Menu

Vent? JAWM? Need solace? Teens learning to drive — how to relax? Or commiserate with me?

Pen

9 hours ago, chiguirre said:

I'll give you a bit of hope. Eventually, they do learn and it gets easier.

Dd was away for 6 weeks this summer and I dreaded starting to drive with her again. I thought we'd be back to square one (and really, once was enough). But, things have been going smoothly.

I’m glad to hear that!!!

top-gradient.png

go-oregon.com Travel Info

I like roads like this better on travel brochures!!!    This one at least has a significant paved margin beyond the white lines. But I used to think a picture like this pretty and now instead of looking at pretty fall colors, I’m looking at the guard rail area and feeling a little queasy just from the photo!!!
  • Like 2

I don't know if it gets better.  I'm on student driver #2 and this is my 5th year with teen drivers.  Student #1 took 3 years to learn.  Students #2 is probably close to ready.  I feel like there's just so many variables to anticipate.  We see wrecks all the time.  Just yesterday ds had to drive around wreck carnage and there were people in stretchers and tons of emergency people and vehicles.  At a stupid plain old intersection where there should never be a wreck.  Last year we had to drive on the interstate to a class and we saw wrecks all the time.  We even passed what I can only presume was a fatality before the emergency people arrived.  I feel like I am on the verge of panic attack about them driving.  Oldest will not drive into the city because it's so crazy.  I feel like there are so many drivers who simply do not care for their life or anyone else's.  Many many people drive way over the speed limit and whip in and out lanes without looking. I am scared to drive in our city and I have been driving here for 35 years.  

So yes I totally commiserate!!!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mbelle said:

I don't know if it gets better.  I'm on student driver #2 and this is my 5th year with teen drivers.  Student #1 took 3 years to learn.  Students #2 is probably close to ready.  I feel like there's just so many variables to anticipate.  We see wrecks all the time.  Just yesterday ds had to drive around wreck carnage and there were people in stretchers and tons of emergency people and vehicles.  At a stupid plain old intersection where there should never be a wreck.  Last year we had to drive on the interstate to a class and we saw wrecks all the time.  We even passed what I can only presume was a fatality before the emergency people arrived

Aaagh.  

This brought up some memories that might be part of issue for me—a classmate in elementary school whose two older sisters died in a wreck that we saw from our school bus...

and some others like that

.  I feel like I am on the verge of panic attack about them driving.  Oldest will not drive into the city because it's so crazy.  I feel like there are so many drivers who simply do not care for their life or anyone else's.  Many many people drive way over the speed limit and whip in and out lanes without looking. I am scared to drive in our city and I have been driving here for 35 years.  

I wonder why? Feeling that new cars are virtually self driving? Texting obsession? Low level pervasive depression?

They must see wrecks too. 

So yes I totally commiserate!!!

Thanks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pen said:

Aaagh.  

This brought up some memories that might be part of issue for me—a classmate in elementary school whose two older sisters died in a wreck that we saw from our school bus...

and some others like that

I wonder why? Feeling that new cars are virtually self driving? Texting obsession? Low level pervasive depression?

They must see wrecks too. 

Thanks.

I do not know.  It's  really shocking.  I have thought maybe they think they passed the driving test so they have false confidence in their ability, or yes texting, or just being in such a hurry and being self important and we all need to get out of the way.  I hadn't thought of depression.

I think that maybe driving tests should be a bit more locally specific.  Our state has changed to a graded liscense for ages 15 to 18, but that doesn't count for adults just getting their driving liscense, they have full liscense as soon as they pass.   I'm not sure how the local specific liscense would work, but people in rural areas need to be able drive at a younger age and have a different set of issues than suburban and city drivers.  I'm really not sure what the answer is, but it is alarmingly easy to pass a driving test in our area and maybe that needs to change. We have our kids do 2 years of learners permit and they take professional driving lessons and then they take a defensive driving course.  I guess though it's hard to make people care and be conscientious drivers if they don't see the need. 

• Like 1

DD was driving a tractor by herself at 9, got her permit the day after she turned 15 and her license the day after she turned 16. Being in a car with her driving is actually less stressful for me than driving myself (unlike me, she's very patient and doesn't yell at stupid people, lol).

My ADD + anxiety disorder DS? I have PTSD from trying to teach him to drive. I'm not kidding, I want to cry every time I drive with him because I just cannot comprehend how anyone can be that bad of a driver. I have paid for 20+ hours of professional behind-the-wheel instruction, plus around 10 hrs of class time, plus many many hours with me, and I am still totally floored by some of the mistakes he makes. He is living off campus this year and will have to drive, and it frankly scares the hell out of me. 😥

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Plum said:

I get motion sick really easy too. Taking my iron pills, not looking down ever, not eating before going out and starting on straight roads helped. 

Thanks! I didn’t know iron could be related!!! 

I’ll bet I’m on the low side. 

I need to see if my vitamins or minerals include at least a minimum iron dose.  

And when I just looked that up I came to this article about a type of “glasses” that might help:  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/could-these-glasses-cure-your-motion-sickness-180969722/

I think I need to do some more motion sickness research.