Menu

An enjoyable blog post: 10 Rules for Parenting Without Regrets by Lydia Netzer

Kareni

I came across this blog post today and enjoyed it. I thought others here might like it, too. The writer of the post is an author and a homeschooler. The post is from early 2018.

10 Rules for Parenting Without Regrets by Lydia Netzer

"My son just turned 18, so he is no longer legally a child. I feel a sense of accomplishment in reaching this milestone without killing him, or having him kill me. He can vote and get his nose pierced, buy cigarettes and get a full time job, sit on a jury and get married. I celebrate that sudden incursion of liberty.

Feeling introspective, and retrospective, on this auspicious birthday, I put together a list of ten rules for parenting without regrets. These are NOT the guiding lights that kept me on some noble path of righteousness for eighteen years. In fact, if we're going with a "path" metaphor, I have been in the ditch, off the cliff, driving backwards at a dangerous speed with a baseball cap turned around backwards on my head and my grinning face sticking out the window, and sometimes sitting in the middle of the road crying and picking at my cuffs. But having come this far, and making many mistakes, but coming out at the end with a lot of pride in my kid, here are the hard lessons that I've learned: ... " [click on the link above to read more]

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I believe in this so much!  Say yes, do hard things, and take your child’s social life as your own responsibility were so pivotal in our family.  I do regret not knowing when to shut up, though...at least somewhat.  Fortunately, my children are forgiving or amnesiacs, or so they say.

• Like 1

Great blog post!  Now I want to go check out her writing, because I identify so much with the need for teetering piles of books.  I howled out loud when reading that section, and I forced DH to listen to me read that part.  I also married someone who does not bother with fiction.

• Like 1