Menu

-

alisoncooks

not so much ewww as in icky or nasty but ewww as in it would ruin the washcloths. And yes, while I know stuff like that *could* wash out, I still wouldn't want to use it on my face. The same reason that I had different butt washcloths for cloth diapers than I did for general showering.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 9

I'm guessing he has never cleaned a grill?  Perhaps he really had no idea what would happen to the washcloths in the process of cleaning the grill.  I'm also guessing that when he sees the condition of the rags at the end of the job, he'll understand what all the fuss was about.  

FWIW, I don't wash my grill grates either.  I just heat them to 500 degrees, and go over them with a steel bristle brush.  It's a gas grill, though.  Maybe yours is charcoal?

• Like 5

I wouldn't want nice washcloths used to clean grimy cooking equipment only because it would probably ruin the cloths. I keep rags for those purposes.  Otherwise, it wouldn't bother me to use a cloth on my face that had previously been used to clean a grill, assuming it had been washed well.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Well, I don't think it's necessarily gross, as I would assume that your washer would have the ability get that stuff out of the washcloths.

However, I would expect that the job itself would probably destroy the wash cloths.  My DH cleans our grill grates with a steel wire grill grate brush.

My mother on the other hand pretty much never cleans grill grates because she covers them with foil every time she uses the grill.  

This. I would not think it gross to use something on a mess (even to clean up poop) then wash it and use it on my face.

But I don't think the grease/oil would come off and it would ruin my nice washcloths!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

RABBIT TRAIL: do you say "strowed"? Online dictionary just told me it's an archaic form of strew/strewn, but I grew up saying it. Maybe it's regional? Or just plain country...

I've never heard strowed. I'd use strewn.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

2 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Well, I don't think it's necessarily gross, as I would assume that your washer would have the ability get that stuff out of the washcloths.

However, I would expect that the job itself would probably destroy the wash cloths.  My DH cleans our grill grates with a steel wire grill grate brush.

My mother on the other hand pretty much never cleans grill grates because she covers them with foil every time she uses the grill.  

I heard you are not supposed to use wire any more bc people have ingested little bits of broken off wire. We got rid of ours a few years ago.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/a32733/wire-grill-brush-dangers/

Edited by unsinkable
  • Like 2

I would object too.  I have rags for a reason!   I have found, some of that type of stuff - doesn't come all the way out.  it also breaks down the fiber of the terry, so the washcloth is "changed".

I've been detailing cars, and watched an entire thing on how to care for your microfiber towels so you don't wreck them.

• Like 1

I'm more grossed out by the fact that he didn't clean it Monday night and transported it back home in his vehicle in that state.  Then let it sit.  Eww.

But to answer your question - my DH would be buying me new washcloths and the ones he used would become garage rags.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Yes, it'd totally ruin the cloths with char stains. I guess he figured we'd wash them and continue to use them, even if stained. 

It's not a grill with grates -- it's like a flat hibachi-looking thing. Like a 2'x3' flat surface. With thick grease and char solidified in the corners from those hundreds of burgers. (That's the gross bit for me...)

He's done cleaning now. Though my dish soap and all the cleaning rags are strowed about the back yard. *sigh*

RABBIT TRAIL: do you say "strowed"? Online dictionary just told me it's an archaic form of strew/strewn, but I grew up saying it. Maybe it's regional? Or just plain country...

I'd say strown in that sentence I think, which is probably not a word, lol. 

I would have zero problem with dh doing that.  We don't have 'nice' washcloths though.  We have wash clothes that serve the purpose of cleaning my face and they don't get turned into rags until the are ripped or thinning.  Stains wouldn't bother me at all.  And grease would certainly wash out with a good soaking first.   But i know dh would never use washcloths for that job unless all the rags were dirty.

• Like 1