Menu

What's with the ads?

VaKim

Amazon subscribe and save question

I have been hesitant to use subscribe and save on items I regularly order because they have such great price fluctuations. For example, a supplement I order constantly changes from around 12 dollars to around 16 dollars. If I were to subscribe monthly when the price was at its low point, for example, then the price was at the high end when the next automatic shipment was due, wouldn't I then be charged the higher price? I'd love to use it for convenience, but if I can't know what the price will be and have to keep checking anyway in order to change it, then I may as well just watch and reorder when the price is low. Anyone have any experience with this?

• Like 2

I quit using subscribe and save because of that issue. Also, some of my items would be 'unavailable'.

• Like 1

Yes, I've reduced my list of subscribe and save items because it is a pain to have to keep an eye on the prices. Some of my items have also been "unavailable" for months in a row and then they end up canceling the subscription.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, VaKim said:

I have been hesitant to use subscribe and save on items I regularly order because they have such great price fluctuations. For example, a supplement I order constantly changes from around 12 dollars to around 16 dollars. If I were to subscribe monthly when the price was at its low point, for example, then the price was at the high end when the next automatic shipment was due, wouldn't I then be charged the higher price? I'd love to use it for convenience, but if I can't know what the price will be and have to keep checking anyway in order to change it, then I may as well just watch and reorder when the price is low. Anyone have any experience with this?

I get an email from Amazon if they are getting ready to ship me a subscribe and save item that has gone up in price.

• Like 2

I quit using subscribe and save because I'd often get an email saying the item was no longer available. When I searched it was available but from a different seller, or in a different size, or some other slight difference. It defeated the purpose of not having to go and order the item. They do always let you know before an item is shipped but I just didn't find the service all that convenient. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

We have some ink at work to make sure we stay ahead of the usage. Yes, I still have to check when I get the email. But the email prompts me to check and not wait for people to tell me they only have one left.

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

Yes, I've reduced my list of subscribe and save items because it is a pain to have to keep an eye on the prices. Some of my items have also been "unavailable" for months in a row and then they end up canceling the subscription.

That has happened to me too.  And also, considering I was mostly using it for all my medical (non insurance covered) needs, and I have bad brain fog at times, it really didn't help anything at all.  Cause what I mainly wanted was not to run out of stuff that I need.

• Like 1

They notify you by email in advance of shipments and then you a week (I don't remember exactly, but it's enough time) to check, edit quantities, and cancel. I get a surprising number of things on subscribe and save, so I just have the habit of checking everything during that window to make sure I'm satisfied. Like I put a couple kinds of dog food on there and I rotate or will cancel if we're ahead. I keep ds' Goodnights on there, lots of supplements, all kinds of things. Even with just that minor check, it's way less hassle than ordering from scratch all the time or running out. 

Yes, some things will be unavailable, but that's just how amazon rolls. As far as pricing, my things are usually in a pretty tight window. You get another 5% off automatically and much more if you have 5+ separate items on your subscribe and save. Usually the price is enough better than the other places that I buy that it's still a deal. I think one time the price had gone way high, and I just canceled. It's not like you have to take any of the items. You have that window to cancel, edit quantities, whatever. You're completely in control.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always go through and check my s&s items before my cut-off for ordering date.  I don't want stuff I don't need at the time.   you can always "skip" a month, or even put it out six months.

I will periodically also go through and put stuff in "every six months" - for items I don't need very often.  (and I can always extend them another six months so I don't have to 'skip' every month.)

there are things I wish were on it.   I order enough, I'll take whatever discount I can get.

18 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

They notify you by email in advance of shipments and then you a week (I don't remember exactly, but it's enough time) to check, edit quantities, and cancel. I get a surprising number of things on subscribe and save, so I just have the habit of checking everything during that window to make sure I'm satisfied. Like I put a couple kinds of dog food on there and I rotate or will cancel if we're ahead. I keep ds' Goodnights on there, lots of supplements, all kinds of things. Even with just that minor check, it's way less hassle than ordering from scratch all the time or running out. 

Yes, some things will be unavailable, but that's just how amazon rolls. As far as pricing, my things are usually in a pretty tight window. You get another 5% off automatically and much more if you have 5+ separate items on your subscribe and save. Usually the price is enough better than the other places that I buy that it's still a deal. I think one time the price had gone way high, and I just canceled. It's not like you have to take any of the items. You have that window to cancel, edit quantities, whatever. You're completely in control.

I had that -and it was the manufacturer - for months. (price nearly doubled. but they were bought by another company.)  I found another source that met all the criteria and I've been using them, even after the first manufacturer finally dropped their price back to where it had been.

I even found a yoga blanket on s&s… we'll see how that works as it's coming in sept.  I returned the last one (not s&s) as "not soft, and very open weave"...sigh.

if you have at least five items -the discount is 15%.  I have a few really inexpensive items (like blistex or a pkt of bath soak) that I'll throw in on those months where I just don't have very many things.    what is offered isn't stable.  I had things on there, then removed from S&S but still on amazon.  that's also a manufacturer thing.   some of the other supplement stores will do 'automatic shipping'.  some will even offer a discount.  amazon is still usually cheaper.

11 minutes ago, VaKim said:

Thanks everybody. What I figured. Not really worth bothering. 

I will say for me that it's much easier to fiddle with S&S and check my list once a month than it is to schlep 4 kids to the store, so there is that.

We do have a, um, surplus of paper towels and garbage bags now, though, because of errant S&S purchases. But I do that when I go to the store anyway because I think we're out of something and the kids just hid it in the pantry.

Edited by EmseB
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I prefer ordering from Boxed over Amazon these days. I get most of our paper products and cleaning supplies there, as well as some hygiene items and groceries. Their house brand, Prince and Spring, is good quality and decently priced, and ordering from them is quicker and less of a hassle than Amazon. They don't have a subscribe and save program, but it is very easy to reorder.

45 minutes ago, EmseB said:

I will say for me that it's much easier to fiddle with S&S and check my list once a month than it is to schlep 4 kids to the store, so there is that.

We do have a, um, surplus of paper towels and garbage bags now, though, because of errant S&S purchases. But I do that when I go to the store anyway because I think we're out of something and the kids just hid it in the pantry.

often multiple stores, since the first doesn't have everything on the list.

18 hours ago, EmseB said:

Lol. I can imagine. I will still order from Amazon (and elsewhere) because it is easier than going to the store. Just won't bother with the subscriptions. 

I had quite a few things on S&S bit ran into many of the problems listed, so I took them off. Over time, I'm back up to 5-10 items again. I actually went through yesterday & changed/removed some things. My main item used to be toilet paper (and before that, diapers!). Now I just add TP to my Wal-Mart order as I notice we are getting low.

The price fluctuations & unavailability (and inability to use coupons on subsequent orders) are my biggest pet peeves.