Menu

Unlock Math Algebra- can someone look at the scope & sequence to see if it is complete?

Yes, that is the link, thank you. I am highly considering it but still undecided between Unlock and Mr. D. My 8th grader needs a lot of review in order to solidify the concepts, so I don’t think Mr D will help. Plus, all that printing...

So I was looking at Unlock and I am not sure it covers all the topics that a (rigorous) algebra I should cover. Please tell me your thoughts.

I compared the topics to the ones covered in my copy of Foerster Algebra 1 and the topics are almost identical. I would say that it definitely covers all the topics of a rigorous algebra 1 program. It definitely covers quite a bit more than Jacobs Elementary Algebra, which is not advanced, but not behind.

On 9/3/2019 at 6:41 AM, Clear Creek said:

I compared the topics to the ones covered in my copy of Foerster Algebra 1 and the topics are almost identical. I would say that it definitely covers all the topics of a rigorous algebra 1 program. It definitely covers quite a bit more than Jacobs Elementary Algebra, which is not advanced, but not behind.

If Common Core alignment is an issue, I would categorize Jacobs as both advanced and behind.  (Note that I am a huge Jacobs Algebra fan.)

When I looked at the Unlock Math topics, they went beyond (in various ways and not all the same ways) any of the Algebra I texts/programs that I have used (Jacobs, Lial, Larson CC, Holt CC, Derek Owens).

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wonderful! My son just finished it today with a 97% in the final and 95 overall. It took him 12 months to complete it because he had to repeat some concepts he struggled with or if he got under 85-90% . It was so beneficial to have the unlimited practice for each chapter or lesson in order to master each concept. BEST upper math program ever !

• Like 1

I’m so happy to hear this. My DD3 used Unlock’s Geometry as a ‘pre-geometry’ before taking an online class. I was impressed with it; she’s a strong math student, so she found it easy, but I thought the topic coverage was solid.

Fast-forward to my DD4: she’s a totally different math student. She’s inching along with CLE math, currently in 6th grade. I’m planning to transition her over to Unlock math at some point soon. Possibly for pre-Algebra, but definitely by Algebra 1.

My sister has just begun using Unlock math to remediate/strengthen her DS14’s private school math education. She recently learned his school only taught half of their 6th grade math curriculum (I think there were major behavioral problems with his class and teacher couldn’t manage them and keep up with teaching) and both his 7th & 8th grade years have been negatively impacted with COVID-related virtual learning struggles (his private school has not done a great job adjusting to remote learning). Anyway, here he is in 8th grade just barely scraping the surface of pre-Algebra topics with only 3 live sessions per week. My sister started him in Unlock’s pre-Algebra and is hoping to get through Algebra 1 by the end of next summer. He’s a bright kid who likes math, so he has truly been held back by the pace and failures of his private school. Ugh.

• Like 2