Menu

The I-don't-know-what-to-title-this Teachers Lounge 8-21-2019

scrapbookbuzz

Theme is self-explanatory! LOL

Hello, and welcome to the Lounge! Pickings are sparse around here today as far as refreshments go. But coffee, tea, and water are
always available!

What's something new you've learned/are learning this week? Here: I'm working through some interesting things about life in general that 
I don't know how to explain to another person yet without them possibly thinking I'm "out there." When I figure out how to explain it in an
understandable way, I'll let you know!

Anyone incorporating some new subjects in schooling this year? Here: not yet, but soon we'll be doing nature study (beginning with cultivated crops)
along with music and art appreciation.

Who's gearing up to make things for a holiday bazaar? Here: maybe. I have the opportunity to contribute to a silent auction happening mid-September.
I was writing out a list this morning of various herbal concoctions I could make for that.

Talk to me! 👂 👂 Ear:

For learning new things this well, I need to learn to make cooler dinners! But I have chicken in the fridge so tonight is another hot one. 

New subjects this year: Spanish (more formal), Creativity, Nature Study/Botany/To Not Kill Plants (first time we have a garden!), Drawing (more formal). For the kindergartner it is all new to him, though. 

• Like 1

herbal concoctions I would buy:

1. elderberry syrup

2. green salve (the comfrey, plantain, calendula variety)--for healing

3. black drawing salve

4. wild cherry cough syrup

5. slippery elm throat drops

6. fire cider

7. kloss's liniment

8. anti-aging essential oil (rosehip or sea buckthorn base)

9. headache essential oil blend

Ok, well, actually that kind of looks like my fall list of stuff I need to make, but you know.... 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Prairirewindmomma, I get it! I should probably get cracking on some elderberry syrup and more fire cider myself! I do have some tinctures
macerating that will be strained the beginning of September. But the black salve, do you make that yourself??

Also, where are you living now that you're by the mountains and the sea?

I'm in the PNW now!  Jobs on the prairie dried up.  My heart still skips a beat when I see wheat waving or a big open sky, but we really love it here.

I've been leaning more towards just using straight clay lately because charcoal stains in the drawing salve, but yeah, it's easy to make. 

I've also been buying Burt's Bees Res-Q ointment instead of making green salve when I get behind. It works well.

I'm still finishing up summer projects (like staining the deck--waiting for some rain to pass!) but I'm getting my order list together for my herbal stuff. I keep an emergency supply of elderberries on hand, but not much else.

• Like 1

Hi Scrap!

I am learning how to ask questions to get my kids making and evaluating their own plans, instead of being directive and making plans for them.

I am pulling together a history of American popular music course for Ds. We have started school, but I won't have it ready til September. Mostly a timeline, library books and lots of listening. 

I am the least crafty person ever, so nothing for the bazaar from me. I'd shop, though!