Menu

Getting limescale and gunk off a glass shower door?

Laura Corin

Superfine #0000 steel wool works wonders. Moisten and rub. Rinse steel wool off frequently. Do a small spot first to be sure it doesn’t etch your door. I tried this as a last resort when getting my house ready to sell. It worked great and I now use this in my new home. It will also remove soap scum and hard water spots off tiles and fixtures.

Edited by bibliophile
  • Like 1

I’ve used a dryer sheets to remove hard water/ soap scum spots from glass shower doors. It probably won’t be able to handle the tough scaling around the fittings, but I found them to be really effective - cleaning off what tilex (my usual heavy duty bathroom cleaner) and magic eraser wouldn’t get. 

https://housekeeping.wonderhowto.com/how-to/use-dryer-sheets-clean-soap-scum-off-shower-doors-0161236/

• Like 1

We used a CLR type of cleaner--I think they have a product that doesn't have a lot of fumes, but I am not positive. They definitely have more than one product. Our doors have brushed stainless metal, but I would guess that the CLR bottle will say to spot test or say whether it's safe for chrome or not.

Otherwise, dish soap with lots of scrubbing has been my second best bet. I use that, along with some baking soda on a microfiber cloth, when I need to give some trouble spots a scrub, but it's not terrible.

Someone on here recommended putting RainX on the doors after they are cleaned to help maintain, and it's amazing. We have to reapply when we need to give the doors a good scrub, but my DH never complains about doing it for me--I think it is quick. 

• Like 1

Thanks. It's just fibreglass or plastic or something. I ended up just using a basic cleaner and some muscle power. 

We have cleaners that come in weekly but they don't deep clean, whatever we ask and however much time is alotted. We've gone through a few firms and these are the first to turn up reliably. So we are sticking with them, and I'm learning that I need to deep clean periodically.