Menu

Pretty cool tablet for "getting your brain back" :)

Dicentra

Something else that I think is share-worthy (besides the erasable highlighters 🙂 ) - this tablet by reMarkable:

https://remarkable.com/

One of the company's mottoes is "Get your brain back." 🙂  I admit - it's kind of pricey for a niche device but for anyone who is a note-taker and who fills notebooks, sketch books, journals, scribbles on ebooks, etc., this device is genius.  It was originally crowd-funded by a company in Norway.  I just purchased one to do grading for my courses (I can write directly on the students' PDF assignments that they send to me and then email them back) and the only small suggestion that I have is that I wish that e-ink came in color.  Which it doesn't.  On any device.  So that really isn't reMarkable's fault. 😉 This is some of their marketing statements:

"reMarkable - the only digital device that feels like paper. A tool for note-taking, reading and reviewing documents.  No social media, e-mail or notifications. No distractions, just you and your thoughts."

It really does feel pretty darn close to writing on paper - not at all like writing on glass like an iPad does.  I thought that maybe some of the readers on the "Book a Week" threads might like this, @Robin M. 🙂

It also struck me as something that @Susan Wise Bauer might like!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

The price tag ($499) or it would be a nice competitor/alternative to Livescribe Echo

I know - the price tag seems high given the fact that it does less than many other tablets.  I don't have any experience with the Echo - have you used it, @Arcadia?  The reMarkable tablet has zero lag when writing and that's a huge plus for me.  I swear I'm not affiliated with the company - I just really, really like the tablet. 🙂

Just now, vonfirmath said:

I was really tempted until I saw the price tag. That's a lot of notebooks.

Very true.  It is. 🙂  It can do more than just replace notebooks, though.  I tend to not want to purchase or read non-fiction on my ereader because it's awkward to take notes and scribble things.  As long as you can get the book in epub format, you can download it to the tablet and write all over it like you would a paper book.  The tablet is marketed to "paper people". 🙂

It also has handwriting recognition software so that you can handwrite stuff and it will turn it into text.

I think I'm just really enamoured with this thing... 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dicentra said:

I don't have any experience with the Echo - have you used it, @Arcadia?  🙂

I have use Livescribe and Moleskine smartpens in store. I am looking at buying the Echo for myself and my kids because of the audio recording function which is a nice to have. 

55 minutes ago, Dicentra said:

The thing I use most and like best is that you can upload PDFs and write and scribble all over them.  So if you have curriculum in PDF form or anything else in PDF format, you can upload it and annotate it to your heart's content. 🙂

I use Notability on iPads since we own so many iPads (I have three from the 12.9” to the mini and my kids have the 128gb iPad Air). We used that for MEP maths and other PDFs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dicentra said:

The thing I use most and like best is that you can upload PDFs and write and scribble all over them.  So if you have curriculum in PDF form or anything else in PDF format, you can upload it and annotate it to your heart's content. 🙂

I would completely love this but can't possibly justify it, lol. But, omigosh, it would probably be amazing with a digital planner. :wants:

Microsoft Edge lets you annotate pdf's as well and you can use it with a lot of tablets now (and I think with any Windows touchscreen, including computers). I don't know how it compares, as my touchscreen is awaiting repair, lol, but I know my dd uses it for pdf's and web sites as well. 

People who just want to digitize their own notes might check out the Rocketbook line of reusable digital notebooks. You write in them with Frixion pens and use your phone to send it to email, Google Drive, Evernote, or a few other places. If you just want to try it out without buying a notebook, you can print the paper from their website. It won't erase as well as the notebooks but you can use the app and see how you like it. https://getrocketbook.com/

They can also be useful as just a scribbler notebook for pages you don't need to keep, because they erase pretty fast. The old style, which is what I have, erases the entire notebook in the microwave, lol. dd used one last semester so we tested this and it worked really well. The new style erases with a damp cloth, which seems much less convenient to me. 

I'm going to try it out soon (she says optimistically).  If anyone has Rocketbook experience, please give all the advice! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paige said:

Could it be used for drawing and art? My DD wants a pricey art/drawing computer thing but this would be better if it also does normal tablet stuff.

It can be used for drawing and art but not in color.  And it doesn't actually do normal tablet stuff (surf the net, etc.). 🙂  Here they talk about sketching:

My daughter has a digital art tablet and she loves it.  Well worth the cost, though it wasn't horrible.  We started with a small inexpensive one first to see how she liked it.  This past Christmas we bought her a more elaborate model.

GAOMON M106K 10 x 6 Inches Painting Digital Graphics Pen Tablet with 12 Express Keys  This is the one.

• Like 1