Menu

What's with the ads?

Quill

Amazon package in purgatory: UPDATED resolved

So, this is a new one. I tried to order an ipad cover from Amazon in July. They sent a message a few days later saying they needed the “building access code” to deliver the package, which makes no sense, since I am in a SFH and they deliver to my porch or garage all the time. (I even double checked that it wasnt accidently set to ship to one of dc’s colleges, since that would explain building access issues. But it is set to ship to my single home.) There was a link I could follow to give them the “access code”, which I followed. There was a choice of “no access code is needed.” So I picked that. 

A couple days later, they again sent me a message saying they could not gain access and would “try again later.” That was July 30th. Now it is just stuck in package purgatory. On my Amazon page, I can’t cancel the order and I can’t find out anything new from tracking the package. It’s just stuck on “we will try again.” There is a button that says “contact carrier,” but it just gives a long list of possible carriers. I have no idea who the carrier is and do not think it is UPS or a typical one; I think it’s an independant contractor deliverer, like the ones that come in their own vehicle. 

I don’t know what to do. It looks like I have to wait four weeks beyond the failed delivery to call it “undeliverable”. That may be my only option at this point. Has anyone experienced this before? It’s so bizarre! 

UPDATE: I was able to speak to a live human being (presumably in India) and am able to get a refund, though not, for whatever reason, a replacement. So - thanks, Hive! 

Edited by Quill
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Call Amazon and talk to a live person. They will have a solution  for you. 1 (888) 280-4331

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tap said:

Call Amazon and talk to a live person. They will have a solution  for you. 1 (888) 280-4331

Agreed! I once had a package stuck in a different sort of delivery purgatory and the Amazon customer service rep canceled the order and resent it. It's a total PITA to find the customer service number but worth the search in the end. 

ETA: I think there is an option to have them contact you. They pretty much called right away.

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Agreed! I once had a package stuck in a different sort of delivery purgatory and the Amazon customer service rep canceled the order and resent it. It's a total PITA to find the customer service number but worth the search in the end. 

ETA: I think there is an option to have them contact you. They pretty much called right away.

Yes, if you go to the Help section, you can enter your phone number and they call you within two minutes. You can also use instant chat to talk to a customer service rep.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a similar situation last week at work with an Amazon package, where I received an "undeliverable" notice. I contacted Amazon via chat, they did some checking and contacted UPS. UPS contacted me later that afternoon, and the driver came back.

I work in a 4 story local government building with open access to anyone who walks in. There is a simple directory listing departments and floors at the elevators. There is a security guard. There is an additional manned window that is visible from the lobby.

The driver ADMITTED that he marks every package to our building as "undeliverable" if there is not a suite number. He told me that UPS then makes a call to clear it up, and he the delivers the next day. He told me he already KNEW what floor I was on (which has a total of 15 people), but that he will never deliver without a suite number.

All I could think was that a LOT of people would LOVE to work at UPS, that he is lazy, and that he could at least make a SIMPLE EFFORT at his job.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tap said:

What??  They have live people answering phones?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RDid you order it as a prime item?

FWIW, when I have had prime orders that got stuck or had a change of delivery date, I have called amazon customer service and stayed on the line with them until they finally agreed to have a replacement sent out ASAP (sometimes next day delivery). Kinda like the woman in the Bible that the judge ruled in her favor because she wore him out with her constant pleading. 😂

I am really not a contentious person, but I am all about getting what was advertised. If x product was sold to me on y terms, don’t change those terms midstream, kwim?

Edited by Seasider too
  • Like 4

I had that experience last Christmas. I ordered something and forgot about it. It never showed up, and I didn’t follow up with amazon. It was just something small, but still.... I would think of it while driving, but never remember it when I had time at home to take care of it. When I finally remembered to contact them, it had been more than 3 months and they couldn’t (wouldn’t) do anything. No replacement, no refund, no apology. So, lesson learned! Follow up ASAP!!  

• Like 3

This has happened to us.  Our package was routed to the American embassy in Russia because of a misread code.  The embassy got the package to us 6 months later, but in the meantime we got Amazon to send a new one after talking to a live person. (It was the one and only anniversary gift dh has ever bought, so I wasn't giving up without a fight)

My current package of books left the middle of the country and has been stuck on the far coast for a week.  I'm not sure why they're there.  It's the wrong direction.  I can't do a thing to move them along and I'm dreading having to re-order and/or get a refund.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Seasider too said:

RDid you order it as a prime item?

FWIW, when I have had prime orders that got stuck or had a change of delivery date, I have called amazon customer service and stayed on the line with them until they finally agreed to have a replacement sent out ASAP (sometimes next day delivery). Kinda like the woman in the Bible that the judge ruled in her favor because she wore him out with her constant pleading. 😂

I am really not a contentious person, but I am all about getting what was advertised. If x product was sold to me on y terms, don’t change those terms midstream, kwim?

Yes, it was ordered under Prime. 

I did not even know, until this thread, that talking to a live human at Amazon was a possibility. I did not see anywhere for calling. 

• Like 1

This happened to me and I clicked the online chat feature. I barely provided an explanation and they immediately offered to send me a new item. I got it the next day! Then three days later, the initial order apparently found its way out of purgatory and landed on my doorstep. So now I have two of the exact same books, lol.

This must happen frequently enough that Amazon's chat recognizes it and just pushes out another delivery ASAP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, daijobu said:

What??  They have live people answering phones?

It's a call center in India, which is escalated to another supervisor in India. If you escalate many times you eventually get an American.  With simple things India can handle it, with strange things you have to escalate IME.  I've only had to escalate twice.  DH (who does a lot of work with engineers in India) said they were both cultural issues. IE:  Indians apparently accept false advertising more than Americans, and some 3rd party sellers have their accounts set to not accept returns (even when committing fraud). Anyway my point is that if you don't get things resolved to your satisfaction it's worth it to keep escalating.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Katy said:

It's a call center in India, which is escalated to another supervisor in India. If you escalate many times you eventually get an American.  With simple things India can handle it, with strange things you have to escalate IME.  I've only had to escalate twice.  DH (who does a lot of work with engineers in India) said they were both cultural issues. IE:  Indians apparently accept false advertising more than Americans, and some 3rd party sellers have their accounts set to not accept returns (even when committing fraud). Anyway my point is that if you don't get things resolved to your satisfaction it's worth it to keep escalating.

Thank you for the tip!  I'm deciding recently that if it's important have a particular brand and avoid counterfeit products, I'm ordering from stores that don't use 3rd parties to fulfill.  

When you say "escalate" is that simply a matter of saying, "Can I speak to a manager?"  Or is there something else that translates into escalation?  

To the OP does this mean you can't get stuff from Amazon ever again?

22 minutes ago, kiwik said:

To the OP does this mean you can't get stuff from Amazon ever again?

No, it’s just that particular order. Both of my big kids have ordered successfully from Amazon since my package abduction. 

For all of Amazon's (massive, horrible) failings in terms of how they treat employees in their warehouses... over the years, I have always been able to get a live person at Amazon who has been able to resolve my issue. I've had to escalate it up a couple of times, but it's always gotten fixed in the end. Their customer service is one of the things in their favor for me at this point.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, daijobu said:

Thank you for the tip!  I'm deciding recently that if it's important have a particular brand and avoid counterfeit products, I'm ordering from stores that don't use 3rd parties to fulfill.  

When you say "escalate" is that simply a matter of saying, "Can I speak to a manager?"  Or is there something else that translates into escalation?  

Yes, just ask for their supervisor repeatedly.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Quill said:

Yes, it was ordered under Prime. 

I did not even know, until this thread, that talking to a live human at Amazon was a possibility. I did not see anywhere for calling. 

I just google "customer service phone number Amazon". I don't look on thier site. LOL

6 hours ago, Tap said:

I just google "customer service phone number Amazon". I don't look on thier site. LOL

Brilliance in simplicity, lol! 

I've very rarely had problems with Amazon deliveries in the past, but I'm currently in the process of getting DS settled in his off-campus apartment, and FOUR of the last six Amazon deliveries have gone missing! There is a locked package room in his building that delivery people need to scan the package to get access to. The system scans the package and sends an automatic message to the recipient with a snapshot of the package and an access code to enter the room. Two of the packages were scanned in, I received the access code, and they were in the package room. Three of the missing packages were listed on Amazon as "left in mail room," but they were never scanned in, there is no record of delivery, I never got a notice, and they were not in the room. The fourth was listed as having been "handed to a resident" at 6:00 PM. The front office was locked up by then, so I know it wasn't left with the manager, and it's not in the package room. So either the guy lied about delivering it, delivered to the wrong address, or literally just handed my package to some random person who happened to be standing in the lobby. 🤬

I'm thankful they were willing to refund me for all the missing orders, but it's huge hassle to have to reorder everything, and I'm really pissed that it doesn't seem like I'll be able to send things to DS via Amazon, since their contract drivers here are either total idiots or dishonest (or both). I never had problems like this when they used UPS. ☹️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

I've very rarely had problems with Amazon deliveries in the past, but I'm currently in the process of getting DS settled in his off-campus apartment, and FOUR of the last six Amazon deliveries have gone missing! There is a locked package room in his building that delivery people need to scan the package to get access to. The system scans the package and sends an automatic message to the recipient with a snapshot of the package and an access code to enter the room. Two of the packages were scanned in, I received the access code, and they were in the package room. Three of the missing packages were listed on Amazon as "left in mail room," but they were never scanned in, there is no record of delivery, I never got a notice, and they were not in the room. The fourth was listed as having been "handed to a resident" at 6:00 PM. The front office was locked up by then, so I know it wasn't left with the manager, and it's not in the package room. So either the guy lied about delivering it, delivered to the wrong address, or literally just handed my package to some random person who happened to be standing in the lobby. 🤬

I'm thankful they were willing to refund me for all the missing orders, but it's huge hassle to have to reorder everything, and I'm really pissed that it doesn't seem like I'll be able to send things to DS via Amazon, since their contract drivers here are either total idiots or dishonest (or both). I never had problems like this when they used UPS. ☹️

If it's being delivered by Amazon Logistics or whatever their contract service is, you can call and ask them to put a note on your account that you only want USPS or UPS because the other service isn't working (repeatedly). Also, we discovered that they were only using contract drivers for the free one-day shipping so if we opted for two-day or another option our packages would get put with UPS or USPS by default.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, EmseB said:

If it's being delivered by Amazon Logistics or whatever their contract service is, you can call and ask them to put a note on your account that you only want USPS or UPS because the other service isn't working (repeatedly). Also, we discovered that they were only using contract drivers for the free one-day shipping so if we opted for two-day or another option our packages would get put with UPS or USPS by default.

That's a really good tip, thank you! The two packages that were delivered correctly were 2-day Prime, and the four that went missing were all 1-day shipping, so I bet that was the difference.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EmseB said:

That IS a good tip. 

I think Amazon is having these issues as they try new ways of delivering. That is the big piece of the puzzle they have been working on for several years. I agree that I never have delivery issues when they use UPS or USPS. 

5 hours ago, Quill said:

That IS a good tip. 

I think Amazon is having these issues as they try new ways of delivering. That is the big piece of the puzzle they have been working on for several years. I agree that I never have delivery issues when they use UPS or USPS. 

It is tricky for them because people want their stuff fast. However, I think there's a big problem with just having random drivers contracted out to do the work to deliver their packages. They need to pass some kind of background check or be vetted in some way that Amazon isn't doing, I don't think. I only discovered this tip because we live in an area where access *is* restricted and USPS and UPS can get in (because they've been vetted) but random Joe-Schmoe in his Corolla cannot, but he still has to make the delivery somehow or say that it wasn't deliverable.

• Like 1