Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Æthelthryth the Texan

Music and storybooks- is Maestro Classics what I'm looking for ?

Dd7 and Ds8 love reading Peter and the Wolf picture books along to the Leonard Bernstein version of the music with the narration. 

Are there others I can get in a similar format? I've heard of Maestro Classics, and poked around a bit on the website, but I think that's an activity book to go with the music more than a storybook, and I am not interested in a workbook of any type. Or coloring etc.  Or are the samples misleading? I basically want shortish pieces (15-30 minutes-ish) that have some sort of illustrated story/picture book with them. 

Has anyone used/know of something like this? 

IDK about actual books/music matchups, no info on Maestro Classics, sorry. But, on the apple TV there are some apps that kind of fit this. it's been a while since I looked at it but it may fit. TV is in use right now, I'm more writing this as a reminder to myself to look it up for you when I can 🙂 I'll get the rest of the info and update this comment.

As a composer's wife, I can say that there are a lot of CDs out there that are based off of either poetry or books. Quality both in the music and the production may vary greatly, but it's another avenue to go down if you are interested. 

Update: "Classical Music" which is pretty nonspecific, so I took a picture to help find the right one. IMG_0875.thumb.jpeg.6e7484c96618fc34e689e6e2f0de93b9.jpeg

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Thanks 1

No, Maestro Classics is not what you want, I don't think.  We have the whole set here and I think they're fabulous.  Each cd does have a small booklet inside the cd case with activities, but we don't use them.  The format of the audio is usually:
-full piece with spoken text
-biography of the composer (also written in the booklet)
-breakdown of the piece, or a small portion (like Carnival Of Animals focuses on listening for the specific animals)
-continued breakdown or small portion (CoA will focus on Clair De Lune, along with a history of the piece)
-full piece without spoken text

They're lovely and great, but there is no illustrated storybook.  DS's teacher found illustrated books at the library to go with.  Maestro Classics does about half that are music set to popular children's books like Mike Mulligan And His Steam Shovel so it's easy to go back and forth.

You may like the Can You Hear It books.  I think there are two, and they are art books with a cd that has a snippet that goes with each page.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

IDK about actual books/music matchups, no info on Maestro Classics, sorry. But, on the apple TV there are some apps that kind of fit this. it's been a while since I looked at it but it may fit. TV is in use right now, I'm more writing this as a reminder to myself to look it up for you when I can 🙂 I'll get the rest of the info and update this comment.

As a composer's wife, I can say that there are a lot of CDs out there that are based off of either poetry or books. Quality both in the music and the production may vary greatly, but it's another avenue to go down if you are interested. 

Thank you! That would be great if you could update that when you have the time! 

31 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

No, Maestro Classics is not what you want, I don't think.  We have the whole set here and I think they're fabulous.  Each cd does have a small booklet inside the cd case with activities, but we don't use them.  The format of the audio is usually:
-full piece with spoken text
-biography of the composer (also written in the booklet)
-breakdown of the piece, or a small portion (like Carnival Of Animals focuses on listening for the specific animals)
-continued breakdown or small portion (CoA will focus on Clair De Lune, along with a history of the piece)
-full piece without spoken text

They're lovely and great, but there is no illustrated storybook.  DS's teacher found illustrated books at the library to go with.  Maestro Classics does about half that are music set to popular children's books like Mike Mulligan And His Steam Shovel so it's easy to go back and forth.

You may like the Can You Hear It books.  I think there are two, and they are art books with a cd that has a snippet that goes with each page.

I found one of the Can You Hear It books on Amazon- that's looks great! Thank you! 

• Like 1

My kids really enjoy this book/CD combination of Saint-Saens' Carnival of the Animals:

https://www.amazon.com/Carnival-Animals-Classical-Music-Kids/dp/0805061800/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3R5GEEXK10GEB&keywords=carnival+of+the+animals+book+and+cd&qid=1566233682&s=gateway&sprefix=Carnival+of+the+animals%2Caps%2C254&sr=8-3

I will second @HomeAgain 's idea of using the Maestro Classic's CD of Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel with your own storybook.  As HomeAgain said, all of the Maestro Classics CDs are excellent.  We have most of them and my kids (10 and 😎 ask for them all the time.  

• Like 1