Menu

What's with the ads?

Quill

I’m so bugged by emails

I’m still searching for a way to stop email management from cluttering up my life. Still failing. I have a ton of subfiles, so I can and do move them into subfiles every now and then. And delete all the nonsense. And unsubscribe to things I don’t even know how I got subscribed to. But it still takes over my life. 

A couple months back, I spent a few hours decluttering email and brought my annoying number of unreads down to less than 100. My intention was to manage email enough to keep unreads under 100...but it slowly surpassed 100, then 200, then 300...I just cleaned it out again because it was over 900 and I cannot bear for it to go past 1,000. So, now it’s down to mid-500s again. But then yesterday, a ton of additional clutter came in and the number increased by like 30 unreads. Argh! Just *stop it* for pitty’s sake! 

At the moment, I’m job hunting, so those job search sites send me stuff and I do need that. But that’s the problem in general - there’s always something or other I do need. Baseball, soccer, colleges, schools, homeschool organizations...it’s maddening. 

As if all that is not enough, I also manage the email for dh’s company and that, of course, tends to be more crucial, so if I have an hour to spend on email management and I can only do one or the other, I will do the company emails first. 

Is anyone winning at this? 

I just make judicious use of the delete button.  Most ads/promotions go right in the trash -- unless it's something I'm planning to buy or shop (for example, I get at least one weekly email from Michael's -- not going, no time to purchase -- don't bother opening, just trash it).  Once we move into our house and as we get closer to fall, I will start looking at ads a bit more with an eye toward Christmas.  

News/blog updates -- I may keep those hanging around to read during a dead period of time.  But, they wind up trashed (read or not the next day).  I'm not going to die if I miss a good article.  

Business/Work related emails always get opened -- then immediately trashed or moved to where they need to be (especially, if it's something I can't deal with at the moment).

I probably don't read 90% of my emails, and trash them unread.  The other 10% usually gets opened and scanned.  I don't have time to worry about non essential things I might be missing.

• Like 7

I am completely horrible about this and feel overwhelmed. This may make you feel better -- I have 5,000 unread emails. That's just on my phone. Actually, I have another email attached to that one that has another 2,000.

When I delete them on my phone, they are not deleted on the computer, so I have a ton there, as well.

It's horrible. I would like to just delete everything and start from scratch, but there are some important things in there. So I have to sort through it, but that is so overwhelming that I don't do it, and more just keep piling up.

I do try to delete as I read, but evidently, I am utterly incompetent at this. I don't have extra files set up to organize things, which might help. But I worry that that would just give me another layer of things to manage badly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Clearly I have no life.  I have 20 unread emails.  😏  But, I'm also very happy to hit the delete button.

I also go through my email account and unsub from almost all promotional emails.  I hate that stuff.  

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Clearly I have no life.  I have 20 unread emails.  😏  But, I'm also very happy to hit the delete button.

I also go through my email account and unsub from almost all promotional emails.  I hate that stuff.  

This is me too! I get about 25 per day. Most of which are helpful, or necessary. Anything I don't regularly read or actually need, I unsubscribe from.

I cull the inbox ruthlessly about once a week and my subfolders about once every couple months. 

Sorry it's so overwhelming , Quill. That volume would drive me crazy too!

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Wow. You’re my hero. I think the last time I had only 20 was in 2001 or something. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

I am completely horrible about this and feel overwhelmed. This may make you feel better -- I have 5,000 unread emails. That's just on my phone. Actually, I have another email attached to that one that has another 2,000.

When I delete them on my phone, they are not deleted on the computer, so I have a ton there, as well.

It's horrible. I would like to just delete everything and start from scratch, but there are some important things in there. So I have to sort through it, but that is so overwhelming that I don't do it, and more just keep piling up.

I do try to delete as I read, but evidently, I am utterly incompetent at this. I don't have extra files set up to organize things, which might help. But I worry that that would just give me another layer of things to manage badly.

Well, misery loves company! 😄

Well, I am going to make you all feel totally on top of things.

In my inbox I have 163,213 emails dating back to 2007.  Of these 124,570 are unread.  

Feel better now?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, natalie said:

In my inbox I have 163,213 emails dating back to 2007.  Of these 124,570 are unread.  

Feel better now?  

I do feel better, because I only have 51,571.:biggrin:

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I do feel better, because I only have 51,571.:biggrin:

Glad to help! :biggrin:

• Haha 2

I refuse to get emails on my phone.  (I've unlinked the mail app.)  I spend about two minutes/day deleting the 300 or more emails I get each day, which is pretty easy, because 95% of them are junk.  🙂   About twice a year I go through all the junk emails and unsubscribe, but it only works about 1/4 of the time.  Even the ones that at first seem to be unsubscribed often start up again months later, which is frustrating.

I still have about 800 in my inbox though which I've mostly read and can't quite decide if they're unimportant enough to delete...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quill said:

I’m still searching for a way to stop email management from cluttering up my life. Still failing. I have a ton of subfiles, so I can and do move them into subfiles every now and then. And delete all the nonsense. And unsubscribe to things I don’t even know how I got subscribed to. But it still takes over my life. 

I read a book about organization a while ago that suggested a "one touch" rule for email.  That is, when you read your email, and you see a new one, you make a decision right then to do something quickly with it and get it out of the inbox -- either delete it, put it onto a calendar, move it to a folder or onto a todo list.  I am not as good at this as I would like.  I think for this to work, you need to plan now about all those annoying emails in your inbox, and try to organize places for them to go that aren't in your email, or at least aren't in your inbox.  I try to move a lot of emails with dates, etc. onto my calendar, which gets rid a lot of inbox clutter.  The big annoyance for me is the read emails in my inbox that I just don't know what to do with, e.g. ones that need a reply, but I don't have time to reply right now, or I don't know what to say, etc.  I guess what I should do is start a reply immediately, and save it into my drafts box, and go through the drafts later.  At least that way it is out of the inbox.

At one point in time, conventional wisdom was that you should never click the "unsubscribe" button in spammy emails.  I think that "unsubscribing" is generally worth it, many email lists honor them, and it hasn't made my email management worse, that I can tell. 

Anyone else got any good ideas?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

I refuse to get emails on my phone.  (I've unlinked the mail app.)  I spend about two minutes/day deleting the 300 or more emails I get each day, which is pretty easy, because 95% of them are junk.  🙂   About twice a year I go through all the junk emails and unsubscribe, but it only works about 1/4 of the time.  Even the ones that at first seem to be unsubscribed often start up again months later, which is frustrating.

I still have about 800 in my inbox though which I've mostly read and can't quite decide if they're unimportant enough to delete...

Oh, that sounds so nice!!! Once my kids have graduated, I may unlink my email from my phone. Right now, I get a lot of emails from the school, and I do need to be able to see them at any and all times, even when I'm not connected to my computer.

But one day...

• Like 1

What email service are you using? For personal email I use Gmail. It's pretty good at sorting out promotional and spam emails into separate folders. I don't feel any obligation to read emails in those folders and they're set to delete automatically after 90 days.

For work we use outlook and again have the program set to separate out spam and promotional emails so I don't really see those. For emails I need to respond to I flag them. Once I've responded they're unflagged. I don't go through and sort emails. Once or twice a month I go through and mark important emails for archiving. If I need to find a specific email I just use the search function.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GGardner said:

I read a book about organization a while ago that suggested a "one touch" rule for email.  That is, when you read your email, and you see a new one, you make a decision right then to do something quickly with it and get it out of the inbox -- either delete it, put it onto a calendar, move it to a folder or onto a todo list.  I am not as good at this as I would like.  I think for this to work, you need to plan now about all those annoying emails in your inbox, and try to organize places for them to go that aren't in your email, or at least aren't in your inbox.  I try to move a lot of emails with dates, etc. onto my calendar, which gets rid a lot of inbox clutter.  The big annoyance for me is the read emails in my inbox that I just don't know what to do with, e.g. ones that need a reply, but I don't have time to reply right now, or I don't know what to say, etc.  I guess what I should do is start a reply immediately, and save it into my drafts box, and go through the drafts later.  At least that way it is out of the inbox.

At one point in time, conventional wisdom was that you should never click the "unsubscribe" button in spammy emails.  I think that "unsubscribing" is generally worth it, many email lists honor them, and it hasn't made my email management worse, that I can tell. 

Anyone else got any good ideas?

Yeah, I do a version of this but I always get bogged down by things I need to read or act on but can’t do it right now and also can’t delete or move it because it does require my action and attention. So I star it. 🙄 But even the starred emails end up getting pushed down by all the new ones. In a few days, I have totally forgotten, say, the electric company sent me some important notice about changing their auto pay provider. 

There always just seems to be something I have to stop on, and those tend to languish. 

21 minutes ago, MarieCurie said:

What email service are you using? For personal email I use Gmail. It's pretty good at sorting out promotional and spam emails into separate folders. I don't feel any obligation to read emails in those folders and they're set to delete automatically after 90 days.

For work we use outlook and again have the program set to separate out spam and promotional emails so I don't really see those. For emails I need to respond to I flag them. Once I've responded they're unflagged. I don't go through and sort emails. Once or twice a month I go through and mark important emails for archiving. If I need to find a specific email I just use the search function.

My personal email is through yahoo, though I have a secondary personal gmail account I only use for certain specific things. My company email is through gmail. I don’t have much problem managing the company email but I guess that is mostly because there are fewer things that come to it. iOW, most of what comes there is necessary and can be directed to subfiles or acted on. 

I have zero unreads. 

I filter junkmail and unsubscribe and/or block if I think it's really junk I'll never be interested in.  For places I actually shop and want to be informed of their sales, they can stay in junk mail, which I empty once a day.  I only bother reading it if the subject line is something I actually want to buy.  For example, Talbots recently sent out a 25% off new items + free shipping + 10% off total purchase and an additional 60% off clearance items.  Three cute, high quality office and church appropriate $80-120 dresses for $48?  Yes, please. 

I might subscribe to a blog to get access to protected content, but 90% of the time I either immediately unsubscribe or forget the whole thing when I see it requires signing up for a stupid email.  To read blogs I follow most of them on feedly.com.  I just use the free version.  Every once in a while they experiment with annoying features like hiding the free search option inside a feed, but most of the time it's great.  It keeps track of the posts, I can mark them to read later, read them immediately, or just mark as read the ones I have no interest in.  The few blogs I follow that don't have a feed set up, or sites like this one that I visit daily all get their own browser tab. 

Really important stuff that might need to be referenced later gets filtered into its own folder.  Stuff that can get read or responded to in less than 2 minutes I do immediately. Stuff that I still need to deal with - read in closer detail than my initial skim, respond to in some way, or wait for more information before I respond gets left in my inbox until I get to it.  I usually make sure I filter through this stuff twice a month, right after I pay bills.  It always ends up being a surprising amount of stuff I can just throw away.

Bank notifications that I have a message or a bill or whatever typically gets deleted because I'll deal with it on bill paying day.  There are obvious exceptions, but those are rare.

I keep one order or delivery confirmation for online orders until I get delivery of the items, and then I delete those too.

Oh, I do our online banking mostly through one credit union.  With one exception for a student loan of DH's, we don't let companies automatically deduct bills.  I pay them myself.  The online bill pay site my credit union uses lets you group the people you pay.  I have 4 groups- hide (these don't show and contain old companies and accounts), Pay on the 1st, Pay on the 15th, and Rarely Used.  I also get every bill I can through them instead of by email or mail.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GGardner said:

The big annoyance for me is the read emails in my inbox that I just don't know what to do with, e.g. ones that need a reply, but I don't have time to reply right now, or I don't know what to say, etc.  I guess what I should do is start a reply immediately, and save it into my drafts box, and go through the drafts later.  At least that way it is out of the inbox.

That can help, but if I don't send that draft reply immediately when first written, my email program (Outlook) doesn't indicate that I've responded to the original email (by showing that little curved arrow).  Later, I may not remember if I already responded unless I search the sent file.  It works better for me to flag the original email, if I still need to respond to it.  Besides the red flag, the entry turns yellow.  After a day the email entry shows yellow with red writing, so it's super easy to scroll down the list to find it again.   

Edited by klmama
  • Like 1

Long ago, mail was used often for people to be in contact and now it is frequently 100% ads.

The telephone has gone the same way ime.

When email was first a thing I expected it to be so nice for keeping in touch and now it is mostly ads.

My email is a mess!  For me, digital clutter is just as stressful as physical clutter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, klmama said:

That can help, but if I don't send that draft reply immediately when first written, my email program (Outlook) doesn't indicate that I've responded to the original email (by showing that little curved arrow).  Later, I may not remember if I already responded unless I search the sent file.  It works better for me to flag the original email, if I still need to respond to it.  Besides the red flag, the entry turns yellow.  After a day the email entry shows yellow with red writing, so it's super easy to scroll down the list to find it again.   

I don't know about Outlook, but in gmail, I can start a reply, and immediately save it to drafts, then archive the original email out of the inbox.  This way, the original isn't clogging my inbox, but I can go through Drafts later to finish all my unfinished replies.

I haven't figured out how to use flags or stars effectively.  If folks have good ideas about this, I'd love to improve my email game. In generally, though, I'd rather just get emails out of my inbox, and off to another place that I can look at when I'm focused on writing replies, or whatever.

Edited by GGardner

I’m thinking maybe I should schedule a once a month date with email to be my “absolutely address this now” day each month. Maybe the build up wont get so bad if I’m focused on cleaning it once every month. I mean, I’ll still do all my daily managing, but this would be the stop gap so it doesn’t get away from me. 

I agree with @happi duck; digital clutter bothers me as much as a messy closet or bookcase. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Quill said:

I’m thinking maybe I should schedule a once a month date with email to be my “absolutely address this now” day each month. Maybe the build up wont get so bad if I’m focused on cleaning it once every month. I mean, I’ll still do all my daily managing, but this would be the stop gap so it doesn’t get away from me. 

I agree with @happi duck; digital clutter bothers me as much as a messy closet or bookcase. 

I highly recommend dealing with it whenever you do paperwork/pay bills.  Flylady devotees do this once a week.  I do mine twice a month bc that's how often DH gets paid.

I think digital clutter annoys me more than physical clutter.  Maybe because these days it is more important.  I definitely need to get rid of many more physical objects than digital ones.

I also clear up digital clutter when I'm stuck somewhere.  Waiting on a kid to get picked up.  When DH is driving us & I have nothing to do, etc.  I recently spent about 10 hours of vacation travel time mostly cleaning up my Pinterest boards.

• Like 1

I heard someone suggest that you stop considering your email like a “to do” list and instead view it as a river that flows by that you sometimes fish resources from. 

I open anything I need and the occasionally sort by “all unread” and then delete all. 

Occasionally I miss something and it gets sent again.  No big deal. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Caraway said:

I heard someone suggest that you stop considering your email like a “to do” list and instead view it as a river that flows by that you sometimes fish resources from. 

I open anything I need and the occasionally sort by “all unread” and then delete all. 

Occasionally I miss something and it gets sent again.  No big deal. 

Man, you have a much higher FOMO tolerance than I do! 

It helps, for those with a lot of junk mails, to have two emails - one for real people, the other is the "spam me" account. Once a week check the spam me account in case one of those subscriptions is worth reading.

• Like 4

Oh my goodness, you guys.  I would not be able to function with that many unread emails.  I don't even like having any, but realistically, I usually have some.  But it's almost never more than 30 or 40, and that's only when I have a bunch of scans emailed to me by my secretary.  (I have a "scanner" folder to put those in when I am online.)

A year or two ago, I started unsubscribing instead of just deleting emails from people I didn't want to hear from.  That did help.  But I also do a lot of deleting.  Like I get a lot of ads for continuing education.  I do need to do some of those courses, but I immediately delete anything that doesn't sound fascinating to me.  I delete anything that I can easily find online if I want to.

Probably once a week or so, I scroll through and delete (or file) anything for which I've received a more updated email / reminder.  And anything that has become outdated.  For example, "your online statement is available."  I've gone online and made my payment, so now I don't need that reminder any more.

I get some cool emails that I subscribed to - many updates about law changes and so on.  But as I know I have no time to read them in the near future, out they go, unless they are very pertinent to my current business.  Someday I will have time to read all that stuff, but at that point, all of these emails will be outdated anyway.

I get copied on files that I need to keep, but I don't need to actually do anything with them.  Some I need to save into my own client files; these I leave in my inbox until I need something mundane to do, and then I just file them.  The rest - things I keep just in case I might need to look at them someday - get moved into my "to file" folder (or subfolder for certain large projects).

Sometimes I need to purge or move a bunch of emails related to one project.  Then I will do a search or sort, so I can go in chronological order and just delete or move without having to give it a lot of thought.  For example, I might receive a dozen emailed versions of a document in progress.  I don't need all of them, just the latest one.  Eventually I will receive a final signed version and won't need any of the drafts.  So out they go (or into an archive for CYA purposes).

I do have many "read" emails in my work inbox.  I don't like it at all, but I can't seem to dedicate enough time to clear it out.  Right now it has about 2,000 items, of which none are "unread."  My personal email currently has 11 "unread" items, which are mainly things I want to be sure I don't forget about.

• Like 1

I’m a ruthless deleter at both home and work. Nothing goes unread (then usually deleted or more rarely filed) for more than one day unless I’m on vacation. The only things in my inbox are usually already read emails that still need to be dealt with in some way, very rarely more than 10 at any given time at either work or home and more like fewer than five at the end of a work day.

I don’t know if it makes any difference, but I don’t have a smart phone. I only deal with my personal email on my iPad. So I only check it a few times per day and just quickly go through it all of it. While my junk filter does a pretty good job, I also try to stay on top of unsubscribing to junk. Fortunately, no junk mail makes it through at work, so I never have to deal with it there.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, natalie said:

Feel better now?  

I do feel much better, having only 22, 423 in my inbox.

I've given up, honestly. I mean, it's insane. You can't come back from 22, 423. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I've given up, honestly. I mean, it's insane. You can't come back from 22, 423. 

Exactly!

Many days I feel as though I am barely keeping my head above water with all that needs to be done.

I can only juggle so many balls.  I chose to let this one drop ☺️.

As a side note, my dh is a ruthless deleter and frequently needs info from emails he has gotten rid of.  I NEVER have that problem ... lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, natalie said:

Feel better now?  

I’m in that camp, too. For me, it’s not like it’s paper cluttering anything up. It’s just 1s and 0s on a server somewhere. I let them keep it for me and don’t worry about it. If I ever get to the point they want to charge me for storage, I’ll delete a bunch!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay guys. I got busy this morning and removed all the unreads, along with any reads that are obviously moot now. I am down to zero unreads. Let’s see how I do...

• Like 5

I never keep unread e-mails, unless it's something my dh needs to see (we share our e-mail account).  I get about 50-100 emails a day, and I check my e-mail about 3 times a day.  I scan through the messages and open the ones from "real" people, and I either flag those for attention, or I delete or file them away.  Then I scroll through the rest with my cursor on the Delete button.  Most of them get deleted without my opening them.  Some I scroll past, if they look interesting (an interesting Smithsonian article I want to read later, etc).  I might leave those them unread until later that evening, or sometimes the next day, when I have time to read them.  Most sales I just mentally make a note, and delete (I have apps for many of those, and I can get the coupons on my phone, so no need to keep the email).   I delete Amazon notifications.  I file those from other companies.

About once a month, when I have a few minutes, I'll go through and unsubscribe from the most prolific e-mailers and either ask to reduce the number, or unsubscribe completely.  ETA: I just counted, and I have 10 unflagged messages, and 12 flagged ones.  Zero unread (well, there were two, but I just deleted them).

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
  • Like 1

No unread emails.  I have 2 emails one for signing up for things and one for real stuff.  I skim subject and sender and delete in mass actually in my my ad/junk e-mail my default is to delete all. For real email I read it and send to a folder to save, delete or keep in my inbox until I complete the action like fill out form for school then delete.  

• Like 1

I have an email specifically dedicated to junkmail. I haven't checked it in months. I use it for signing up for things that isn't super important for me to keep track of. Also, my poor Aunt and a couple others who forward nonsense all day only have that email. 

My newer email may get relegated to junk mail soon and I will get a different one since it is getting cluttered up with online school info and children's activities. I check email about 3x's a day. It takes 3 minutes. Gmail sorts unread and read. I only look at unread. The vast majority of the time I can scan the list and only need to read, respond, or add info to a calandar for 1 or 2 emails. Then I use the shift key to delete all the rest of them at once. I do not click on each one or even individually throw them away. I highlight the whole list and toss 20 or so at once.  

Honestly, I could get by with once a day but I like small chunks. 

Edited by frogger
Spelling
  • Like 1

I have over  10,000 unread emails. I love the metaphor that it is a river flowing by me and I can fish out what I need. The amount of notifications on my phone made a friend cringe. She suggested that I get something called unroll.me 

I haven’t looked into it but it was described as a filter to group certain sales emails together. 

Edited by Acorn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, frogger said:

I have an email specifically dedicated to junkmail. I haven't checked it in months. I use it for signing up for things that isn't super important for me to keep track of. Also, my poor Aunt and a couple others who forward nonsense all day only have that email. 

My newer email may get relegated to junk mail soon and I will get a different one since it is getting cluttered up with online school info and children's activities. I check email about 3x's a day. It takes 3 minutes. Gmail sorts unread and read. I only look at unread. The vast majority of the time I can scan the list and only need to read, respond, or add info to a calandar for 1 or 2 emails. Then I use the shift key to delete all the rest of them at once. I do not click on each one or even individually throw them away. I highlight the whole list and toss 20 or so at once.  

Honestly, I could get by with once a day but I like small chunks. 

I did, once upon a time, make a secondary email with the idea that it would be my sign-up/sales, etc. email, especially as Christmas shopping approaches. But I haven’t really executed that plan in that manner because I can only have one email on my ap and for whatever dumb reason having to sign in to the other one is just unpleasantly tedious so I go a long time without visiting that other box. I pretty much only go to the other box when I’m sitting in front of a desktop computer and am already in gmail for the company. (My secondary account is gmail, too.) I do think I might make my Amazon link to this substitue email because then I would stop getting emails from businesses who want feedback on their product, people who want to ask questions about what I bought, etc. 

Basically I seem to be tyranized by FOMO if I don’t get all the emails. 🙄 Like, just today, I considered unsubbing from a Food email I get daily. I could totally unsub or I could use my secondary account, but I know that once in a while, I do read an article and like the info I got. That makes it seem worth it. So I keep it with the thinking that I can still just swipe-delete most of them daily. But...I don’t know. I clearly need to do something differently. Now that I got my box to zero unreads, it’s really shocking how many emails keep piling up all day. I don’t want to give it undue attention throughout the day, but now that it was at zero, it bugs me for it to have five or eight or ten. 

One thing I’m trying to do differently is, when I see an email and I feel like, “oh, I’ll look at that later,” I’m trying to examine why I want to avoid dealing with it now. I’m trying to see where the excuse originates. I’m hoping this helps me fix the problem at the root. 

1 hour ago, Quill said:

ILike, just today, I considered unsubbing from a Food email I get daily. I could totally unsub or I could use my secondary account, but I know that once in a while, I do read an article and like the info I got. That makes it seem worth it. So I keep it with the thinking that I can still just swipe-delete most of them daily. But...I don’t know. I clearly need to do something differently. 

For things like this, gmail, at least, makes it easy to make a rule that automatically moves all incoming email from some source into a subfolder.  This took me a while to figure out, but was so worth it.

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2019 at 5:58 AM, Quill said:

I did, once upon a time, make a secondary email with the idea that it would be my sign-up/sales, etc. email, especially as Christmas shopping approaches. But I haven’t really executed that plan in that manner because I can only have one email on my ap and for whatever dumb reason having to sign in to the other one is just unpleasantly tedious so I go a long time without visiting that other box. I pretty much only go to the other box when I’m sitting in front of a desktop computer and am already in gmail for the company. (My secondary account is gmail, too.) I do think I might make my Amazon link to this substitue email because then I would stop getting emails from businesses who want feedback on their product, people who want to ask questions about what I bought, etc. 

Basically I seem to be tyranized by FOMO if I don’t get all the emails. 🙄 Like, just today, I considered unsubbing from a Food email I get daily. I could totally unsub or I could use my secondary account, but I know that once in a while, I do read an article and like the info I got. That makes it seem worth it. So I keep it with the thinking that I can still just swipe-delete most of them daily. But...I don’t know. I clearly need to do something differently. Now that I got my box to zero unreads, it’s really shocking how many emails keep piling up all day. I don’t want to give it undue attention throughout the day, but now that it was at zero, it bugs me for it to have five or eight or ten. 

One thing I’m trying to do differently is, when I see an email and I feel like, “oh, I’ll look at that later,” I’m trying to examine why I want to avoid dealing with it now. I’m trying to see where the excuse originates. I’m hoping this helps me fix the problem at the root. 

Go to their website and see if they feature the same articles on the main page that they email to you.  If so you can unsubscribe and know that when you feel like browsing for that type of content you can go to their site.  If you use the information more often than that, set up a feedly account and subscribe to them there.  Then it's waiting for you when you want the content.

• Thanks 1