Menu

I have found a new obsession!

Home'scool

Cool!  Thanks for posting.

I don't find coloring relaxing because picking colors is stressful.  Paint (or color) by number might work for me.

This is my issue too. I am not creative on my own. I need to have directions. But the paint by number is perfect. There are some that require you to mix two colors to get a third but I made sure the first paint by number I am doing doesn't require that. I have to ease into these things!

• Like 2

Homescool, I'm so happy to see someone else who likes paint-by-numbers! I started doing them earlier this year and have completed four so far. 🙂 There really are some lovely ones out there nowadays, too. I love the one you are doing - so colorful! 

These are a few of the ones I've done: Van Gogh Irises , Romantic Love Autumn ,  Monet Tree and Flowers , and  Blue Poppies. I've been happy with the quality overall. I only buy the ones that are already stretched on a canvas - I read that the ones that are just a canvas are often folded up and it's almost impossible to get the creases out. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, happi duck said:

Cool!  Thanks for posting.

I don't find coloring relaxing because picking colors is stressful.  Paint (or color) by number might work for me.

I have a similar problem with weaving.  picking colors is the hardest part.

@Home'scool that is BEAUTIFUL.  I had no idea that paint-by-numbers could be so pretty.  

• Like 3

Homescool, I'm so happy to see someone else who likes paint-by-numbers! I started doing them earlier this year and have completed four so far. 🙂 There really are some lovely ones out there nowadays, too. I love the one you are doing - so colorful! 

These are a few of the ones I've done: Van Gogh Irises , Romantic Love Autumn ,  Monet Tree and Flowers , and  Blue Poppies. I've been happy with the quality overall. I only buy the ones that are already stretched on a canvas - I read that the ones that are just a canvas are often folded up and it's almost impossible to get the creases out. 

I was amazed at how many options are out there! I did get a canvas that was not stretched on a frame and so far its been fine. Because it is my first one I didn't stress too much!

• Like 1

Are you learning anything about painting techniques or is it just fun?

They advise to fill in one color first, then move on to the next color, either going from light to dark or dark to light in order to see how colors work together. I started out that way but now have just been filling in colors depending on the area I am working on. All you really need for this is a steady hand 🙂

On 8/16/2019 at 6:22 PM, Mothersweets said:

Homescool, I'm so happy to see someone else who likes paint-by-numbers! I started doing them earlier this year and have completed four so far. 🙂 There really are some lovely ones out there nowadays, too. I love the one you are doing - so colorful! 

I bought one about a year ago and still haven’t started it. 

The pictures look great online, but I was wondering if they really turned out like in the pictures or not.  Do yours seem to look like the pictures online?  Or do you need to know any techniques at all to make them look good?  Or do you honestly just put the paint in the spot it tells you to put it?  

8 hours ago, Garga said:

The pictures look great online, but I was wondering if they really turned out like in the pictures or not.  Do yours seem to look like the pictures online?  Or do you need to know any techniques at all to make them look good?  Or do you honestly just put the paint in the spot it tells you to put it?  

The most important thing is probably using the right amount of paint. If you do one that calls for a lot of blending, then it will certainly look better if you have decent blending technique. Both can be practiced, preferably with a similar type of paint. I don't mean endless practice, but a few minutes might spare you the disappointment of having excess paint drip over the lines the moment you get started. 

My mom used to do these and has actually moved on to not-by-the-numbers painting! She's retired, though, so she has an advantage. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Garga said:

The ones I linked to actually look like pictures when I've finished them, although the Iris one is the second one I've painted. The first Iris paint-by-number that I tried did not come out AT ALL. It was a big disappointment - like the painting looked almost nothing like what was advertised on amazon. I tried to link it here to warn y'all off of that one but it appears that it isn't available any longer. The one I DID link to is so much better - I could easily see the numbers and it really does look like the picture!

The one technique that I use is to use a good amount of the paint. It's probably just personal preference, but I really like it when the paint gives texture to the canvas. I think it makes it look more like a 'real' painting. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, katilac said:

The most important thing is probably using the right amount of paint. If you do one that calls for a lot of blending, then it will certainly look better if you have decent blending technique. Both can be practiced, preferably with a similar type of paint. I don't mean endless practice, but a few minutes might spare you the disappointment of having excess paint drip over the lines the moment you get started. 

My mom used to do these and has actually moved on to not-by-the-numbers painting! She's retired, though, so she has an advantage. 

I was thinking of going in the opposite direction, lol! I am a “real” artist, but I have not created a painting in a long, long time. It’s hard for me to stop and start when it comes to painting and drawing. I love being in the flow state, but I’m not in a position to remain in flow for several hours at a time. Hence, most of my art of the past decade or two has been confined to things I can complete in one sitting, such as scrapbook pages, zentangle and photography. But I am intrigued by this paint-by-numbers because I think it would let me go back to painting by eliminating all the designing that takes a long time. 

• Like 1

Do you have to have an easel?  Where do you place your canvas?  Do you need a lot of space?

I decided to buy a small table easel (I got it at Michael's on sale for $30) and set it up at one end of my kitchen table. I just put an old cloth down underneath it so no paint will get on the table. I took the paint by number canvas and stretched it over a blank canvas that was mounted on a frame and thumb-tacked it down. All the youtube videos I watched did not show to do this but I feel like it gives me more stability. Same with the easel -- I tend to have a bad back and I think the easel makes it so I do not have to lean over so far. You can also just spin the picture to have the portion you are working on closest to you. 

I just keep it set up on my kitchen table but I think it would be easy to move if needed. It's just the canvas, some small pots of paint, and some paintbrushes.

On a side note, I find the "time lapse" videos on youtube of people painting by numbers very relaxing! Sometimes I watch those right before I go to bed. 🙂

• Like 3

I bought two kits. 🤩

I also watched a YouTube in which Dimensions was recommended as a superior product. This YouTuber also said she uses Gesso as a primer for her painting kit, so I ordered Gesso as well. 

I’m excited to try this, y’all! I AM GOING TO GET TO PAINT AGAIN, woohoo! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1