Menu

Dictation: Day by Day vs Writing and Rhetoric

Sarah0000

Has anyone gone from Dictation Day by Day to the dictation in W&R Fable? Did you finish out DDBD Year 2 and was that a smooth transition? Is the dictation in W&R controlled for spelling patterns like in DDBD, or is it that not even an issue by the time the student gets to Year 3?

The dictation in Fable is the only part I'm not sure my student can do cold and independently quite yet, the way he has been doing DDBD. He's finishing up the first half of Year 2 and I'm considering condensing through the second half and first half of Year 3 this semester in order to start W&R Fable next term.

I wouldn't say it's an either or situation between Dictation Day By Day vs. W&R Fable.  Fable is primarily a writing program.  It teaches completely different skills than Dictation Day By Day which is primarily a spelling program.  The dictation in Fable is not controlled for spelling patterns .  I've done both together as I believe they have different purposes.

I’m planning to alternate days with Dictation Day by Day and W&R Fable beginning next term with my son.  Fable is only 14 weeks of lessons done 3 to 4 days a week.  Day one is reading the fable, narration and discussion without writing, so I don’t think it would be too much to do Dictation Day by Day on those days.  The teacher guide of W&R also says you can adapt the dictation portion if it’s too difficult; since you have that skill covered with the Day by Day, I wouldn’t worry about dropping that portion from W&R and focus on the writing portions of the curriculum.

The dictation in W&R fable is several sentences (usually 3) and not at all controlled for spelling patterns.

I wouldn’t hesitate to begin if the only thing you’re unsure of is the dictation, though - it’s a minor detail that can be easily skipped if you are doing dictation elsewhere at his level. We use the dictation sentences as copy work, as DS’ spelling program includes dictation on his level. 

We have prepared dictation offered through ELTL, but since we were already firmly in Dictation DBD, I don't often bother with it.  Book 4 of DBD has 30 weeks (4 passages, 1 review list), cutting down from the 32 of Book 3.  We may use some of the prepared dictation with ELTL this year, but I'm not sure yet.
I figure *dictation* is a part of the program, but that the passages offered don't matter as much as the program writers would like it to.  It's fine to substitute.