Menu

Apply or not?

Jaybee

I'm struggling with a decision and could use some help thinking it through. After many many years of homeschooling as a SAHM, I started working about 30 hrs/wk 18 months ago. The job is not one that requires a lot of education (I have my master's), but my background (outside of master's) is helpful. The job requires a lot of detail work that must be done correctly, and I regularly use 3 different software programs besides the usual Office Suite. My pay is not high, but it isn't bad for this area, especially for a part-time job. I have a good relationship with my boss and the work atmosphere with the other workers is positive. It has flexibility, in that it is easy for me to take off to pick up my non-driver or go to the doctor, etc., or even to take unpaid days here and there above and beyond my paid vacation days. My boss is very happy with my work; I'm good at my job. But...I'm kinda' bored. And I'm not a young chick. I have never really wanted a career, but if I am going to have to work, I'd like to be doing something that I enjoy more and that uses more of my skills. 

So...I have always loved college campuses. I find them invigorating. I haven't really been looking for another job, but I still check local (and where my kids are) job postings from time to time. And the local college has a job opening that interests me. One ds is attending there, so I think after a year there might be an additional financial advantage toward tuition, but I'm not sure yet. More hours, more money, which would be helpful. It would put me in a position to be a bit of a mentor, which I would enjoy. I plan to talk to someone I know who works there, to get more information, but in general, the school has a good reputation and atmosphere.

My two big deals about applying:

1) My boss. It isn't easy to get someone to do this work and do a good job of it. I just hate the thought of doing this to him. He would tell me to do what I need to do, but I'm pretty sure he would be hurt and frustrated, especially when he took a chance on an older woman who had been out of work for a long time. He's a good boss.

2) Do I want to add ten more hours, and possibly lose some of that flexibility that I value?

I know no one else can make the decision for me, and even if I apply, I might not be anywhere in the running for it. But words of wisdom would be appreciated.

• Like 1

My aunt worked for the same man her entire career. Over 40 years - just the two of them. She was hard working, loyal, and essentially did the duties of 2-3 positions. When he decided to retire, he gave her 4 weeks notice and no "thanks for being such a wonderful, loyal employee" retirement gift/bonus. Due to her age, she was basically forced into retirement a number of years before she was financially ready.

My aunt's story is why my answer is - do what's best for you. Your boss will figure it out.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, lovelearnandlive said:

All I can say is, I wouldn’t recommend keeping a job because you’d feel badly for your boss if you left. Try to make a decision based on what is best for you and your family without that worry on you.

Yeah, I know that in my head, but my heart and sense of loyalty keep getting in the way...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lovelearnandlive said:

All I can say is, I wouldn’t recommend keeping a job because you’d feel badly for your boss if you left. Try to make a decision based on what is best for you and your family without that worry on you.

Great advice.

I would for sure apply.  Take it one step at a time.  If you get the interview then you will be able to learn more about the position and see if it would be a good fit.  

• Like 5

Bummer. After talking with my friend who works there, I went on to fill out the online application, and it looks like it's been filled. There are two of that position, one on the local campus and one further away. They are both still listed, but both links go to the job at the other campus, and I don't want to commute. I will call tomorrow to make sure. Thanks, all; you helped give me the courage to do what I really wanted to do. Even though it looks like I can't do it, lol. But maybe next time I can jump to it more quickly.

• Like 5

It looks like that position may have been filled, but I will give you the same advice that I always give to my DD:   If you are interested, always apply. If you don't apply, it becomes  impossible for  you.  If someone applies for something, and doesn't get it, too bad, but they tried and the possibility existed.

• Like 3

I agree that your boss should not factor in to your decision.  

You don’t say how old your non driver is and that would make a difference to me.  I think our young teens still need us to be flexible if possible. 

I also agree that the next time something like this comes up be ready to apply and then if you get an offer you can make a decision.  Maybe get your resume updated and just be ready.  

• Like 1