Menu

Who's going to tackle Friday with me?

Jean in Newcastle

How did it get to be Friday already!?  And the last weekend before school!  Yikes!

I need to get organized for school, both mentally and physically.  Part of this is accepting which things aren't happening, and cleaning up the messes from what was started but not completed.  I don't know why I always overestimate what I can accomplish.

Done:

• Worked until 2:30am.

To do:

• Sleep.
  • Kid 2 up at 7:30 for horse riding.
  • Lots more work.
  • Conference call, ugh.
  • Yoga, walking, reading.
  • Scout registrations, filing, planning.
  • Make dentist appointment for Kid 1.
  • Kid 1 needs to complete a project outdoors.
  • Fold and put away laundry.
  • Order skirts for Kid 2.
  • Try to do some work with the kids.
  • Both kids to TKD, then dinner out, then a movie.  Also need to go to Wal-Mart.
  • Finish our read-aloud at long last.  Also our audiobook.
  • Whatever else gets done.
  • Like 9

Good morning!

• Get kids up and going. 
  • Write a check
  • Confirm Saturday plans and send the address. 
  • Ds to tutorial.  
  • Babysit neighbor kids for a bit.  
  • Figure out dinner. Probably burgers. Yes, burgers, and sweet corn. Need green veggies. Got salad and okra!
  • Clean ds' room?!  
  • Buy shoes for Dd! 
  • Pack lunch for Ds, pick him up and head to piano lessons.  
  • Home
Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 8

Good morning!

• office work - a few important things that need to get done and sent out today
  • menu plan for the next week
  • general tidying up
  • vacuum main floor
  • deep clean another litterbox
  • post office
  • research a horse health issue
  • farrier appointment at 1:00
  • OCD webinar at 2:30
  • dinner: veg burgers
  • watch a movie tonight
  • Like 6

Morning!  It's the weekend here, at least as far as trying to get things done around traffic.
-yard work
-dump run
-pay the mortgage
-grocery shop
-try to figure out why the books I ordered from Ohio are hanging out in California.  Not only is that the wrong direction, it's a lot farther trip.
-wash a cot
-laundry
-air out the school room

• Like 8

Good morning!  I have to accomplish more today than yesterday.  First I'm not sure it's possible to accomplish less, and second I need to get out of this sluggish do nothing mode I seem to be stuck in.

-coffee
-school with DS14
-workout (cardio)
-laundry DONE: 0
-declutter 5 hotspots DONE:  0
-clean 5 things  DONE:  0
-organize last year's homeschool stuff into notebooks (all syllabi, sample work, grade reports, etc)
-make sure DS18 turns in his parking form at school between 2 and 3
-some yardwork (no shortage of things to do here but it is soooo hot)
-dinner (no idea)
-I really want to do something fun tonight - I need to make some friends here in SC because I'm tired of hanging out with only DH 🤣

• Like 7

Morning all!

Sadly, I'm still working on the school stuff.  I've been trying to figure out what to cut from Conceptual Physics, because there is no way we are doing 40 chapters in one school year.  But here is today's list:

• start laundry
  • finish boxing up last year's school papers to be saved
  • switch laundry
  • finish making third grader's schedule for history/science/few other subjects and type it into his planner pages
  • dr appointment for me
  • laundry
  • finish schedule for first few weeks of Physics and Algebra 2
  • laundry
  • supper-- maybe some kind of soup; it's raining, and seems like a nice soup day
Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 7

Good morning! I slept in a little, as dd2 left before dawn for the "senior sunrise." The whole class gathers in the football stands to watch the sun rise. It's a pretty nice tradition. So the house is quiet for now.

We are having on-going problems with our problem car, so we are down to one. Hopefully, we can pick up a rental today or tomorrow.

dd2 also has her outside shoot for senior pictures today.

• coffee/paper
  • weed ( done a little already)
  • sew (for a temporary hold) patches on dd2's letter jacket for pics- this was an errand that didn't get done this summer
  • get boys moving on their chores, etc this morning
  • more chores
  • more laundry
  • ds3 to hs tennis
  • dd2 and I drive to foothills
  • watch/help with clothing changes
  • drive home
  • not sure what else

Have a great day!

• Like 7

Good morning!

Well, yesterday we got DS18's *stuff* moved in, and then turned out his roommate was also a local kid (not one we know, but local/in the area) and not planning to actually sleep on campus until Sunday night (class starts Monday). DS had only planned to stay in order to get to know his roommate, so he came back home with us. Yay! 

His mini-fridge & microwave, both bought brand new and moved in still in their original boxes, were badly dent -- the fridge wouldn't even stay closed b/c of the dent. So, we got to pack those back up, take them back (so thankful DH did those at Best Buy vs. Amazon!) and exchange. The microwave they had in stock, (and this one is dent-free), the fridge they had to order and will be in Weds. We'll send DS18 with DS21's fridge and then send DS21 with the new one, if he ends up going back to school. 

DS21 really does want to try to go back to school, after all. I have reservations about that still, but DH thinks, and I do also somehwat agree, we need to support him. This is one of those things where you're "d--ed if you do, d--ed if you don't" and we've landed at the fact/realization we need to err on the side of "make DS feel supported" as preserving that relationship is more important than any amount of money, and with the right supports in place, he really probably can be successful. (EX: we already have suggested, and he agrees, that he go only 3/4 time or even 1/2 time if needed and take longer, but be able to manage the work....). 

So.....on my list for the weekend, b/c it just all has to get done between now and Sunday: 
....finishing touches on DS18's quilt -- got the 1st half of the quilt fused on and started the quilting on it; need to finish quilting that and then fuse on the 2nd half of the quote. 
....also make & attach the label, wash, dry and then done (the quilt).
....research/help DS21 research potential off campus housing if the one maybe on-campus opportunity doesn't pan out, since he had us cancel what he had set up
....have DS21 apply for a few jobs here in case the housing doesn't work out
....figure out what activities I need to print/prep for our 1st day of school Monday (my K & 1st classes)
....print/prep that stuff so my 1st day is ready to go
....help DS14 with his "due on day 1" homework, get all his school stuff ready (waiting on some books we ordered....oops)
....remind DS18 to do his "due on day 1" homework one of the profs emailed out
....create the weekly checklist thing I'm going to send home with parents each week, and figure out how exactly to do it.....
....take DS18 back to school, finish setting up his room, get him situated (may do a Sat and a Sun trip, so we can get the fridge/etc moved in w/o the roommate there)
...maybe take DS14 to fencing on Sat since he missed Tues and Thurs
....find out if DS18 talked any of his gaming friends into coming over for one last Smash tourney before school Saturday
....grocery run
...dinner????? 
....sit down with each boy, in turn, and help them make schedules of when they are in class, when they should block off to study, etc. Show the college boys where to find office hours, schedule in "go talk to my prof" times, etc.....

I *think* that's everything......this is the list I'll work on all weekend, so.....not quite as busy as it looks once you split it over 3 days, right?? (oof). 

• Like 7

Forgot to add, dd1 arrived at the new apartment yesterday and starts her "optional" orientation today. She texted dh her schedule for next year- and I remembered why I decided not to go to law school (shudder).

Reader- sounds like a good plan. Preserving the relationship is the goal and we have been in a similar circumstance and while it was hard and worrying, it did work out. 

Off to sew on some patches.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

We're back from the dentist office. I let ds drive there, and he needs to work with dh on turning into streets and parking lots when other cars are near. I thought he was going to hit someone, but thankfully, he didn't. I could tell the other driver thought so, too. Needless, to say, I was a bit nervous after that. I drove the rest of the time out! LOL!

On to school work...

• Like 5

My Fitbit says that I only got 4 hours and 28 minutes of sleep last night.  My body says that the Fitbit was probably right. 

I am going to have lunch with my friend from grad school.  (Actually she didn't go to grad school with me but I was in grad school when we shared a house with an elderly woman.)  I've only known this friend for 28 years.  She's a newbie among friends.  😉

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Looks like the college boys definitely have an apartment.  We're just figuring out a couple of details and will then sign everything.   Ds has to leave the air bnb today but has been offered a place to stay with a friend until he can move into the apartment on Sunday.  Helping to support a young adult from afar is stressful! 

• Like 7

Have finished preliminary research on off-campus housing for DS; DH & I narrowed it down based on budget & nearness to campus (well, to the part of campus where he'll spend most of his time). Next I need to call the top 3 or 4 and ask all the little detail questions they don't answer on their websites, and then we'll have DS choose. We have fingers crossed, but not holding our breaths, that an on-campus thing he inquired about will work out; it would be ideal for him (although, honestly, far from where he needs.....campus is enormous). We won't sign a lease until we've heard yay or nay on that, but we need to know which one to do an application with. 

Also need to be 100% sure that since he gave up his dorm, it won't affect his parking assignment. They prioritize dorm residents for some of the garages.....but surely they can't/won't revoke his permit at this point?? No idea. I need to check. 

Eating lunch, then calling apartments, then moving on to quilt stuff and school stuff. School stuff first, per DH's suggestion/request. He is right, it has a hard deadline and the quilt does not, so.....I will do that. 

• Like 7

Trying not to be too stressed.  I am in a good place for camp prep (pretty much everything is done except for packing clothes and sleeping bags.)  But there is stuff I need to get done at home and there always seems to be "one more thing".

human care is done

pet care is done

medical care is done

talked to ds about some last minute apartment lease things.

morning exercises done.  I was tempted to let them slide but I probably won't get to them next week so I'd better get to them all of this week.

called and talked to my behind-the-scenes-right-hand-woman who is so good to bounce things off of.  She agrees that I have to have what could be a difficult conversation with a difficult mom about a difficult camper.  Please pray that she receives my behavior conditions (for both mom and daughter) well.  I guess this is why I get the big bucks as camp director.  (This is a joke - I actually do all of this for free.) 

• Like 6

15 yo boys and the consequences of their past decisions. Racing to finish geometry by Monday is not fun for anyone.

Unlike his brothers, ds3 usually only has to learn a lesson once. But we will see...

If you can't learn by example, you have to learn by doing. Seems to be the motto for my boys.

• Like 6

Done with yard work and dump run.  Have no idea what's going on with my books, but I'm glad I had the foresight to pick up copies at the library just in case they didn't come in on time.

The rest of the list will wait.  We got side tracked by ds's hockey schedule dropping, which means rearranging other things. Then we tried on his gear from spring when the last season stopped.  Skates? Too small. Chest pad? Too tight. Stick? Too short.  Socks? Shredded. Thankfully I had an extra pair of skates stashed, but we ended up going to get them sharpened and bought a new stick and chest pad so he's ready to go for first practice.  Dh got called in to work overnight, and our day is now on quiet mode so he can get some rest before his shift.

• Like 7

@Margaret in CO, I'm sorry things aren't appreciated there at home. That must be terribly difficult. 😞 I hope you are able to stay with the friend and get into the pool later.

@Pink and Green Mom, I feel your pain. Mine was always with writing anything, period. Oh, boy, the pain of a writing assignment.....mind-numbing hours spent sitting in the computer room just nudging him to stay on track. Ouch. 

I called the top 4 contenders for apartments for DS; waiting on callbacks. According to the online info, the top choice is affordable, near his classes, has availability, and seems more studious-leaning than party-leaning (based on which amenities they talk most about); waiting to find out about parking at that spot. Although he does have campus parking, so could park on campus, walk to the apartment, if they don't have available parking. (who knew there exist apartments where one must pay extra to park??).  All 4 of these say online that they have spots available, so DS should, unless some unforeseen thing happens, be able to return. 

Ate lunch. 
DS is checking to see if anyone emailed yet about his on-campus maybe possibly an option. 
Starting a load of laundry, then doing my school stuff for me. Since I, 1, have to have that done, and 2, am waiting on phone calls back, better to work on that vs the quilt even though I'd like to do the quilt instead. 

The school list is:
...print what's needed for the K class
....decided what to print, and print it, for the 1st class
....make the check-list/homework sheet, print it
...pack my bag for Monday, with everything ready to go
....pack the cool organized supply boxes for crayons, markers, etc.

Wish me luck. 

• Like 7

@MysteryJen Grad school is mostly suffering, but UVA is fun! I bet your Dd does great! It is a good thing to be a Wahoo! 

@Pink and Green Mom I got the same reaction ftom Ds about math! Sigh. 

@Margaret in CO Sorry things are so frustrating! I hope you can get some rest. Scout stuff is great, but can wait if you're sick. 

@Jean in Newcastle Praying for a fabulous week of camp for y'all. Glad your boy will have housing settled. 

@TheReader Sounds to me as though you're being a wonderful mom to your boys! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Had a nice lunch with my friend. 

While I was there, the difficult mom called (so I had to excuse myself for five minutes to take the call).  I was gentle but tried to reinforce behavior expectations.  I just hope that I was "heard".  And from experience dealing with this family for ten years now, agreeing to something now doesn't necessarily mean anything down the road. . .    Sigh.  But we are there to extend grace and teaching so that is what we are trying to do. 

Things are slowly moving on the rental application front.  Just a lot of moving parts to modern life! 

My neighbor came over and got the run down on pet care while we're gone.  The puppy will go to her place to romp with her bff.  The bunny will be gone elsewhere to bunny camp.  It will just be the cat here to feed. 

• Like 6

Burgers are on the grill, corn is done, about to cook the okra. Dinner will be on the table in 7 minutes. 

Dh has decided to mow now, immediately. Apparently the grass will grow wildly during dinner and cannot be ignored for 40 minutes for us to eat together. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Burgers are on the grill, corn is done, about to cook the okra. Dinner will be on the table in 7 minutes. 

Dh has decided to mow now, immediately. Apparently the grass will grow wildly during dinner and cannot be ignored for 40 minutes for us to eat together. 

Yum on the dinner; boo on the urgent mowing. Mine has done stuff like that before, usually to do with getting dark, won't have time the next day(s), rain is forecast, etc; reasons that make sense to him, but always leave me saying/thinking "could you not have decided this *before* dinner was ready?? 

• Like 6

Took a nap. 

Made the check-list template for my classes (and it's printable 2 to a page! Yay me!); need to fill it in for Monday's list. 

Figured out 2 of the things I need to print, realized I don't have enough paper, so need to buy my big box of paper for the year and then can come print it. 

DH said he'll cook dinner since I am currently more stressed than him. Yay, DH. We're having beefy mac. 

Need to figure out the remaining stuff to print and pack my school bag for Monday. 

DH says they are going to video game, so I have time to do my stuff and then veg out in front of ER, so that will be lovely. 

• Like 6

Dinner is over and was yummy. Left food in the kitchen for dh. 

Laundry started, bed remade with clean linens. 

Texted directions/address.

Discussed plans for tomorrow with kids. Checked store hours.  

About to watch a movie with kids. Plenty of work to do: grocery, school AHG, but it's Friday night and we're going to relax. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 5

Nachos instead of beefy mac. Cool; works for me. Yay, DH!

Finished the checklist for my classes for Monday, and decided the last thing to print, so now that's "done"(-ish) until I go get paper. I need to write it all down so I don't forget what I decided. Ha! I'll make a separate file too just in case and print one copy of everything.....

Can organize my supplies and stuff/pack my bag while I watch ER while the guys video game. 

Tomorrow we take DS18 to set up his fridge, microwave, etc. (have to buy a step stool for the bed, as it has to be super high to fit the fridge...), walk around campus and find his buildings for his classes (maybe go inside?? I wonder if they'll have buildings open on weekends.....), etc. He won't stay the night until Sunday, but the roommate comes back then, too, so this way we won't be in the way. He has meetings and things that night as well, so it might be "get out, parents" by then. Ha! 

Heard from one apt complex for DS21, very doable option, so starting all the online app stuff for that and our other choice and will click "finish" once we know if his on campus option goes through or not (or if he decides stick to off campus). 

Feeling much better about my list, although to be honest, I have not gone back up to see what I actually posted this morning. Ha. Sunday I'll finish the quilt, or tomorrow if I have time. And the other stuff. 

• Like 5