Menu

Looking for a book about womens health for my daughter

mamakelly

After an utterly ridiculous discussion on a local mom Facebook group about tampon usage, I have learned that many mothers do not give their daughters enough information about their bodies. It was really eye opening that a few mothers, even as young as those in their 20's, think that inserting something (tampon, cup) into your v****a, is inappropriate if you haven't had TeA yet. I was truly dumbfounded. Anyway...It made me think about my own daughter (nearly 18) and wonder if I've missed anything in informing her about her body. So now I'm on the hunt for a good book about women's health. I'm not looking for a book that includes social issues, if that makes sense, I just want women's health information. Just curious if anyone here has a recommendation for a good one. 

7 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Taking Charge Of Your Fertility.  Yes, it talks about things like tracking cycles for the purposes of conception or prevention, but it really is a wealth of information about how the female body works.  

Same author wrote a teen version of the same book - Cycle Savvy. All the info about your cycle, not so mch focus on ttc, lol. More info for and about teen girls.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Taking Charge Of Your Fertility.  Yes, it talks about things like tracking cycles for the purposes of conception or prevention, but it really is a wealth of information about how the female body works.  

For younger kid they have a youth version too. I knew a lot about how my body worked and read this book shortly after marriage and still learned new useful stuff.

43 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Same author wrote a teen version of the same book - Cycle Savvy. All the info about your cycle, not so mch focus on ttc, lol. More info for and about teen girls.

Is this just about cycles or does it cover other women's health stuff (UTIs or yeast infections or etc...)

36 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Is this just about cycles or does it cover other women's health stuff (UTIs or yeast infections or etc...)

It's about a lot more than cycles - it does also cover topics on sexuality, STDs, and birth control.  I don't see a ton on UTI's and yeast infections; mostly what's normal and what's not and if this stuff happens it isn't normal, could be one of those, see a doctor.  I used the American Girl book with my kids when they were in early puberty, and gave them this book around the beginning of high school.  This one's got way more nitty gritty.  

I was another that learned so much, even as an adult, from TCoYF and wished I'd had that info much younger, so I was very glad to see she had a book for teen girls.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

It's about a lot more than cycles - it does also cover topics on sexuality, STDs, and birth control.  I don't see a ton on UTI's and yeast infections; mostly what's normal and what's not and if this stuff happens it isn't normal, could be one of those, see a doctor.  I used the American Girl book with my kids when they were in early puberty, and gave them this book around the beginning of high school.  This one's got way more nitty gritty.  

I was another that learned so much, even as an adult, from TCoYF and wished I'd had that info much younger, so I was very glad to see she had a book for teen girls.

Awesome, thank you! My girls have got all the info in the American Girl book down pat, so I'm thinking of moving on to something more in depth (at least for oldest DD).