Menu

Accountability Thread 8/18-8/24

Back to school for us this week. Fall term is starting. I don't have all my books yet, but enough to start with.  Other than that, I'll be writing hard. I want to finish this first draft by the end of August, and then start revisions for another story and character work for two other stories in September and October. Plus catch up on my to-read pile. 

Today--grocery list (done), school planning for the week, write 2,000+ words on the draft, and seek out a possible haunted mansion for another story. I know the one I sort of want, but I need to look at architecture, style of house, and then really plan for that house to be the quiet character in the story, very important and beloved in its own way.

• Like 1

Morning! 

This is setting up to be a busy week.  DH is off work for a couple of weeks, which ironically coincides with the first two-ish weeks of our term (we began it last Thursday) but Under The Circumstances DH & I agree that the boys and I should still get going with school.  We'll definitely be including more papa time for the boys, though, and ideally a family hike or two. 

Week's goals: keep elder DS eating & exercised; get us to Dungeon Master training & Pokemon (today), Role-Playing Group (tomorrow), elder to Aikido on Wed, elder to acupuncture consult on Friday;  DH & I have a lunch date Wednesday; for school I'd like to keep going in English, math, Latin review, Greek alphabet (work on letter recognition), and literature and add in some science.  Planning is my other priority (still in process!) and keeping house civilized. 

Here's my bullet points, edited from yesterday ...

• sketch science plans
    • younger DS
      • term goals
      • resources available now (body science -- have basic program & human body encyclopedia; Science in History: have text + supply kit; plan to look over BFSU/RSO when finish body science; plan to list/resources for living books to request from library
      • make procedure/lesson plan(s)
      • have reading list, begin to request stuff from library
    • elder DS
      • term goals
      • decide how to balance trialing BFSU book 3 with child's aviation-science program: BFSU this term, follow with aviation next term. 
      • design an aviation course (note: include core resource; Eric Sloan's Weather Book; ...)(done: core resource; read Eric Sloane's Weather book then Murchie's Song of the Sky; parallel those with Around the World and St. Exupery's Flight to Arras (or other flight adventure/fiction, if Arras doesn't go over well)
      • prep for first few lessons of BFSU
        • set up notebook
        • lesson A-19: read Asimov's How We Found Out About Atoms; reserve suggested books at library
        • skim, set up materials list for, and begin reserving books/make book reservation chart for lessons A-20-24; then plan to go to thread B around Term 2
      • make procedure/lesson plans
      • have reading lists, both aviation and general, begin to request stuff
  • get week plans on paper
    • block out times for Dungeon Master "seminar"; younger DS Pokemon; everybody Role Playing Game night; elder DS acupuncture appt Friday; other non-school chunks
    • figure out elder DS meal and snack times
    • schedule school chunks
    • prioritize fitness
    • find time for me to exercise
  • straighten house, make sure to spend time with DH, garden work

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

Hello All,

We don't start DD6 1st grade year till mid September.

We do summer school lite right now. This week she is practicing cursive and doing phonics review, she reads to us and we read to her.

Her new math book comes this week. She won't start this till September unless she asked to do it early.

• Like 2

Morning. One boy has already jumped in to his schedule for the week. The other is still writing this morning. I told him he's welcome to start at 9:30 if he likes, but with the extra subjects today, he may find himself booted when afternoon comes around and he's not done. The first boy has cleaning duty and cooking duty today. 

I'm writing hard--trying to get this book finished so I can go back to revisions on one book, and start character work on two others. Fun times.

• Like 2

I'm having difficulty getting the boys settled into school today. They went out and harvested gourds this morning, and so they are in the middle of weighing everything. My kitchen is overrun with squash and gourds right now. 

I'm settling in to write today, but my head isn't in it as much as preoccupied with later things happening today. But hope to focus soon and get some things done.

• Like 1

WELL!  Dog got into a skunk; DH was doing house maintenance and found rotting gutters; serious character/stress concerns with elder DS; some school got done; house is a mess. 

Triage: we'll spend 15-30" on house.  A round of Essential School (one of 3Rs, art, or science).  See how can help DH.  Lunch.  Work outside 15-30", lather, rinse, repeat. 

• Like 1

Also exceptionally tired today. It was a Monday yesterday. MONDAY. 🤣

It's really not funny. But I'm trying to keep things together. I've got another referral to yet another doctor for my medical issues. Waiting on that call today. Dealing with another matter that is just an absolute mess on top of that. BUT...school is happening, writing is happening, we have had the best pumpkin and squash year ever, kids are happy, everyone has clothes, food, and the dishes are clean. I can live with that for now. Most things have a way of sorting themselves out over time. 

Today's goals: The usual chores, and one boy is taking over the housekeeping today and cooking dinner. The other, flush with his success with dinner on Monday, asked to be taught how to make one of his favorite side-dishes today, so we get to practice using the chef's knife today. Things are going okay. Okay is good enough.

ETA: I know it was Tuesday. But I think Monday just decided to stay around this week.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 1

Yesterday was Daddy/Daughter Day and they went to storytime at the library, Natural History Museum and our local museum about our city. They went to a music store to check on either a small guitar or ukulele for her. They prepared and delivered a meal to a shut-in and she read to them and kept them company while they ate. Then they came home and painted together. It ended with a daddy/daughter devotion. It was a fun day.

Today Bible stories plus devotional, phonics review, she was read to, she read to us, she practiced the states, calendar, reviewed days/months/year and emergency information. 

Tonight is first day back to Bible Club and now she gets to go to a class which is 1st-3rd grade girls. She is excited.

Adult Bible study is also tonight. 

• Like 2

Yesterday's Monday was worse than Tuesday's Monday. All my fingers are blistered from stress, but I've not bitten any heads off, lost my temper, or locked myself in my room yet. Today's Monday has got to be better.

Today's goals: Art, and write. The boys have a limited school schedule with just art and math today, we plan to go to the library after art, and then I want to spend most of the afternoon writing, making pizza and then I'll see if I can make some banana bread. Try to have a normal day as much as I can manage.

• Like 1

Critterfixer, hugs.  Hoping for progress on your medical front. 

Today: elder DS has lost the opportunity to do school today, which is something that happens occasionally at my house.  School with younger; set up plans for older, including some sort of measured approach to our current struggles; house, planning, garden, exercise, pray too. 

Still working on my list from earlier this week.  If all goes well I can add to it later today!   + I got all the much on the ground (well, all the mulch we have) and most of the vinca minor. 

• Like 1

Morning! Afternoon naps for all who need them! (I might)

Had a decent day yesterday--got things done and very few things imploded around me. A welcome respite. Today I'm taking care of some unfinished business that can be concluded now (I hope) and trying to write. It's gray and rainy today, and that makes me feel better about everything. The boys are doing a terrific job with their school and not complaining too much, and the house is slowly getting cleaned after months of basic cleaning only. I'm looking forward to a quiet fall season of revising at a sedate pace, getting some character work done, and gearing up for November's NaNoWriMo.

• Like 1

Morning!  Critterfixer, so glad you're getting a weather break.  Happysmileylady, totally understand not wanting to step foot in a grocery store with the children.  And relate to the need to have food in the house.  !!!

Yesterday, elder DS negotiated for the opportunity to do school, so school got done.  More or less.  Whoo-hoo!  (Opportunities for school are only precious, naturally, because of the Consequences: without doing school the child is stuck in his room for much of the day and gets no screen-time.  When that failed a few years ago I took all toys out of said room.  Then all books too.  Not pretty, but effective.)

Also yesterday went well on the elder DS eating front.  First day in a while that he didn't cry at each meal.  Baby steps. 

Younger DS is getting his head around a more-full school schedule; with elder's health stuff (not happy) and DH home for a couple of weeks (that IS happy) things are slow. 

Today: school.  Keep plants from wilting in heat; keep working in home organization.  For planning: try to get my head around elder DS' science, it is down to BFSU Middle School for the main stream or a good Physical Science book I have on hand (probably).  Consider next week's school and goals, it would be great to bring history online.   Exercise.  Breathe. 

blessings & peace & joy today!

• Like 1

oops -- forgot about an appt. for elder DS this AM.  So that'll knock us to minimal school; here's hoping the appt. is fruitful.

ETA: appt. was fine.  I would like to never ever again have people poke at homeschooling or imply that it is sort of fundamentally unhealthy for teenage boys to be spending their days homeschooled by their mothers.  Or ask my child, "Greek and Latin?  WHY?"  Or look off into the distance and comment clearly, but apparently to no one in particular, that today's high school is really demanding and certainly they could never teach it themselves.  Then glance at me meaningfully. 

Hallelujah it is legal to homeschool, so they can't really mess with us. 

• Like 1

Morning! 

At the end of yesterday, I felt so good about what we are accomplishing -- as in, what we are doing is really paying off.  Now there's just the matter of the stuff we aren't doing ... 😉

Today is cool so far, which is great b/c I need to bake this morning.  So: get some tea going, make muffins that elder DS makes, yoga.   DH is taking the boys & his mother on a hike later this AM;  I need to get some exercise and take advantage of an empty house to either clean like mad or plan like mad. 

Today's list, much of which will migrate forward into next week:

• wrap up what's left on this week's earlier list -- at this point, some specific planning.
  • exercise inside and run or do some step aerobics
  • plan elder DS'  birthday (next Friday)
  • clean: focus on messy bits 🙂 
  • plan: focus is
    • maintain current progress: solidify English, Math, art, piano practice, Anki &c -- add math games for both boys
    • draft both a short-shrift plan to wrap up medieval history AND have at least a week's worth of BFSU planned for elder DS.  I need to be get'er done and not perfectionist about these
  • get us set up for online classes next week
  • Bible reading
  • extra credit: other reading
  • ETA: engage/schedule elder DS volunteer work/plan, which is to spearhead the fire & emergency preparedness community work on our (long, quasi-rural) street.  It'll be interesting; I can't take it on, and an acquaintance asked us to do it, and he thinks it would be a good fit for him given that he'll need to be doing something to contribute to our community: he's interested in that sort of stuff, and finds it valuable. 
  • ETA #2:
    • wash car(s)
    • run errands: pick book up, drop books off at library, get a few more soil-retaining plants and mulch
  • Like 1