Menu

Aaargh. People probably coming to view house!

Laura Corin

3 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

We just started clearing out the house to put on the market in spring. Estate agent has two keen buyers wanting to see now! Aaargh. Bathrooms are clean. I'll scrub the kitchen tonight. New pillows bought and fresh house plants. Aaargh.

I feel your pain.  I am so over showing our house.  

• Like 1

I remember those days.  My house hit the listing early afternoon on a Wednesday.  I asked the realtor and she said no one would want to see it before Friday.  I went kayaking for an hour and came back to 3 messages from the realtor....for showings THAT afternoon/evening.

• Like 3

Selling a house was one of the most stressful things I've ever done.  I was a basket case the second our realtor left after taking pictures and signing the contract.  I didn't think I could get worse but then once it was actually listed, like 3 hours later,  all I could do was obsess about when we'd get out first showing.  I was convinced our house wouldn't sell because it wasn't in a nice area.  We got an above asking offer within 12 hours.  Even my realtor was shocked at that.

Do you/your realtor know what you want to list it at with it fixed up?  What would you list it at in as-is condition?  I just cleared out, fixed up, and sold my dad's house.  Right up there with the worst experiences on my life -- LOL.

If they come in (and they seem very interested) and you get what you want for it now, that will save you the trouble of getting it sell ready.  Your main stress will be packing, finding a place to move, and actually move -- but you will have to do that whenever you sell!

Good luck if they come through.  We live in a hot market and we were under contract for asking price on the 2nd day of it being on the market.

• Like 1

Good luck. Maybe one of these two will want it and you won't have to go through showing it to a bunch of prospective buyers. We're looking for an agent to come in and tell us the minimum we have to do to get ours market ready. We're hoping to have it ready by the middle of next year. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Do you/your realtor know what you want to list it at with it fixed up?  What would you list it at in as-is condition?  I just cleared out, fixed up, and sold my dad's house.  Right up there with the worst experiences on my life -- LOL.

If they come in (and they seem very interested) and you get what you want for it now, that will save you the trouble of getting it sell ready.  Your main stress will be packing, finding a place to move, and actually move -- but you will have to do that whenever you sell!

Good luck if they come through.  We live in a hot market and we were under contract for asking price on the 2nd day of it being on the market.

Thanks. The market is unknowable, what with Brexit and all. The house isn't in bad nick, it's just cluttered.

That is a lot to handle when you did not expect such a quick response from the agents.

Would you be able to get a cleaning crew in to go over the entire house before the prospective buyers come in? In my area, cleaning companies have a special service called "open house" cleaning.

the current tip from local realtors is to boil a kettle full of apple cider with cinnamon sticks on the cooktop and leave it there. Apparently, the aroma wafts around the house and neutralizes any smells or odors that a lived-in house might have (e.g. last night's pasta, cleaning product used to scrub the kitchen sink etc). Alternatively, fresh coffee powder in an open container also does a good job. Good luck.

Edited by mathnerd

4 hours ago, mathnerd said:

Would you be able to get a cleaning crew in to go over the entire house before the prospective buyers come in? In my area, cleaning companies have a special service called "open house" cleaning.

the current tip from local realtors is to boil a kettle full of apple cider with cinnamon sticks on the cooktop and leave it there. Apparently, the aroma wafts around the house and neutralizes any smells or odors that a lived-in house might have (e.g. last night's pasta, cleaning product used to scrub the kitchen sink etc). Alternatively, fresh coffee powder in an open container also does a good job. Good luck.

Thanks. We've had bad luck locally finding good cleaners. We have a cleaning company come twice a month, and even when we ask them to really go after an area, it's not good. The company does rental turnover cleaning, so they should be thorough, but they aren't. We are hiring them for extra hours this week so they can manage to do a half arsed job on the whole house!

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

I remember you were interested in a house a month ago? Did you pursue that house?

We didn't. Things are too volatile here and we can't afford to accidentally buy high then have to sell low.

4 hours ago, katilac said:

Are you guys just downsizing or do you have plans to move elsewhere? I'm out of the loop. 

Just downsizing. I work locally and don't have much interest in changing jobs.  We have four bedrooms and three acres; it's very expensive to heat; we spend too much time and energy on keeping the garden under control.

• Like 1