Jump to content

Menu

correcting math mistakes?


Recommended Posts

We're doing Saxon for the first time this year. 8/7 with my 12 year old girls. I think I remember reading that a lot of people do just the odds or evens but I see that you're actually "supposed" to do them all. So for now we are doing them all. 

Do you have your kids correct all of the problems they get wrong? Maybe just if they get lower than a certain grade?

How do you do things?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, they should correct the problems they get wrong.  Otherwise, how will they be able to learn from their mistakes? 

The best way I've found is to sit across the room with the solution manual and have the student check their answers with me orally as they go.  When they get something wrong, I'll tell them it is wrong, and they try again without any other information.  If they still don't get it, I have them tell me what they did.  Many times doing this will help them see their error without any input from me.  If they still need help, I will give a hint or two.  If that doesn't work, I reteach.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lgliser said:

We're doing Saxon for the first time this year. 8/7 with my 12 year old girls. I think I remember reading that a lot of people do just the odds or evens but I see that you're actually "supposed" to do them all. So for now we are doing them all. 

Do you have your kids correct all of the problems they get wrong? Maybe just if they get lower than a certain grade?

How do you do things?

The author planned every problem in every problem set to be important and vital  While many publishers put lots of problems in each lesson and expect the teacher to decide how much to do, Saxon isn't like that. The problems provide a planned, continued development of all concepts presented, not just practice; when children don't do all the problems, they are missing out on the instruction. So good for you to have your dc do everything.

Yes, there must be corrections.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2019 at 11:19 PM, EKS said:

Yes, they should correct the problems they get wrong.  Otherwise, how will they be able to learn from their mistakes? 

The best way I've found is to sit across the room with the solution manual and have the student check their answers with me orally as they go.  When they get something wrong, I'll tell them it is wrong, and they try again without any other information.  If they still don't get it, I have them tell me what they did.  Many times doing this will help them see their error without any input from me.  If they still need help, I will give a hint or two.  If that doesn't work, I reteach.

 

Yep, this is what I do most days. Math work definitely needs to be corrected. A mistake that isn't corrected today means it will probably be wrong again tomorrow. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you wash the dishes and realize they are still dirty, do you put them away and use them anyway? Or do you re-wash them? The best way to learn to do something well is to re-do it when done poorly. And in real life, if you make a mistake, you need to fix it. I would still go the odds or evens but make them correct the missed problems. Saxon goes based on the idea of, as long as you get a portion right, it is okay because you are doing so incredibly many that you will eventually get it. I think it is better to do quality work, not quantity. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Janeway said:

If you wash the dishes and realize they are still dirty, do you put them away and use them anyway? Or do you re-wash them? The best way to learn to do something well is to re-do it when done poorly. And in real life, if you make a mistake, you need to fix it. I would still go the odds or evens but make them correct the missed problems. Saxon goes based on the idea of, as long as you get a portion right, it is okay because you are doing so incredibly many that you will eventually get it. I think it is better to do quality work, not quantity. 

I agree with this except that Saxon isn't designed the way other math books are.  Review sets are designed as cohesive units, and the student should do the entire unit as a whole.  That said, the Saxon people have indicated that if the student needs to do fewer problems that it is preferable to do all practice problems and then every other review set rather than odds/evens.

Edited by EKS
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree about doing ALL of the problems in Saxon.  This is a specific type of program-- it was designed for every problem to be worked... most PS texts were designed for only the ODDS to be worked for homework with the evens for teaching/tutorial/example work.

With Saxon there is TEACHING within the problem set's 'review' problems... two problems may casually appear to be similar-- but just the simple move, addition or omission of a negative sign and the whole dynamic of the problem is changed. Concepts are combined in the review problems-- if you skip the review then you may be skipping important problem types!  After lesson 30 the review is not really review!

Saxon is a great program if it works for your student.  If your student is struggling or is getting bogged down they would probably be better served with a different program-- this does not mean 'EASIER' program-- just different-- like in a more traditional text. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EKS said:

That said, the Saxon people have indicated that if the student needs to do fewer problems that it is preferable to do all practice problems and then every other review set rather than odds/evens.

Just curious where you find information like this. 

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...