Menu

CTC vs Mathematical Reasoning vs Horizons Math

ktgrok

In my search for a spiral yet more "fun" deeper thinking curriculum for my son who is advanced in math, a natural thinker with math, but easily frustrated and has some special needs (PANDAS, ADHD), I am landing on Mathematical Reasoning. I haven't heard much about it, but it seems to cover all he'd need to cover in a different way he may like. And I am a huge fan of spiral. As in, it is a must. I don't know if it does or does not have enough fact review, but it's simple enough to add a few minutes of flash cards to our day, I already have those. 

I'm also looking at Horizons Math. It looks very similar to the CLE I used with other kids, but a more colorful, etc. And probably less dead animals in the word problems, lol. (seriously, CLE has the most depressing word problems...so many baby chicks eaten by foxes, etc)

Other option is CTC math. Self grading, and he can move easily to higher grade levels in various topics. He loved khan academy, but I didn't feel it was enough. It isn't spiral, but it does have weekly review questions now, so if those find an issue we can easily go back and review whatever he forgot. 

Thoughts?

I don't want too much busy work, but don't want to skip over basics and have big gaps. It is important to me that basic skills become second nature so he can use brain power on bigger things later. 

Edited by Ktgrok

Bump for you. I am not going to be super helpful.

We only used it for K.  I'm pretty mathy, and there didn't seem to be enough explanation at the higher levels. That may be just my love of math talking.  😃

Is there an explanation of the concepts for later grades?  For the K there really wasn't.   

What we liked about Mathematical Reasoning for K: very colorful, variation of activities, critical thinking kind of problems worked in. 

I ended up using Math in Focus starting in 1st for both ds' and kept with it through Course 1 (6th grade).  I would say MIF is mastery though.

Isn't Horizons also spiral and colorful? Not to give you more work to do, but if you haven't looked at that, it might be worthwhile to consider.

I have used Horizons with 3 kids.  (we tried Right Start, TT and Saxon a long time ago).  At least 1 of my kids grasps math fairly easily and makes those jumps to higher understanding quickly.  He seemed to like Horizons, but I did cross out problems if he could get 4 or 5 correct.  That way he could work on focusing instead of rushing through and making mistakes because he was bored.  One thing I do differently with child 3 is to add in some mental math.  Sometimes we pull out a Singapore book and do a page or two for something different, but we don't stop the Horizons, it's just something else to do if we have time.  I found the Horizons 4 to be a jump in difficulty.  I do look through the teachers book for instructions, but I don't do everything they say because it's a lot and sometimes I add my own twist to their recommendation.