Menu

Handwriting paper spacing

If your child struggles with printing (letter formation), do you keep them using the larger-spaced handwriting paper or do you use the grade-"appropriate" handwriting?

So for example, if you child is in 2nd grade, do you have them work on their handwriting with K/1 spaced paper or with 2nd grade spaced paper?

Is writing large letters helpful as they age (assuming the fine motor skills are in place)?  I mean it's difficult for *me* to print letters neatly on K/1 paper!

I think the big lines are helpful for learning the strokes initially, but once he’s got an idea of what the letters ought to look like there’s no harm in playing around with line size to see what suits him best.

My son went through a phase of wanting to write in teensy tiny letters. He begged to switch to “normal” (wide rule) paper. I was hesitant, but it was less tiring for his hand & his writing became neater almost immediately. 

Edited by Expat_Mama_Shelli
  • Like 1