Menu

Writing curriculum like Jump In but with less interaction with me?

I’m working with a middle schooler on remedial writing skills, trying to do a short-term intensive to get him up to speed.

After researching here I got the “Jump In” curriculum and the format/pace/content is perfect (minus a couple worldview things, but academically it’s good enough for me to overlook those) but I am learning this student would do better with something less interactive with me. 

I’d really appreciate any curriculum suggestions, would prefer something self paced if possible. I know I’ll need to read and grade the writing assignments, I’m comfortable with that, just would like something where I’m not having to give feedback so frequently bc that’s where we are butting heads.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by homeschoolally

Wow, I actually found Jump In to be pretty low-teacher involvement/low interactive -- and that was with a struggling writer with mild LDs... However, he was 8th grade and just beginning to turn the corner on writing, so maybe more able to start being somewhat independent with writing...??  And perhaps it just felt lower in needing me by comparison to the extremely high need of me being right there for the entire process up to that point...

Other possible independent ideas:
Wordsmith (Christian, but not obnoxiously so -- reminds me of a lighter version of Jump In)
Winning with Writing
book 2 and book 3 of Diana Hanbury King's Writing Skills -- but there is a LOT of fill-in-the-blank grammar and writing exercises, and not as much independent instruction as you might need

Perhaps the creative writing aspect of Cover Story might draw in the student?

Just my opinion, but writing, esp. if the student is behind or struggles to connect with it, is just not something that can be done independently without much teacher interaction or guidance. My experience with both of my DSs (one a struggling writer, the other an average writer who hated writing), and with my co-op classes in Lit. & Writing (always have a range from multiple remedial writers through lots of beginning/average writers, to 1-2 strong writers every year), is that they need some pretty intensive one-on-one to walk through the writing process for those middle school and early high school years to understand how to move forward and get solid in writing. Just my experience! 🙂

Since butting heads is the issue, I'd suggest outsourcing the grading/commenting if at all possible. I have repeatedly had parents of my co-op classes tell me, "he/she will write for you, but not for me," and, "she/he will listen to your comments, but is so touchy about my comments )or disregards my comments." I DO think this is partly an age/development thing -- writing is such a difficult and personal activity for so many students that they often do much better with an outside-of-the-family person overseeing it. Perhaps look for another homeschooling mom who is an English or Writing teacher? Or a homeschool co-op? Or an online writing class? Or hire a local tutor?

If nothing available locally, then a google search pulled up these online options -- I know *nothing* about either:
Reasonable Homeschooling
Suzanne Barrett

Another option might be watching the Essentials in Writing videos -- they have a scoring service that is very reasonably priced, but it is it full for this year. Which puts you back in the position of grading/commenting (and butting heads). But perhaps if the writing instruction were "outsourced" to DVD lessons, the 2 of you can come to a compromise about revising papers together??

If outsourcing entirely is an option, you might check out classes at: Brave WriterLantern English, Write At Home, or Home to Teach. Or, possibly Schole Academic Tutoring for online individual tutoring (there is a choice of prices for level of individual attention and # of hours).

BEST of luck in finding what works for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found Essentials in Writing to be less teacher intensive than Jump In. When I tried Jump In with my oldest, he required a lot of help. Essentials was more step by step and really explained what to do for every little bit. Even without the grading service (which they didn't have when I was using it), it was very user-friendly.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 7:51 PM, Lori D. said:

Wow, I actually found Jump In to be pretty low-teacher involvement/low interactive -- and that was with a struggling writer with mild LDs... However, he was 8th grade and just beginning to turn the corner on writing, so maybe more able to start being somewhat independent with writing...??  And perhaps it just felt lower in needing me by comparison to the extremely high need of me being right there for the entire process up to that point...

Other possible independent ideas:
Wordsmith (Christian, but not obnoxiously so -- reminds me of a lighter version of Jump In)
Winning with Writing
book 2 and book 3 of Diana Hanbury King's Writing Skills -- but there is a LOT of fill-in-the-blank grammar and writing exercises, and not as much independent instruction as you might need

Perhaps the creative writing aspect of Cover Story might draw in the student?

Just my opinion, but writing, esp. if the student is behind or struggles to connect with it, is just not something that can be done independently without much teacher interaction or guidance. My experience with both of my DSs (one a struggling writer, the other an average writer who hated writing), and with my co-op classes in Lit. & Writing (always have a range from multiple remedial writers through lots of beginning/average writers, to 1-2 strong writers every year), is that they need some pretty intensive one-on-one to walk through the writing process for those middle school and early high school years to understand how to move forward and get solid in writing. Just my experience! 🙂

Since butting heads is the issue, I'd suggest outsourcing the grading/commenting if at all possible. I have repeatedly had parents of my co-op classes tell me, "he/she will write for you, but not for me," and, "she/he will listen to your comments, but is so touchy about my comments )or disregards my comments." I DO think this is partly an age/development thing -- writing is such a difficult and personal activity for so many students that they often do much better with an outside-of-the-family person overseeing it. Perhaps look for another homeschooling mom who is an English or Writing teacher? Or a homeschool co-op? Or an online writing class? Or hire a local tutor?

If nothing available locally, then a google search pulled up these online options -- I know *nothing* about either:
Reasonable Homeschooling
Suzanne Barrett

Another option might be watching the Essentials in Writing videos -- they have a scoring service that is very reasonably priced, but it is it full for this year. Which puts you back in the position of grading/commenting (and butting heads). But perhaps if the writing instruction were "outsourced" to DVD lessons, the 2 of you can come to a compromise about revising papers together??

If outsourcing entirely is an option, you might check out classes at: Brave WriterLantern English, Write At Home, or Home to Teach. Or, possibly Schole Academic Tutoring for online individual tutoring (there is a choice of prices for level of individual attention and # of hours).

BEST of luck in finding what works for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I know this is an old thread but this post seriously headed off a panic attack today. Thank you!!!

• Like 1