Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Critterfixer

Accountability Thread 8/25-8/31

Last week in August. Boy, am I glad to see the end of it in sight. It's been a rough month!

Today's plan--get the grocery list done, and cook something nice for dinner later. Get the school schedule done for a shortened week coming up. Figure out how I want to plan my writing for September. And finish a chapter in my current WIP. Very close to done, but there's still story to write before I type 'the end'. For now. 

• Like 1

Morning! 

Still working on the vast majority of Saturday's list -- for the moment I'll leave it where it is and just plug away as can. 

Today: school in the morning; planning the week on my end; make plans for a food-less birthday celebration for elder DS; exercise; get little guy to Pokemon at the game store; work on The List. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

Morning. Starting the week with a death--we lost one of the old birds this morning. It wasn't exactly expected, but not unanticipated due to her age.

Today's work--school for the boys, writing for me. One boy has cleaning and cooking duty today. The other hopped right on his laundry this morning, which means I have to wait to do mine, but everything should get done eventually. 

• Sad 1

Well, not everything got done. Housework for one boy slid in favor of cooking. He got behind on school and didn't finish until almost four in the afternoon, and then he was beat. I told him he could take an hour to relax, then we'd get dinner headed to the grill to eat around six or so. It was later than that, but it was good. Told him he could do his cleaning tomorrow and rest this evening. 

• Like 1

Morning!

I am not sure what to do with this week.  We were out of town yesterday which was planned.  We were supposed to go apple picking, but it rained so we ended up going to a movie instead.  Can't pretend that Secret Life of Pets 2 is an educational field trip lol.  Then last night, DH told me that he is planning to take Friday off, which messes up my school day.  Especially since he says he needs my help with whatever he has to do with the car.  *sigh*   Which leaves me at 3 days of school this week.  We will do school but, blah.  

I suppose that's no different than when school districts have snow days or change assembly schedules and such, right?

• Like 2

GAH!!!!

Ok, so this morning started out a bit rough.  It took me forever to get the girls up.  Which drives me UP A WALL.  Then, breakfast procrastination.  I was setting a timer last week, I think I am going to have to just make that a regular thing for a few months.  Otherwise they goof and play and don't eat.  

Then, DS6 has already lost his school box.  This year, using small storage boxes my aunt gave us (that she decorated with stickers and the kids names and everything) I set each kid up with a school supply box.  I put 2 pencils (their favorite colors) plus a brand new box of crayons, a pink eraser, a glue stick and a pair of scissors, the most commonly needed supplies.  They were to keep their box in their cubbie with all their other school books.  I thought when we were done with school on Friday, everyone had theirs put away.  I could have sworn it because I was double checking when I had them put their desks away.  Well, his is gone now.  I suspect that he took it into his room to color something (even though we do also have general crayons) but we can't find it in his room anywhere.  SO, we wasted a good 10 to 15 minutes looking for his box before I finally just grabbed a random pencil.  Which of course was the wrong color, but I told him if he had put his box away like he was supposed to, he would have his own pencils.  And he started crying.  I was very not pleased.

Then, he's acting like he can't remember any letter sounds at all, and DD10 is behind me panting and moaning and groaning.  And DD8 is still at the table eating playing with a toy.

I finally called everyone over and said ok, look, we are NOT going to be doing all this drama every single school day.  I am sick of it and done. Does this look like the face of a happy person here? We are only a week in and already we are missing school boxes, I have to yell to get everyone out of bed, and all the rules we talked about last week have NOT been followed today.  This is not how this school year is going to go down.  Our rules are that we wake up ON TIME, so that we can start school ON TIME, and we are not whining and moaning and throwing a fit.  

And they did settle down and get to work.  DD10 was able settle down and focus, and DS6 was able to gather himself together and DD8 got herself started.  SO, DS6 is done for the day now.  He got phonics, math and spelling all done.  He's reading now.  DD10 is finishing up daily math (actually correcting two that she had incorrect) and then going to start on daily grammar.  DD8 is finished with daily math, but is now in the potty. I am trying not to get irked at the potty procrastination because a) she usually has to go this time every morning, b)she is having some potty difficulties the last couple days, and c)while she's sitting there, she is reading lol.  

• Like 2

Morning. Today's list is fairly light--school for the boys, writing for me, and writers' meeting tonight. Mostly just trying to lead a drama-free life this week, and settle back into a steady writing routine after the upheaval of the last few weeks. Seems to be working so far. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Morning. Today's list is fairly light--school for the boys, writing for me, and writers' meeting tonight. Mostly just trying to lead a drama-free life this week, and settle back into a steady writing routine after the upheaval of the last few weeks. Seems to be working so far. 

Hoping for a drama free week for you!

Right now, DD8 is done with daily math, daily grammar, phonics and is working on spelling.  DD10 is done with daily math, daily grammar, and is working on spelling.  I will be doing math with both of them, and DD10 needs to read (DD8 already read while in the potty lol.)  

After lunch, I plan to do some health with all of them.

And, I NEED to finish processing some pics.  

• Like 2

Ok, my brain hurts.  I only have about 40 more images to save.  Everything's processed and converted, I just need to save this last bulk group.  And it WILL NOT SAVE.  I really don't want to have to email my school contact and tell her it's going to be another day.  But I might have to.  

I am going to have lunch right now.  After lunch, math for the girls, then I am going to run to the store to grab a new flash drive to see if that will help.  

I don't know if health is going to get done today.

Somewhere in there I need to squeeze a shower in too.

ETA:  I managed to get them to save.  I had to go through each one individually, which was a bit of a pain.  Still need to run to the store though.

Both girls are done with math.  I am done with lunch.  Pics are saved.  Going to shower then head to the store.

Edited by happysmileylady
  • Like 1

Showered.

Chicken pulled out for dinner (just some BLSL breasts, will be putting them on the grill pan so it won't matter if they are still partially frozen.)

Load of dishes going in the dishwasher.

Load of towels ready to go in the washing machine, will turn it on before we walk out the door.

DD10 is reading.

It is currently raining, looks to stop in about ten minutes or so and we will head out. Expect to be gone about an hour.

When we get back:

chores.  In particularly I need the kids to pick up the dining room and the main room.  The main room is actually mostly covered in a pile of clean clothes so they can fold that and two chores will get accomplished with one task lol.

Then dinner.  Tonight is DD8's turn, we are doing shrimp and chicken fajitas, plus a steamy bag of corn.  I am crossing my fingers she will try a shrimp AND a bite of corn.  But we will see.

ETA:  Actually, after dinner, AGT!  

Honestly, there are just simply not enough hours in the day!

Edited by happysmileylady
  • Like 2

okay!  School days are short this week, stopping 1 - 1:30 as a birthday present to elder DS.  Unusual for us, but he can't birthday foods so I'm working to give his birthday a celebratory feel.  We did well this AM, had to re-orient a few times but kept going, now for a late-ish lunch and afternoon.  I need a nap desperately; everybody needs exercise; the house needs cleaning; and we'll need dinner too. 

@happysmileylady -- totally not enough hours!

• Like 1

Morning!

I went to wake the girls at 7am.  Started out gentle.  Walked over to their bed and softly said "ladies, it's time to get up.  If you don't want yelling you need to get out of bed now."

Ten minutes later I walked back into their room but stood in the doorway and said "it is time to get up now.  The next time I come in here, there will be yelling."  

They managed to get out of bed.  

Everyone is having breakfast now.  I found some pancakes that I made last week in the freezer, so I toasted those up...yay for pancakes without having to make them!  I also made DS6 some scrambled eggs because they are his favorite thing to eat ever, plus, we have 2.5 dozen in the fridge and I need to use some up lol.  I put a 20 minute timer on breakfast today.  I figure 20 minutes has to be plenty of time to eat pancakes, right?  That's 20 minutes from the time they sit down, schools give 30 minutes for lunch but include the time the kids walk to and from the classroom, plus the time spent in line, so I don't think 20 minutes for breakfast is unreasonable.

After breakfast, DS6 will start his work.  I think I am going to do math first.  Then spelling and phonics.  He spent much of yesterday afternoon reading books, on his own, I was so thrilled.  Such a contrast to my reading hating DD10.

The girls will get dressed, then start on their daily math and daily grammar.  Then I will try to get MIF done with DD10, while DD8 does her phonics.  Then I will do MIF with DD8, and DD10 can start her spelling.  Today is 3X day for spelling so that's pretty independent.  Then DD8 will do spelling, and then I will ship both girls off to read.  After lunch we will do the health lesson I planned for yesterday but didn't get to.  

There will also be outside time quite a bit because it's dry and not hot.  

Oh, and we found DS6's school box.  It was in the dining room, on the floor in the corner.  So, everyone has their school boxes.  Yay!

There will also be cleaning today.  No errands to run today or tomorrow, so I am hoping to get the house cleaned.

And I need to get some serious planning finished.  I can't be winging health/science/social studies all year.

• Like 2

Morning. DH will be back late tonight, so the boys get to handle the grill by themselves tonight. I hope they've paid attention. School has started for one boy--he doubled up yesterday so he wouldn't have to do school at all on Thursday. The other boy won't start until about 9:30. He's up to his ears in novel writing at the moment. He'll take his work with him on Thursday.

Today's schedule: Boys have the housekeeping and dinner, but I will need to help with some of the prep work, and make sure the grilling goes well. I need to do a little sweeping in some of the rooms, and generally make sure everything is done with laundry and dishes because I have to work the last three days of the week. And I need to get some good writing done today and decide what I need to be working on that's light and portable for downtime at work. Probably character stuff.

• Like 1

Ok, my kids are schooled for the day.

Well, almost.  My girls are both finishing up their spelling and they don't need me right there for that.  It's absolutely amazing how much more can be done when we start school on time.  

Once they are done with spelling, I will send them off to play, then they will come in and get a choice to do some chores or read.  I suspect DD8 will choose to read, DD10 will chose to do her chores lol.Of course, both things will need to be done, but at least they get to pick the order 😁

So, on tap for me today:

Finish cleaning up the kitchen.  The stove needs a really good scrub down and I still have to wipe-y the cabinets where DD8 flung crap up there swinging her spoon around.  Unfortunately she's not tall enough, even with the step stool, to clean her mess herself.  

Once the kitchen is done and the kids chores are done, I will probably have them vacuum the dining room.  

Then, I am trying to decide if I want to tackle the sorting and organizing of my fabric, or my school stuff.  Which ever one doesn't get done today will have to get done tomorrow.  I should probably do the school stuff first, it should be priority. 

Also, I want to start on my grocery list.  If DH is going to be home on Friday, and we are going to be out of town on Saturday, I will go to the grocery store on Friday.

• Like 2

I changed up my plan.  I took the kids to Fazolis for lunch to bribe them to clean the play room.  I made them raise their hands and solemnly promise to clean without complaint after eating.  They have about 2 more minutes. 

Also DD10 was supposed to do the pork roast tonight, but I forgot to have her get it together, so I am just going to throw pot roast in the crockpot.  That's on the menu for tomorrow so I will just switch it out.  

• Like 2

Today elder DS starts online languages (shout-out to his "Oma", my sweet MIL, who helps pay for the classes).   This week we're running short school days in honor of elder DS birthday Friday -- with his gut problems, we can't do a traditional birthday party with munchies & he's a bit down about that, so I'm adding in some extras across the whole week: movies/videos each night, school stops at 1:00 (as long as they begin by 9:00). 

Today:

• school essentials
    • younger: latin review +
      • math (division game & drill; short puzzle game; MEP lesson)
      • English: WWE, FLL, AAS, keyboarding, IEW poetry review: we can drop AAS if things run short
      • human body science: we're wrapping this up from last year
    • elder: online Greek +
      • decide on a math path, from amongst the options I give him
      • do some math
    • fitness for everybody.  fun fun fun! 
  • me
    • prep for elder DS birthday
    • have boys help bring the living room under control, get laundry away
    • exercise or bust: I've gotten no serious exercise for the past week and am consequently in chronic pain.  !!!!  totally not enough hours in the day.
    • dinner.  Y'all are setting such a good example having the children help/make dinner; I'd like to do more of that. Tonight is pizza night here, I'm pretty sure. 
    • if there's time: school planning:   Set up younger DS online interface; set up parent account.  Figure out next steps in planning. 

Lifting a cuppa to y'all! 

• Like 1

Can I just say I LOVE the idea of a birthday that doesn't involve planning everything around the food? Actually, I'd love a holiday that didn't involve planning everything around the food.  

• Like 1

Boys did the cleaning. They have just put their laundry in the dryer. I should probably do a quick sweep of the rest of the house, and then lie down for my afternoon rest with my character work. I do have to help with the dinner tonight--not a lot, but a little bit. Probably get the boy to chop the potatoes and get them boiling for me.

• Like 1

Morning!

Last day of school for the week, though I might *try* to sneak some in tomorrow.  Probably won't happen with DH home.

DS6 is finished for the day.  He did math, phonics and spelling, he's off reading now.

DD8 has done daily math and is finishing daily grammar.  She still has phonics, math and spelling.  Plus reading

DD10 is finishing up daily math.  She still has math, spelling and reading.

Then we have cleaning the rest of the day.  Tomorrow, I will be grocery shopping at some point, DH will be working on my car at some point.  Then Saturday, we are heading to my parents to do DD8's birthday party.  Her birthday isn't until the 12th of September, but we usually do her party labor day weekend.  We will be driving out in the morning, and driving back in the evening, which will give us Sunday and Monday off.  One of those two days I want to get the kids to the pool for an end of summer swim.  (now, I realize that as I say that what's going to happen is we are going to have a week or two long hot spell in the middle of the September or October.)

So sometime during the weekend, I want to get the house cleaned up, and get the rest of September's lessons planned out.

• Like 1

Morning!  am going through quite a time with elder DS, so I'm hitting the day feeling sort of stunned.  Oh my! 

Today: similar to yesterday.  Get going with classes; do the basics + art/science.  Prep for birthday, clean. 

• School
    • Younger DS: begin with body science +
      • Evan Moor geography
      • Math (division fact program, MEP lesson, puzzle game)
      • English (WWE, FLL, AAS, IEW poetry memorization, keyboard)
      • Latin review
      • Fingerprint drawing (working from Ed Emberley)
    • Elder DS:
      • Background for Latin class
      • Math
      • English: Work on WWS1 end-of-book essay; IEW poetry memorization; read Gawain with me for literature
      • if time: art
  • Birthday prep
    • Get DH's help with wrapping, buying balloons
    • Make paper airship decoration (this will take a bit of time)
    • Sketch out tomorrow's activities
  • Cleaning
    • Usual + some extra time with boys cleaning the art/lego room
    • water the plants.
  • and other stuff as it arises:  think about memory work for body science, languages;

• Like 1

Today is elder DS' 14th birthday.  !!! 

So far, an okay day; but his gut troubles means he feels sick whenever he eats + he's spending a chunk of his birthday morning stuck on the throne, so definitely room for improvement this year, in terms of quality-of-life. 

Today: no school! Except younger DS' class 10-11.  Plenty of exercise for me; let boys play; they get videos tonight; we're going out with my MIL to a place that serves elder-DS-friendly pancakes for dinner.;work on finishing yesterday's list😉 ; catch up on e-mail; figure out academic planner for boys

• Like 1

g'evening!  Here: toodling along.  Today was better on the elder DS health front, his gut seems to be healing albeit slowly and he was willing to eat some croissant & ham, and a bit more at meals, and is less queasy.  DH took boys + MIL on a hike & got the boys' hair cut; I exercised, cleaned a bit, did a library & grocery run, watered the most-desperate plants and am on to dinner, evening stuff, video with elder DS & so on.  Happy last day of August!

• Like 1