Menu

Drooping cuffs.

dirty ethel rackham

Such an important fashion topic ... Any ideas on how to stop the dreaded problem of drooping cuffs?  I bought these cuffed shorts from Costco ... I really like them, so much so that I bought them in 2 colors.  They fit this middle-aged shaped body well and are flattering.  Except for one problem.  After wearing them for a couple of hours and sitting in them, the cuffs lost their gravity defying ability shown on the model and start to droop.  Especially on the inside of the leg and behind the legs.  They were even worse after washing.  I tried tacking the inner leg up, but that hasn't solved the back side.  I am in the middle of a couple of sewing projects and want to tackle this issue.  I have lots of sewing notions out right now.  Any ideas?  

Similar to Bambam, I think interfacing could help. You could iron/sew a strip into the part of the cuff that never shows, even if you have to iron it to what would be the right side of the fabric when it's unrolled.

I am picturing three layers:

1. the bottom--this is the part of the shorts that is "covered" by the rolled up part.

2. the wrong side (outside/top layer)--this is the part that shows the wrong side when it's all rolled up.

3. the hem--the part that is tucked into the rolled up cuff. 

If this is the way it's rolled, I think you'd need the interfacing (or the fusible tape), on layer 2. You'd place it on what would normally be the "right side" of the fabric. If you use the fusible stuff, you'd fuse it to what would normally be the "right side" of layer 3. 

It might gap away from the leg a little at that point, but probably not droop--the added stiffness might make tacking up the inner leg effective. 

If you are good at using ironing starch, you could probably starch them in those areas and see if it helps before doing something more drastic or permanent. Or, you could roll up a strip of paper into the hem and see how it behaves--if you crinkle the paper first to make it a little bit flexible, I bet the paper would be a very similar weight to interfacing.

50 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Can you just tack up the back side? Or maybe invest in the fusible tape that some use for hems? - like this stuff - https://www.amazon.com/HeatnBond-Iron-Adhesive-Regular-Weight/dp/B000XZTSYQ/

I tried tacking the inner seam, but it wouldn't look right on the back.  I may have to go with the adhesive.  

27 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I've used the fusible tape on shorts that do that.  It works well.

Glad to hear that it works.  

27 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Similar to Bambam, I think interfacing could help. You could iron/sew a strip into the part of the cuff that never shows, even if you have to iron it to what would be the right side of the fabric when it's unrolled.

I am picturing three layers:

1. the bottom--this is the part of the shorts that is "covered" by the rolled up part.

2. the wrong side (outside/top layer)--this is the part that shows the wrong side when it's all rolled up.

3. the hem--the part that is tucked into the rolled up cuff. 

If this is the way it's rolled, I think you'd need the interfacing (or the fusible tape), on layer 2. You'd place it on what would normally be the "right side" of the fabric. If you use the fusible stuff, you'd fuse it to what would normally be the "right side" of layer 3. 

It might gap away from the leg a little at that point, but probably not droop--the added stiffness might make tacking up the inner leg effective. 

If you are good at using ironing starch, you could probably starch them in those areas and see if it helps before doing something more drastic or permanent. Or, you could roll up a strip of paper into the hem and see how it behaves--if you crinkle the paper first to make it a little bit flexible, I bet the paper would be a very similar weight to interfacing.

Thanks for the detailed instructions.  I did try starching, but it didn't last.  Once I sat  in the car (cloth seats), they were drooping again.   

42 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

I did try starching, but it didn't last.  Once I sat  in the car (cloth seats), they were drooping again.   

I was thinking more for trying out which part needs more stiffening or what it would look/behave like if part is stiffened (as with interfacing or tape). Sometimes a fix for one part creates a problem in another place! 

• Like 1