Menu

CAP W&R for High School?

DS is now in 9th grade.  He has struggled immensely with writing (dysgraphia).  He did the Intro to WWS and WWS1 with WTMA, and last year he took a middle school writing class with Open Tent.  I took a chance this summer and started having him work through CAP W&R because it is a different approach.  He is doing very well with it, doesn't complain, and it's like night and day when it comes to what he is writing.  Has anyone used CAP W&R for high school and how did you pace the program?  Is there anyone who switched and accelerated the program, and if so how?  I have been hand selecting assignments from each book and only doing review as necessary.  I see that CAP is using it for the online academy in high school, but is W&R enough for high school, or at least for the first 2-3 years? 

We hated WWS, but love W&R! As I recall, I believe the author's recommendations for a faster pace through the series would be W&R Books 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 9 and 10, essentially dropping Books 3, 6, and 8. I have to say that after going through the whole series, I concur with his suggestion.

My young man completed Books 9 & 10 this year for 9th grade, previously Books 1-8. The next two, Books 11 and 12, haven't been released yet, so for us.... The Argument Builder and/or The Art of Poetry along with Everyday Debate & Discussion are good for 10th, with Rhetoric Alive! Book 1 for 11th grade and Rhetoric Alive! Senior Thesis for 12th grade. Another option would be using the Rhetoric Alive! series in 10th and 11th grades, leaving room for something else in 12th grade, but most likely the former.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mom21 said:

We hated WWS, but love W&R! As I recall, I believe the author's recommendations for a faster pace through the series would be W&R Books 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 9 and 10, essentially dropping Books 3, 6, and 8. I have to say that after going through the whole series, I concur with his suggestion.

My young man completed Books 9 & 10 this year for 9th grade, previously Books 1-8. The next two, Books 11 and 12, haven't been released yet, so for us.... The Argument Builder and/or The Art of Poetry along with Everyday Debate & Discussion are good for 10th, with Rhetoric Alive! Book 1 for 11th grade and Rhetoric Alive! Senior Thesis for 12th grade. Another option would be using the Rhetoric Alive! series in 10th and 11th grades, leaving room for something else in 12th grade, but most likely the former.

Do you have any idea where you might have come across the author's recommendations?  That is exactly what I've been looking for, but haven't located.  

Yes, this is my plan.  After looking at many writing programs,  I felt like the skills in W&R were the ones this DD needed to work on.  She is s very good writer, does great with 5 paragraph essay form and spends time each day writing stories.  We did Fable in 5 weeks, skipping through and focusing on sentence play and the story writing.  Now we are doing Narrative 1 and I also have Narrative 2.  I'm thinking 6-8 weeks per book (we will be pausing to write a literary essay).  I'm planning to skip Cheria and move to book 5 after that.  Our goals are to work on sentence structure,  story writing elements,  supporting details rather than form.

11 hours ago, Mom21 said:

Besides being discussed in threads here which I’ll never be able to find, it may be in this podcast—an interview with the author, Paul Kortepeter.

Thank you for the link.  I will listen to this.  

I found the section on writing in rhetoric in the newer edition of WTM.  It reinforces the idea of waiting until high school for the progymnasmata, and although it references Classical Composition it includes a suggested plan for the stages.  I feel much more comfortable using W&R for high school. 

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, melmichigan said:

Thank you for the link.  I will listen to this.  

I found the section on writing in rhetoric in the newer edition of WTM.  It reinforces the idea of waiting until high school for the progymnasmata, and although it references Classical Composition it includes a suggested plan for the stages.  I feel much more comfortable using W&R for high school. 

There is a quick reference chart that she provides here as well, mentioning W&R as an option is high school.

Edited by Mom21
  • Like 1