Menu

Something I Wish I Had Known About The SAT

You can have your student take the SAT and the SAT subject tests at a college instead of a high school. Someone told me about that a couple of months ago and my dd took a subject test this weekend at a college. What a positive difference that was! She had to be there by 8:00 and was out by 9:30, which is as it should be for a one hour test. Whenever she’s taken a subject test at the high school, she never gets out before 12:30 or even later. For a one hour test! Also, it was much more comfortable for her to take it at the college. It always makes her nervous to go into the high school near us and there have often been kids who are disruptive. She said everything was just calm and quiet during the testing. This was the best standardized test taking experience she’s ever had. Just thought this info might help someone.

• Like 5

Yes!! AND - there are no annoying/disruptive school bells ringing! Even though the test is on a Saturday, some of the high schools my kids have tested at have still had their school bells ringing throughout the day. (Although, it's good to be prepared about those bells since AP exams are usually only given at high schools....)

• Like 2

Yes. My dc have done both for the ACT and they greatly prefer the college setting. My junior is going to be my first one to take the SAT and it isn’t even offered in town. We have to drive 40 minutes to nearby city and there the university hosts it every date. It is that or one fancy private school there and no question my ds wants to take it at the university. 

I agree that’s it was something you might not even think of if you just plugged in the local school as a test center but when you search a larger geographic area there are often college test centers.

• Like 1

Interesting, mine hated testing at the local university -- our state flagship. The one time my older one did they were in a large, 400 person lecture hall and it was a football Saturday, so no parking available meaning I had to drive him and then meet him off campus to pick him up.

As for subject tests, mine have always been able to leave when they are finished with however many they are taking at the high school we use.

• Like 1

Good to know for those whom this applies. In our case, the SAT is only given in 9 test centers in our entire state. One of those is a community college. Closest testing locations for us are 1 1/2 hours away and all high schools.

The ACT is not administered at the local (30 min away) state college. I checked where my DD is attending and on 3 or 4 dates this year, you can take it there. There are 4-5 other locations to take it listed in that city - some of which offer it every time the test is given. So, obviously, check the testing location tool to see what is available.

I know some Hive Members can take these tests at independent testing centers. I'm a bit jealous as those don't exist in our area of the country. :(

• Like 1