Menu

What's with the ads?

Acorn

Help me be a hostess today

Sometimes I struggle with raising kids who are less introverted than me. I do want them to have friends so I occasionally try to create social events, but I never feel comfortable as a hostess. 

Today, we will have some young teens coming straight after school with others coming before dinner. I’m getting take out pizza. We drink water with meals. I feel like I should buy soda to be a “ hostess” but I’m not thrilled with kids drinking soda. Is lemonade better than sprite? Any alternatives? Do other families just drink water?

We usually eat salad with pizza. I’m not sure if most teens will. What else should I offer with pizza?

I do have fruit and couple kinds of chips for after school or snacks.

• Like 1

I only ever buy pop for the house when we have kids over for a group like that. If you don't want to buy pop, you could offer some of those flavored waters, milk, or juice. I'd offer something other than water, because it makes it seem more like a party. Make a salad if you want. Some of the kids will appreciate it. It might be easier to do a veggie tray, though, as kids here tend to graze all evening.

• Like 5

Not sure if iced tea is a thing where you live but I would do that and lemonade (along with iced water) most likely instead of cokes. My main beef with cokes anymore is that I find half finished cans all over the place with teens around and no one can tell whose is whose later on.....

(also cokes is generic for soda here, LOL, not specific to Coca Cola). 

• Like 3

Variety is the key to making it fun for kids. Have a pitcher of lemonade, grab some Cokes and Sprites, and an orange or grape drink. Have food out when they arrive - chips, carrots and dip, popcorn, etc... Salad is great to have with pizza but not a lot of the kids will eat it. Get some cookies or dessert. Kids like to eat! Make sure you have paper products to make clean up easy. 

• Like 5

I guess it depends on what is your biggest issue with the drink (the amount of caffeine if applicable, sugar, etc.). I noticed when we had our back to school party first people only signed up for water. Then others signed up for Capri Sun. I know Capri Sun pouches are not big, but even teens will drink them. I've never sat down and compared the sugar content of the punch vs soda.

Alternatively you could buy the mini cans of soda if you don't want full jugs or cans. They often have the mini cans at our church potlucks and I feel like that's the lesser evil Ha. 

I agree that if your area drinks sweet tea, that would be a good thing to offer. I'm not sure how well it goes with pizza as I'm not a tea drinker but tea is huge where we live. Maybe some extra ice on the side. 

I personally love lemonade but not sure it's a great mix with pizza. But hey, beggars can't be choosers. I mean unless you want to ask your children what their friends drink. 

18 minutes ago, lmrich said:

Variety is the key to making it fun for kids. Have a pitcher of lemonade, grab some Cokes and Sprites, and an orange or grape drink. Have food out when they arrive - chips, carrots and dip, popcorn, etc... Salad is great to have with pizza but not a lot of the kids will eat it. Get some cookies or dessert. Kids like to eat! Make sure you have paper products to make clean up easy. 

This.

• Like 1

We've had groups of teens over many times. I have never done salad with pizza, but I will put out whatever fruit is cheap and in season and a couple of veggies (carrots, cherry tomatoes, celery) and maybe some ranch dip (homemade). Most of the kids will take some fruit, but only a couple usually mess with the veggies. We usually have a dessert (cookies, brownies, ice cream, nothing big, homemade ice cream was a big hit one time). I do purchase a GF pizza from the stove and bake it for our one GF friend. 

If you guys don't do soda, don't worry about it. One time we had soda or lemonade. Kids all chose to drink lemonade. 

• Like 4

Whatever your family does is fine.  Teens know things are different family to family.

Here most teens have shifted to water.  The individual bottles make it convenient.

Crudites are more likely to get eaten than salad. I would put cheese cubes, almonds, and cut up seasonal fruit with it, especially if students are coming from a school where lunch was at 1030 am. Not that more fat is needed since its on the pizza, but the protein plus fat combo will take the edge off the hunger as students arrive. 

Edited by HeighHo
  • Like 4

Most of the families I know drink water.  The teens will be fine. 🙂  If you like, an easy solution is to have out a container or two of Mio or other drops for those who want to flavor theirs.
Salad is a great choice and probably will be eaten by all. I might consider getting a side or two of breadsticks as well, or popping some from the supermarket in the oven after brushing them with garlic butter.

FWIW, unless the food is really outlandish teens don't often care. I have a young teen that comes over weekly and he brings his own lunch because my kid does eat weird.  This week was an open faced steak sandwich with goat cheese and grilled hot peppers.  Absolutely delicious, but enough out of someone else's comfort zone to make them apprehensive.   Pizza, salad, and ice cold water is definitely within most Americans' range of normal.

• Like 2

As someone with a wheat allergy who can't eat (most) pizza, I think salad is a great idea.  My dd17 doesn't much care for pizza and would be thrilled to eat salad.  I also think that your plan of having other snacks and fruit is great.

We don't drink much soda here (although I have started drinking small cans of Coke to treat migraines); we do try to have soda if a bunch of people are coming over.  It is a much cheaper alternative to the milk or fruit juice that we usually have with meals.  When I buy soda, I usually try to get at least one 2-liter of lemonade to have as an option for people who don't like carbonated beverages.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Acorn said:

Sometimes I struggle with raising kids who are less introverted than me. I do want them to have friends so I occasionally try to create social events, but I never feel comfortable as a hostess. 

Today, we will have some young teens coming straight after school with others coming before dinner. I’m getting take out pizza. We drink water with meals. I feel like I should buy soda to be a “ hostess” but I’m not thrilled with kids drinking soda. Is lemonade better than sprite? Any alternatives? Do other families just drink water?

We usually eat salad with pizza. I’m not sure if most teens will. What else should I offer with pizza?

I do have fruit and couple kinds of chips for after school or snacks.

It's one night, one night of soda won't hurt anyone.  Go buy a couple of 2 liters of something, just to give everyone a bit of variety.  We drink water or milk here, I drink herbal tea during the day but when people are over, having options is important.  And pop just goes with pizza.  You could do like a 2 litre of coke, a 2 liter of lemonade and a jug of tea.  

I think salad is a perfectly fine option to have with pizza.  

Don't underestimate the quantity of food that teens will consume.  You say "some young teens"  after school and "others coming before dinner."  So it sounds like you will have at least 4 teenagers.  You will need plenty of food.  Pizza, salad, chips, breadsticks, fruit tray is probably good, maybe some chicken wings....lol.  And if any of them are teen boys, maybe even more food lol

• Like 5

Games are underway! They sound happy.

Thank you all for ideas. I admit, totally forgot to think dessert. It’s in the oven now.

I didn’t get house as clean as I wanted. Some unnamed people told me family room was ready except for vacuuming. Some people evidently didn’t see the dust, or the school books completely covering coffee table, and then put a load of unfolded laundry on the couch. 

I think this feels hard because it’s one of the few times  that I don’t know the guests or their parents. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Don't underestimate the quantity of food that teens will consume.  You say "some young teens"  after school and "others coming before dinner."  So it sounds like you will have at least 4 teenagers.  You will need plenty of food.  Pizza, salad, chips, breadsticks, fruit tray is probably good, maybe some chicken wings....lol.  And if any of them are teen boys, maybe even more food lol

This will prove to be good advice. I think they have had 2 mini bagels each with ham and cream cheese, plus cheese cubes and veggies.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Acorn said:

This will prove to be good advice. I think they have had 2 mini bagels each with ham and cream cheese, plus cheese cubes and veggies.

Lol....that's just the appetizer round.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Acorn said:

Games are underway! They sound happy.

Thank you all for ideas. I admit, totally forgot to think dessert. It’s in the oven now.

I didn’t get house as clean as I wanted. Some unnamed people told me family room was ready except for vacuuming. Some people evidently didn’t see the dust, or the school books completely covering coffee table, and then put a load of unfolded laundry on the couch. 

I think this feels hard because it’s one of the few times  that I don’t know the guests or their parents. 

I don't think teens care about the house not being spotless. It's fine! Welcome to the wonderful world of letting people into your home!

• Like 2