Menu

British History

We just made a last minute decision to switch to British History this year for 10th grade dd.  Now I need to plan a course!  I think we'll use Winston Churchill's A History of the English-Speaking Peoples, though I'm not sure whether to use volumes 2-4 (we used volume 1 in middle school) or to use the one volume abridgement.  I'm also looking for supplements and study guides.  Any ideas?

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI

Ambleside Online uses Churchill in Years 7-10;  check each year's page for more ideas on potential books to add in.

Year 7        Year 8           Year 9       Year 10

Also, on the AO site there is a schedule that breaks down each book into 4 smaller readings for each week (obviously, you could go at a faster clip if needed). There is also a page that gives dates for each chapter of Churchill, which is helpful if you are trying to add in other things. 

The 20th Century Day by Day (by DK)  is nice to have to flesh out 1900-1999.  There is a British version (forward by Jeremy Paxman) and an American version (foreward by Arthur Schlesinger). 

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

We used the Galore Park history for Common Entrance-all three books-as a spine for DD’s British history course, and then added resources. It was interesting to see events we had studied in US history from a different POV.  

• Like 4

And just because I'm having fun with this thread (instead of what I should be doing...)

This one by DK looks lovely... History of Britian and Ireland: The Definitive Visual Guide   Just saw that this was linked up thread...

and this looks oh so nice as well... National Geographic The British World An Illustrated Atlas

and I'd love to this one, too... Great Tales From English History  

If only we had unlimited funds and unlimited shelf space.. 😉

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 2

On 8/24/2019 at 2:18 PM, dmmetler said:

We used the Galore Park history for Common Entrance-all three books-as a spine for DD’s British history course, and then added resources. It was interesting to see events we had studied in US history from a different POV.  

Did you take the entire year to complete this or can it be done in one semester? Also, would you mind sharing the resources you used to supplement the course?

Edited by BakersDozen

Ypu could probably read the books in a semester, but you wouldn’t have time to do much else. Figure that this is pretty much what UK kids do for history between age 13-15. We didn’t use the question sets, tests, etc, either, but it was still a pretty full year of reading and following rabbit trails inspired by the reading. 

Edited by dmmetler

21 minutes ago, Lisa in the UP of MI said:

This sounds fun!  Especially since dd and dh are planning a trip to England next summer, so they might be able to see some of the castles!!

When we arrived in Ireland, a few weeks after watching the Irish Castles, we were touring Cahir Castle. It was literally our first day in Ireland.  We walked into a room, DS recognized something and said "I know this castle! This is THE castle!" And rushed off to find a docent...  he said to the docent "Are there Elizabethan cannonball in the wall of this Castle??" The docent looked at him in a bit of shock and said "Yes, there are two." And led him off to show him where.... it was this awesome connection for him to have studied it and then visited. 

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 3