Menu

Battlestar Galactica....

Terabith

Love Firefly, Psych, Monk.  Just finished binging Psych, actually.  Did you know there's another movie coming out this Christmas? 

I watched the first season of Stranger Things, but it brought back intense memories of the 1980's.  The 80's were not a great time. 

Will have to try the others.  

• Like 2

I enjoyed The Expanse. So well done.  I'm worried it will not be picked up after season 4.    I was fondly thinking of it as we were watching the newest Katee Sackeoff  sci-fi show on Netflix (which we didn't like) and I  was thinking of giving BG another try as well.  🙂 

We also like Firefly.  The Travelers,  Get Shorty,  Jack Irish, Rake.

• Like 3

You mean the new BSG? Yeah, but it's too bad they couldn't stick the landing.

I'm actually up for a rewatch of Babylon 5 soon, but I want to wait until after the election. The first time I watched it was during Dubya's administration and that was a bad, bad combination. I don't think watching it during Trump would be a good idea.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

You mean the new BSG? Yeah, but it's too bad they couldn't stick the landing.

I'm actually up for a rewatch of Babylon 5 soon, but I want to wait until after the election. The first time I watched it was during Dubya's administration and that was a bad, bad combination. I don't think watching it during Trump would be a good idea.

I agree with you about Babylon 5.  Love it, but hard.  

11 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I enjoyed The Expanse. So well done.  I'm worried it will not be picked up after season 4.    I was fondly thinking of it as we were watching the newest Katee Sackeoff  sci-fi show on Netflix (which we didn't like) and I  was thinking of giving BG another try as well.  🙂 

We also like Firefly.  The Travelers,  Get Shorty,  Jack Irish, Rake.

Oh I agree about The Expanse, that was excellent! They've only released the first 2 seasons here (that I can find) and dh and I are hanging out for more!

Fringe and The Orville are pretty good. I love BBC productions, Misfits and Utopia were both great.

• Like 2

I watched the original when I was a teenager.  my son liked the reboot.  (I never watched it - no interest)

I liked stargate, and burn notice.  nothing currently.   I'm waiting for the next season of the crown.  

star trek - mostly the original series I will rewatch.

I did really like great british castles, (two seasons), and irish castles.

Edited by gardenmom5

Another big Firefly fan here! If you don't mind subtitles and animation, you might check out Cowboy Bebop (2001 anime series), which I've heard was an influence on Joss Whedon in creating Firefly.

Also a fan of some of the Star Trek world: Original/Next Gen/DS5.  And the Aussie sci-fi series Farscape -- persevere through the first 1.5 seasons -- by season 3 it really gets interesting. And of course, Doctor Who, both original and reboot seasons -- although, I confess we fell away from the reboot in Matt Smith's last season -- loved Matt Smith (and David Tennant of course!) -- just did not enjoy the increasingly scattered and unbelievable storylines and the general direction.

We saw the first few episodes of Counterpart with JK Simmons, and would like to continue it through, but just did not have time or the energy to figure out how to get access to it.

BTW: NO personal experience with it, but I just saw that Caprica was a prequel to Battlestar Galactica.

Not sci-fi, but our most recent favor has been the wonderfully quiet and utterly charming 3 seasons of The Detectorists.

• Like 2

I don't watch TV (or TV online, etc.); the last TV I ever watched seriously was BSG.  Magnificent show.  That opening sequence, and the main title!  

I liked the ending, Tanaqui, or at least I was willing to tolerate it.  I don't mind some mysticism and I liked Baltar's more-or-less redemption and I was even okay with Kara's disappearance into the ether.  It did go a bit wonky in the last 2 seasons, but on the whole it worked out okay imo.

My husband and I both liked Battlestar Galactica.  

Recent shows we have both liked:  The Boys (on Amazon Prime), Barry (HBO), Better Call Saul (we watched on Netflix).  

I think those are the last 3 shows we have both liked equally.  

We do both like Portlandia and *there is a Battlestar Galactica episode.*

We watch a lot of documentaries in order to find something we can agree on.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I get what you’re saying, but it’s kind of eerie/funny for me that this thread came up. Day before yesterday I actually thought it might be nice for our culture to get a clean reboot, sorta like the end of BSG. 

That thought is exactly why I started rewatching it.  

When a show, to use Tanaqui's term, sticks the landing as poorly as BSG did, it ruins the whole thing for me. So while it was airing, I thought it was mostly really great... but now, I'm like, yeah, that was nonsense.

I feel the same about Lost. Well, Lost is way worse, but same concept. Pointless ending ruined everything about it that was good.

I'm okay with a show with a weak but sensical ending though. Or a show that drifts off from the greatness of its early days.

But shows building heavy mythology from moment one is actually sort of a turnoff for me now as a result of shows like BSG and Lost. I don't trust it. I'm like, do you have something to say with this or are you just being mysterious for the sake of being mysterious? Case in point... the OA. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Farrar said:

When a show, to use Tanaqui's term, sticks the landing as poorly as BSG did, it ruins the whole thing for me. So while it was airing, I thought it was mostly really great... but now, I'm like, yeah, that was nonsense.

I feel the same about Lost. Well, Lost is way worse, but same concept. Pointless ending ruined everything about it that was good.

I'm okay with a show with a weak but sensical ending though. Or a show that drifts off from the greatness of its early days.

But shows building heavy mythology from moment one is actually sort of a turnoff for me now as a result of shows like BSG and Lost. I don't trust it. I'm like, do you have something to say with this or are you just being mysterious for the sake of being mysterious? Case in point... the OA. 

I've been disappointed with The OA.  Started off so great.. but yeah.  I'm not surprised they didn't pick it up for a 3rd season. 

• Like 1

Lost *sigh*. I have never been able to watch again because I hated the ending so badly. 

Shows I do like: Supernatural, Firefly, Hell on Wheels, and Doctor Who (although I am seasons behind). 

New shows I've watched recently: Kingdom (Korean zombie series) - done very well, The Boys - dark & gritty, not for everyone, but I do love Karl Urban.