Menu

Jim Weiss Audio Books

MomN

I picked up a Jim Weiss audiobook of Treasure Island at a library sale and was curious as to what people thought of his audiobooks.  I specifically am wondering about abridged versions of classics like Treasure Island or The Jungle Book.  Better to read the unabridged version or start with Jim Weiss?

Also, anyone heard a good recording of The Jungle Book (unabridged)?  I have started listening to a few and the voices seem really monotone.

Thank you!

We LOVE Jim Weiss audio books here. At first, I didn't want to do anything abridged, but then realized that my oldest is a tad sensitive to peril, suspense, mean people, that sort of things, so it helps tremendously if he knows the story and how it will end beforehand. Therefore, listening and reading abridged versions has helped him be able to stick it out for the unabridged versions. Granted, he's only going into 7th, but we've had a few like that.

I like how Weiss adds extra info at the beginning, and changes voices for different characters (I hate to do this), and his overall telling really makes the story make sense because of the small changes and inner explanations he adds. 

• Like 2

I love Jim Weiss's audiobooks.

Good quality abridged versions help kids get the big picture and fall in love with the story without being bogged down by long, difficult passages.  They then may be inspired to put the effort into reading the unabridged version when they are ready.  And even if they don't ever read the full version, they still have enough knowledge of the work for cultural literacy.  It's a win-win.  It's the same principle as early exposure to world history via Story of the World - a really engaging abridged version of world history that whets the appetite for more.    And even if the DC never specifically study, say,  Ancient China, or the Cyrus the Great, or Simon Bolivar and South American revolutions ever again, they've had enough exposure for basic cultural literacy.

We have the unabridged Jungle Book read by Tony Robinson.  I think it's quite good.

We also have the Just So Stories read by Boris Karloff.  It's great!

• Like 1

We loved his Ancient Greek tales (the older version, title eludes me).  I very much disliked The Wind in the Willows reading.  We enjoyed SOTW 1 and 2 readings.  SOTW 3 was meh.  So I can’t make a blanket recommendation.  

ETA: I prefer to not read abridged classics and wait until they are ready for the language.  But I’ve found they are ready far sooner if there’s a good audiobook reading.  

Edited by Targhee