Menu

And This Is Why We Homeschool....

knitgrl

DS6, who rarely picks up a pencil on his own, spent 20 minutes on ONE math problem today. He was supposed to color the same color the little pictures of a group of 8 toys that were the same. In the group there were 2 teddy bears, and he decided to color the left paws yellow and the bellies orange, each ear was a different color, etc....oh and he drew for each bear a quiver of arrows and "ice bombs". It should have taken about three minutes to complete, but...he was getting fine motor skills in, so that's good, too.

Edited by knitgrl
  • Like 16
  • Haha 4

Reminds me of DS#2 along about 5th/6th grade, when many of his MUS math workbook pages had stick figure ninjas amongst the math problems -- hiding behind them, vaulting over them, dropping down from the ones above, arming, attacking... It's a wonder that actual math ever got done some days with so much ninja warfare going on... 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I have one like that, too. She also did not read until she was in 5th grade -- and I shudder to think of how she would've felt if she'd been in a class full of reading peers. Homeschool has been a good thing for us. 

I am certain that if this child had been brought up in a typical American household with few books and lots of screen time, the public school would have been pressuring us to have him diagnosed as ADHD. He has lots of what I consider typical boy energy, but he can also sit and pore over Calvin & Hobbes for an hour at a time.

• Like 4

My daughter can do mental math easily, while struggling with writing numbers, but she'll draw the numbers different sizes and have stories about them. 

(My big regret this past year (kindergarten) was that I gave in to the once-a-week nanny wanting to "help teach" while I was out running errands.  She would ride on DD to write the numbers exactly right, which kind of made for a big set-back in willingness to do almost any academic work for a while... *sigh*  Said nanny is moving away this fall...)

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 8:13 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

That should totally be marketed as a supplement. The one thing that would hold my ds's interest in history, LOL. 

Actually, quite a few people would by that book, I bet!!  You could use an old history in the public domain, anything pre 1923 or 80% of the works from 1924 to 1963 have expired copyright, here is an explanation about the 1924 - 1963 books.

https://lifehacker.com/access-millions-of-free-books-added-to-the-public-domai-1837073153

It could be the next big thing, herp history!!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My kids used to draw in their numbers and letters with various animals and things when they were younger...now they are just get er done, but they do still draw in their off time, just not on their school work.  

They get their artistic abilities from my husband's side, if I drew on my work it would just look messy.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 11:52 PM, ElizabethB said:

Actually, quite a few people would by that book, I bet!!  You could use an old history in the public domain, anything pre 1923 or 80% of the works from 1924 to 1963 have expired copyright, here is an explanation about the 1924 - 1963 books.

https://lifehacker.com/access-millions-of-free-books-added-to-the-public-domai-1837073153

It could be the next big thing, herp history!!  

I bet Susan Wise Bauer would go for that!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I thought of this thread today when my 5yo wrote the answer to a subtraction problem as 1, then decided that the 1 was a tree and needed to have a monkey hanging on it...and there was a worm on the tree too...and the monkey didn't say "please," but the worm still gave the monkey a banana...and...and...and...

Meanwhile I'm sitting there thinking, you have six more problems to answer and I really need them to be finished before you're old enough for a driver's license, child. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3