Would love to make a dent in many domestic projects.
  • Maybe come up with a plan for the 3-day weekend?
    • Kid 1 horse riding.
    • Car servicing.
    • Catch up on God and Church.
    • Family project - cleaning out the garage.
    • Finish some other AHG badge requirements.
    • Catch up on History Unboxed.
    • Attend service at another church.
    • Purge outgrown clothes, books, etc from kids' rooms.
    • Pack up boxes of stuff to hand off to people at the Monday get-together: sister 1 / audiobooks, sister 2/hand-me-downs, and the things several kids left in my van back on July.
    • Air and re-pack the tent; store camping gear that is currently in the dining room.
    • Rooftop party for Labor Day air show.  Family, kids' friends' families, and employees' families are coming.  Must socialize with all.
    • Kids' homework and music practice.
    • Sports paperwork - they make you read and sign a pile of small print.
    • All of the laundry.
    • Finish transitioning to new computer.
    • Lots of client work.
    • Whatever I'm forgetting.
Edited by SKL
  • Like 6

Just checked the weather - looks like Monday will be partly cloudy and 80 degrees ... hooray for clouds and hooray for no rain!!  I hope I remember to wear my hat though ....

• Like 6

DS21 is on his way home (he says); should be here by lunch-ish. 

DH will get DS18 around 1-ish. 

I will leave for my sewing day around 3-ish as I have to swing by Half Price Books on the way out there to pick up some books. I'll bump that to tomorrow if DH/DS aren't home yet by then. 

Eating, then heading up to clean the sewing room/get my stuff together for this afternoon.  

• Like 5

Inspired by another Hive member's post, I went through my personal emails to declutter. 

Got those bills paid, updated my Amazon Subscribe & Save.

Signed up for 2 continuing education classes and a family race.

So now I got rid of several items in my inbox, but generated several new ones (I will keep them there for reminders of upcoming events).  Ha!

I still have more de-cluttering to do, but I need to take a break now.

• Like 6

I feel like I haven't completed enough on the household chore front lately, but I am getting things done I guess. The laundry is never ending. I did set aside a couple items to donate. It's been frustrating with dd and ds both home. They are in each other's hair constantly, ds is always getting off task... sometimes because of his sister. It's going to be a challenging year. After what, 3 days? of emails the videos are loading in science, but all the assignments got moved into the "old assignments" tab and ds said it wouldn't let him access the quizes because they said expired. Good gravy, now I have to look into that. 

They are finally offering a sewing class at a time/day I should make so I registered for that yesterday (starts in mid Sept and meets 4x). Well now I have the motivation to work on the office again and set up the sewing machine before class (hello, youtube. Help me. I am clueless). I'll probably have to move ds' computer so I can use his table. I hope it's strong enough. 

I'm trying to flesh out ds' history so I've been researching materials. I ordered a couple in the wee hours and have checked out a couple from the library. Ds and I agreed it would be best for him to go to dh's library today to work in peace. He just headed over there. 

Today:

Ran dishwasher

Laundry (some done)

Take dd to an event at the public library and pick up ds' book hold that arrived

Make a birthday card for birthday party we are going to tomorrow

Target - pick up order including birthday gift

Petsmart or Petco for cat litter

Walmart - return mower oil. Pick up order with correct mower oil. Buy some deli meat with coupons. 

Stop at bank - get cash for sitter (signed up for literacy summit in Sept. Will have sitter watch dd that Friday). Get cash to pay library fine at other library

Cook chicken that defrosted. Dinner will be leftovers, though. Ended up buying a rotisserie yesterday. 

Figure out how to operate the video baby monitor here so I can try to sell it at the consignment store (it was a hand me down we never used). 

• Like 5

Complications with the rental car. Let's just say a crucial piece of information went missing from dh's instructions.

so I went for a drive and now am in an Uber heading back. 

I guess it is a good thing I have nothing to do- this whole exchange is going to take close to three hours.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

emptied dishwasher and then cleaned out the filters.

I finally rolled up the aired out sleeping bags from camp and have them in bags ready to be stored in the garage.  Do you think that dh will take the hint since I stacked them at the top of the stairs where he will have to climb over them?  (Actually I just asked him to put them away and he said that he would.)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

filled dishwasher and it is running

hand washed pan and knives

wiped down counters, stove and microwave

took out kitchen garbage

recharged my Fitbit on my last computer break but I'm going to put it down here.

I am sitting down to itemize more things today because I find cleaning house to be snoring boring and I desperately need the accountability and the credit when I actually follow through! 

• Like 5

Cleaned half the sewing room. Or, well, picked up the trash, put away the extra folding table for big projects, moved the ironing board back where it goes, organized quilt tops waiting to be quilted and put them in a new-to-me storage suitcase, put the batting into the other storage suitcase, stacked those neatly in an out of the way corner b/w my desk & the (music) keyboard, found the project I need to take to work on at the sew-in tonight (need to find extra other things for when I get bored of this one), and now have a massive pile of assorted fabric all over the table. 

I need to, at some point, go in and reorganize my fabric drawers and put away all of this fabric. Not today. 

DS21 made it home; I fed everyone lunch, he has clothes in the wash and now he & DS14 are upstairs hanging out. 

Debating whether I  A, go hang up clothes from yesterday, or B, take a quick nap before I have to go to the sew-in. Thinking nap; it'll be at least an hour before DH & DS18 are home (well, 1.5 hrs at least, as best I can tell, as to my knowledge DH isn't heading there yet to get him....). 

• Like 5

One load of clean clothes but on dd's bed for her to fold and put away (they are all hers)

One load has been brought up for me to fold

One load is in the washing machine and is churning away. 

texting with ds about car choices.  Getting mad when he again suggests cars from the 70's - he needs a boring commuter car to get him from point A to point B.  Period! 

• Like 4

Got the rental. 3 hours exactly.

I had some lunch and emptied the dishwasher. I shouldn't have to do that again before Monday!

Time to goof around a little

• Like 4

It’s official, ds19 bought his first car! It is a Mini Cooper Countryman S and I am gaga over it.😍 So much more fun than my boring old Pilot.😀 

We’re on our way home now.

• Like 4

Ds is teasing by sending me pictures of rusted out Studebakers and saying that is what he's going to buy.  .  .   Noooooooooooooooooo!

Dropped a big box of Rice Krispie treats off at the Y to share with staff there.  We thought that it would be gluten free but it has "barley malt" so nope. 

folded and put away a load of laundry

another load is in the dryer

and yet another load is in the washing machine

I actually picked up a needle and thread and fixed the holes in the pants that I have had on my list to fix for over a month now. 

• Like 4

We got home about an hour ago

Let the dogs out

Emptied the dishwasher, loaded it, and started it back up

Wiped down the counters

Sorted through the mail

Listened to voicemail messages

Started a load of laundry

• Like 4

Dinner is made. 
Lots of AHG stuff done today.
lots of driving -ugh!

Tonight:

Help dd with some things and relax

• Like 4

Last load is in the dryer

I am half-heartedly folding and putting away another load of laundry but we'll see how far I get since I'm not the most motivated.

I am also starting to put things back in their places.  I have put away a few camp craft supplies.  I have thrown out a couple of things from downstairs and ds' room too. 

I broke down a few boxes and put those out in the recycle bin. 

I fed the bunnies their lettuce and got chins from both of them. 

I am not going to cook tonight but have pulled out various leftovers.

• Like 3

Did most of my list. Cooking off that chicken now and will probably use for chicken salad tomorrow. The cat actually got into my rotisserie chicken tonight. 

Instead of going in the bank I just got cash back at Target. I think dd was more excited over doing crafts than seeing the Disney princesses, but she enjoyed herself at the Storybook event. 

I have not made the birthday card yet. The party is tomorrow afternoon so I might just put it off til then. I will realistically not even fool with the baby monitor til later in the week. I'm exhausted. We got home around 8 pm after running all our errands. They did not have the small boxes of litter so I ended up with the jumbo 40 lb bag but I managed to get it to car and into the house. Just hope the cat doesn't claw it open. 

Princesses.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/30/2019 at 9:05 AM, TheReader said:

Dawn, best wishes to your ds going back to school; mine was all wishy-washy too. Hopefully yours chooses wisely; we're already seeing that going back really was the right choice in our son's case....hopefully whatever your son decides, you see the same in the end. 

Thanks.  It still is a work in progress.  I wish there were a local college he could go to, he really struggles with being away from home.  Aspie.  It is hard.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

Thanks.  It still is a work in progress.  I wish there were a local college he could go to, he really struggles with being away from home.  Aspie.  It is hard.

Similar situation here (and there is a local college, but that DS won't attend there.....). Prayers for your boy; it's so hard to watch and guide and not smother and.....(at least for me). 

• Like 2