Menu

AoPS Volumes 1-2

You do not need the competition books to cover highschool math.

The standard canon is covered (in depth and breadth exceeding any standard curriculum) by Intro to Algebra/Geometry/Intermediate Algebra/Precalculus/Calculus.

Number Theory and Counting&Probability are wonderful enrichment topics if you have time, but aren't usually covered in school

• Like 1

Dd needs to learn combinatorics but I don't know if this subject is really just number theory and probability. So maybe the intermediate number theory book might be the one to buy. She'll be done with the pre-cal book soon, but she's curious about group theory, graph theory, and discrete probability. I can't tell if the competition math books are redundant and were created for those not using the entire series given that the standard books do have some problems pulled from competitions.

2 minutes ago, daijobu said:

There is no intermediate NT textbook.  Here is the Volume 1 and Volume 2 TOC.  You can see it's redundant to the other AoPS textbooks, so not necessary to purchase.  

I'd need to check the copyright dates, but I believe Vol 1 and 2 were the first to be published, and then they followed up with the core subject textbooks.

Oh right, I meant the other one, Int CP. Thanks!