Menu

Can we talk about trivets (hot plates)?

matrips

what kind do you have?  Silicone/wood/metal...

We just got new granite in our kitchen and I’m trying to be careful.  However, there are so many choices- and then I picked out one with a pattern and afterwards read, in one article only,  to use solid ones to avoid a pattern appearing on the granite.  

So please tell me what you love! And help me not ruin my new countertops 🙂

• Like 1

I use trivets on my granite. They have patterns. I cannot even fathom how a pattern would transfer to the granite as it's not actually touching the granite. There are little pegs/feet on the bottoms of the trivets. I have two wooden ones with little rubberized feet. I have one metal one (patterned) with the same type of rubber feet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think you need trivets. I have engineered quartz counters, which are pretty heat resistant but do have a filler that can be affected. I keep several thick hot pads from https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/williams-sonoma-logo-pot-holder/?pkey=s|oven mitt|92  on hooks on my wall ready to grab things from the oven or to put a pan on. I keep a glass cutting board (something I'd obvious never cut on) to the right of my stove, and that's what most things land on. It's pretty, and I never have to think about bringing it in and out. It was like $3 at a discount store, nothing fancy, but it works, lol.

On my wood dining table and wood island counters, I use Le Cruset metal trivets, silicone trivets from Ikea, whatever I've got lying around. I like 'em all.

But really, I'm not sure you need anything with granite. It doesn't have polymers, holding it together. I think if you put a SCORCHING pan on the granite could crack, yes. And, shhh, but I've broken glass pans coming out of the oven when I put them on something that was wet. I'm kinda dumb like that, lol. 

So do what you like, but having it easy access is the main thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EKS said:

Isn't the point of granite not to have to use trivets? 

We've had a granite countertop for close to 20 years (the same one).  I've never used trivets, and it looks totally fine.

Yeah, ours is nearly a decade old and I put hot pans directly on it all the time. No issue. That was the big selling point with granite!

• Like 3

I don’t use them for my granite countertop, but I do use them on my table. I bought several square white bathroom tiles and put some felt dots on the back corners. They have lasted me twenty years and counting, cost about a dollar a piece, and look good with my white dishes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have some thick cork mats from Cost Plus that I bought years ago that are my go to main trivets for things that are really hot and that hold their heat for a long time.  The pieces of cork are about 3/4 of an inch thick and networked as chunks, so they are flexible and not brittle like a pure cork mat can be.  These make it possible to take a big clay or stoneware casserole out of the oven and set it down any where without harming the surface or cracking the clay.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, EKS said:

Isn't the point of granite not to have to use trivets? 

We've had a granite countertop for close to 20 years (the same one).  I've never used trivets, and it looks totally fine.

That’s what I thought.  But it seems from googling that is not the case anymore.  More to do with the sealer being damaged than the granite itself it seems.  Not all sealers as good as they used to be maybe?  I like the new granite and figure I’ll play it safe with trivets.  It just got confusing reading about the different trivets.

2 hours ago, matrips said:

I’ll play it safe with trivets.  It just got confusing reading about the different trivets.

Well the good thing is, you probably don't have to be too perfect. You can probably use almost anything you like and be fine. 

Lang 5035094 Color My World Cutting Board                                       Here's a cute glass cutting board like I was talking about. They come in all kinds of patterns to suit you and aren't expensive.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/87077700/  These are cork.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50289517/  I have this one.

So just me, but I would *not* use a metal trivet on the counter. They're fine on a table, but on the counter you use lots of different sizes and want to set things down quickly. So don't use metal and wham your glass 9X13 down on it, kwim? LOL But really, because your counters are pretty impervious ANYTHING you like will work. :smile:

• Thanks 1

I crochet my own out of 100% cotton as well. I mostly use them as pot holders and under a hot pan to another burner that isn't on, on my glass stove top. It freaks me out to put a hot pan on an area of the glass that isn't hot. I've had more than one pyrex dish not react well to sudden temperature changes and I love my glass cooktop so I may be a wee bit over protective of it, lol.

My favorite crocheted trivets are my chickens from this pattern.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, matrips said:

That’s what I thought.  But it seems from googling that is not the case anymore.  More to do with the sealer being damaged than the granite itself it seems.  Not all sealers as good as they used to be maybe?  I like the new granite and figure I’ll play it safe with trivets.  It just got confusing reading about the different trivets.

Sounds like some kind of scam run by the trivet industry, lol. 

• Haha 2

Also, you can EASILY reseal the granite now and then, so losing one of the best things about granite countertops (able to put hot things on it) to protect the sealant that takes 10 minutes to redo once a year, seems crazy to me. 

Seriously. Actually, we hardly ever reseal ours...every few years, with no stains. And yes, I've left spills on it by accident, etc etc. 

You won't damage it. 

• Thanks 1

There is an new thing on the market that is really engineered granite.   Not the same as regular granite and you have to be careful with it.  Apparently, it transfers colors and doesn’t take the hot stuff.  From what I understand it is marketed as a cheaper granite. 

May granite has had a red paper left wet on it and nothing stains it.   I reseal about every couple of years, put hot stuff on it and nothing.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

There is an new thing on the market that is really engineered granite.   Not the same as regular granite and you have to be careful with it.  Apparently, it transfers colors and doesn’t take the hot stuff.  From what I understand it is marketed as a cheaper granite. 

May granite has had a red paper left wet on it and nothing stains it.   I reseal about every couple of years, put hot stuff on it and nothing.  

That makes sense. 

Because I've spilled red wine, elderberry syrup, had red popsicles melt on it, sat countless hot pots and pans right out of the oven on it, etc. Looks like new. 

Now, the darker colors are supposed to be less porus than the lighter colors as far as stains, so there is that. We have a dark one. 

• Like 1