Menu

What's with the ads?

Jann in TX

Lets talk babies and baby stuff...

I'll be a grandmother by Christmas.  My dd will be single-parenting and has moved back in with us for the next year or so (daycare costs will be too high for her to afford on her first year teacher salary).  Did I mention baby is a BOY-- I had 3 girls so this will be new territory! 

DD was gifted with several bags of baby boy clothes size NB-18 months-- other than sleepers she is set there (what baby needs 15 pairs of jeans in size 6-9 months!!!).

DD has asked me to help put together a list of items she MUST have (minimalist).  She is trying to put together a budget and the baby's father and his family are wanting to contribute towards some items (she will NOT be counting on him for any child support-- they will negotiate that and visitation in the next few months and hopefully he will give up most of his rights -- for reasons not to be discussed in a forum!).

Besides the basics (crib, stroller, car seats) what would you consider essential?  Also any suggestions for brand of crib or car seat?  Stroller will need to have big wheels (off road) so we are limited in that choice-- joys of country life!

Thanks for any suggestions-- this is going to be FUN!

• Like 4

It can be nice to have a carrier or wrap.

Bottles.

Pump if she will be breastfeeding, her health insurance will likely pay for one.

• Like 1

Congratulations!  How wonderful that she has a job and that you can help her with the care.  That support will be invaluable.

I would consider a front carrier of some sort to be essential.  A bouncy seat is nice (but none of my littles wanted to be set down!)  Lots of receiving blankets are handy, for sure.

• Like 4

Essential: a good, soft structured carrier.  I like Ergo, others have their preference.  I did pretty minimalist but I think it's going to depend on lifestyle for a lot of it.  A playsilk was one of the best things I bought, but it's not necessary.  I loved it because it was perfect for everything: draping over a sleepy baby in a carrier/stroller for shade, as a light, thin blanket, and playtime.  For the baby I watched I liked to have a bumbo-like seat, but the one I got was better for us.  The tray stored directly underneath and it had room to grow.  She used it from about 5 months on.  I also liked an Itzbeen for both my own kid and the ones I watched.  The timers allowed all of us involved in the kid's life to see at a glance when last change/feed/medicine/nap was.  When it came to time to hand off, the gaining caregiver had all the information.

There are a lot of good car seats out there but Chicco has some great features for growth, like a chest clip that gets wider.  They're also pretty easy to install and are parent-friendly.

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 1

I loved my chicco carseat but it's heavy. My stroller could hold a carseat or a child. $80 at target, lasted 2 kids. Get a jogger!

Those muslin baby blankets are amazing. You can throw them on the changing table at the mall, throw them over their head when it's sunny, swaddle them no matter how fussy they are. They are recommended on every baby thread for a reason. Buy two packs of four.

If she chooses to do pacifiers the pacifiers with the attached stuffed animals are amazing. They can grab the stuffed animal long before they can grab the pacifier so you're not getting up in the middle of the night to get it for them. You can also stick the stuffed animal in the straps of the car seat so that it doesn't fall.

Check out some of the book collections from sonlight 3/4.

Do a registry whether or not you have a shower because you will get a discount at the end. If you do have a shower have a raffle for a $40 Amazon gift card. Raffle entry is one box of diapers.

Get nipple cream, Tylenol, gum rub, etc. now so you don't have to run out when you need it. Take as many pads from the hospital that they'll let you.

• Like 2

A bouncy seat is the only way I got to shower, so I consider that essential.  As it was, I had the bathroom door wide open and baby could see me the whole time from her seat on the floor.  Once she grew out of the bouncy seat, one of those saucers was needed for times like that.

• Like 4

For our boys, we went through about 100 diapers a week for the first six weeks.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Carriers are very personal in preference.  Is there a baby store near you that she could try on a few?  

A bouncy seat was a life saver. One of my kids HATED the carrier, the car seat but loved that bouncy seat.  Those thin muslin blankets are great. They take up no room and are very useful.

And this is a little early but it is close out time for this stuff in stores, a gardening pad  for the knees.  I could bath the kids when they were a bit older without killing my knees. 

I loved my bath sling seat thing.  It fit in the kitchen sink so it made it so easy to bath the baby.  And it took up very little room.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

My children hated the Bumbo but loved the baby swing.  I found a nursery rocker to be essential, actually I had two, one in the living room and one in the nursery.  My children found rocking soothing.   Baby gates or a pack and play become essential when baby reaches the crawling stage.   Eventually she'll want a high chair or a strap on booster seat.

Diapers and wipes/soft washcloths, burp rags.  Something to use as a diaper bag.

• Like 1

A cradle style swing was critical for one of mine, it was the only place he was happy up until about 4 months.

• Like 1

Honestly strollers aren’t essential. I didn’t have one until my fifth child and that was because I ran out of hands to carry Co op stuff.  A soft structured carrier like a Beco or a woven wrap are WAY more useful, especially with with rough terrain.

I use a pack ‘n play pulled up next to the bed as our crib, and my kids stay in them until about 3 years old.  You can buy additional thicker mattresses for them to use after they can roll and have better head control, and I’m glad we did.

A vibrating bouncy chair is my other new baby essential. That’s what we always use for play in the living room until they can sit, the toy bar gets a ton of use too. We don’t really use swings but those bouncers, instead.

BIG muslin swaddling blankets are 100% worth it:

https://www.adenandanais.com/swaddles

Car seats, I like Chico or Britax systems for baby buckets, and we did a Clek FLLO and then a Diono Radian as our bigger kid seats.  No complaints, except the weight of the Clek.

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 4

Congrats to everyone!

And cover the pen!s during diaper changes always...beware the firehose effect!I

Always have a few cloth diapers or even receiving blankets at the ready.

LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I didn’t see a boppy pillow mentioned yet. By now, other brands may be better or more popular, but I ADORED the boppy from 1998 to 2011!  Breast or bottle, I wouldn’t have survived feedings without it. 

I mean, the occasional feeding out and about was fine without it. But hours and hours of feeding and feeding? Comfort is important!

• Like 5

If you are in the country, I highly recommend getting a BOB Revolution stroller if at all possible. They are pricey, but they are worth every.single.dime if you are doing anything with the stroller beyond slick city sidewalks and malls.

I had a Revolution Pro Duallie for my kids and once they outgrew it (which it will last you as long as you can get a kid to want to sit in a stroller) I turned around and sold it four years later for $150 less than I paid for it (mine was a double so it was more expensive than a single). Around here they get snapped up like crazy on Craigslist. I got YEARS out of that thing though and it was never the worse for wear. It held up far better than my Chico or any of the other strollers we had and I took that thing running every single day. 

• Like 2

The seat from my swing came out and was a bouncy seat. It was great.

I prefer carriers to strollers but my husband did the carrying. If I didn't have him I'd be stroller all the way.

If she gets a c/s ask for the spray for her tummy. All of the Percocet in the country could not help my tummy but that spray was a godsend. Also good for toddler booboos because you don't have to touch them. Speaking of which, if the kid is sensitive get a red washcloth for when they get hurt so the blood isn't obvious.

Put a onsie, wipes and spare diapers in a zip lock in the car. When you get the point of not taking the diaper bag to 7-11 you will still have emergency clothes and a bag that seals. Use unopened wipes because you will hardly use them and they will dry out. If you have to open them replace them.

• Like 1

Just now, Slache said:

The Boppy! Yes. Do that.

Whereas I found just plain old stacked bed pillows SO much better and more firm.  But I tend to nurse in a football clutch and boppies sagged too much for that.  That’s something she may need to experiment with before buying, if there is a church or homeschool friend you could borrow one from.

• Like 2

For my youngest i didn't use a crib, just a pack 'n play. The crib is big and has more limited use. We still have the p'nplay in a closet for visitors.

• Like 1

If possible, see if the store will let her try the carseat IN her car before buying. Depending on which model of car she has, some car seat models work/fit better than others with rear facing. We had Babies R Us here back then that would let you take them out and try them, but they're obviously out of business. I don't know if other stores let you do that, but it sure makes it easier. We have definitely had cases where the car seat did not fit in the car with the front seats positioned as they typically would. 

Edited by Æthelthryth the Texan
  • Like 1

I just had a surprise baby after giving all my baby stuff from the other 5 kids away, and I did *not* want to re-buy all kinds of stuff I would only need a few times. So no stroller. I have a car seat, a crib with a good mattress and a waterproof mattress cover, a saucer play thingamajig, a foam bath pillow for sink baths, a diaper changing pad and covers, a diaper bag, a few toys, and a bouncer seat. I did splurge on the high end Ergo baby because of my 45 year old back lol! I did keep my Boppy pillow for sentimental reasons and while it's falling apart I just got a couple new covers for it and it's fine. I couldn't bear the thought of using a different one than I used for the other kids, but old or new a Boppy is a must in my opinion. I also had kept all my favorite board books.

A few sleepers and onesies, lots of burp rags, and a muslin blanket.

Sam's club diapers are about half the price of Huggies, fyi.

• Like 1

Congratulations! Grandkids are so much fun! I have a dd that went through the same scenario as yours and it was such a joy to have the opportunity to be so close to my grandson.  💕

My daughter loved the muslin and bamboo swaddling blankets silky soft swaddle blanket - hmm, looks like they're all bamboo? anyway, they feel amazing. A couple other things we have found useful:

A simple basic bouncy seat was so useful when he was little.

A floor seat  is what is making grandson #2 happy at the moment. He has outgrown the bouncy seat and didn't like the Bumbo  so we tried this and he's liking it. We also have a 

baby jumper that he LOVES but we only have one doorway near the kitchen that we can use for it. 

A nice bonus is that when these items are grown out of, my dd can trade them in at a baby resale store for other things. 🙂 Enjoy your new grand baby!

• Like 1

We had low-cost convertible cribs that were used until my kids were 5 (and then I handed them down to my nieces).

One of my kids could be a bit fussy, but she liked a bouncy baby seat with vibration ... something like this:  https://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-bouncer-geometric-meadow/-/A-46789636?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Baby%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Baby&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9015330&ds_rl=1241788&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1242884&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgoHY3tSC5AIVA5-fCh1sAw5REAQYASABEgJSZPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

One of my favorite purchases was the Baby Bjorn Little Potty (I don't find it online any more - maybe their Smart Potty is the current version).  My kids loved it and could use it as soon as they could sit up.  Saved a lot on diapers and related products.  I also liked Imse Vimse training pants (cloth + leak-proof).

For independent play time, I liked the Superyard.  https://northstatesind.com/product/superyard-classic/.

Another thing I really liked was CDs with lovely music in different languages / styles, especially Putamayo and the Ellipsis Lullaby series.

• Like 1

I much preferred a stroller over a carrier or wrap they were much to hot for me.

”must haves” are so individual that it is hard to plan in advance. What one mom likes another will not use. 

Clothes diapers, wipes, burp rags, blankets, bottles, and a car seat would be all that I consider essentials.  I would not even buy many bottles in advance because baby may have a different preference. All that and a safe place to put the Baby down is all that is absolutely necessary. Everything else are nice extras. 

If it was me, I would be looking for gently used items. The only thing I would be set on buying new is a car seat. I would suggest a second car seat or second base for grandma’s car so that you don’t have to mess with re-attaching the car seat every time a different car is used.

my most favorite item was a water proof sheet thing that snapped around the bars of the crib over top of the “pretty” sheets. Then when the baby spit up or had a diaper blow out, all we had to do was unsnap the one sheet and snap a new one down. It was so much easier than changing out standard crib sheets each time. But that was 25yrs ago, so I don’t know if something like that still exists.

• Like 2

I also think you want a few carriers. A nice soft structured carrier or mei-tai, a ring sling or pouch, and a long woven wrap will cover all your needs very nicely. (The ring sling, aside from being the cuddliest way to carry an infant, is ESSENTIAL for hip carries during that up-and-down stage.)

• Like 1

Chicco makes a jogging stroller (the Activ3) which we really loved. Unlike the BOB, it has solid wheels that don't need to be filled with air periodically. Chicco's infant car seat (Keyfit) tends to get top reviews, and it clicks into the Activ3.

For carriers, we really like our Lillebaby. It has a back support panel that makes it comfortable for long wears. I can tote my toddler around for hours and be fine. The pricetag is high but you can frequently find certain colors/fabric styles on sale on Amazon.

Sleep aids may be helpful, especially for a single mom. Blackout curtains for the nursery, a white noise machine, a few different types of swaddles/sleepsacks. 

The best advice I got, though, were consignment sales. They typically run seasonally (fall and spring) and I got SO much for SO cheap. Search the site consignment mommies for sales in your area or look for a local/regional mom-blog page.

• Like 1

I second the cover the penis straight up while changing a diaper tip. I changed a friend's baby girl awhile ago and started by doing that where you put the diaper on the front and pull it back around and she was like, what the heck, why. And I was like, because you have to cover... oh. Heh.

Britax was involved in a massive coverup of a stroller that should have been recalled. After reading about their behavior and how little ones were injured, I'd never buy Britax again.

Swaddle technology has come a long way since mine were babies. There are so many good swaddling products now. I'd check that out.

I wouldn't get a swing right off... I feel like they have limited use. And I second Arctic Mama that the stroller isn't always necessary. I say carrier first and then see if she's going to use a stroller and if so, what she really needs. We also got zero use out of the cribs (a friend of mine referred to the crib as "the most expensive laundry basket I ever bought") but I had planned to co-sleep. Still, she may want a bassinet, a pack n' play, a sidecar thing, or something else instead.

I feel like a lot of the Ikea baby furniture is the cheapest for the best value. Their cribs all convert to toddler beds. And they're unbelievably easier to put together as well. Baby furniture is so fleeting. Getting safe and solid, decent looking, but also inexpensive screams Ikea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

Stroller will need to have big wheels (off road) so we are limited in that choice-- joys of country life!

Jogger stroller with infant car seat with car seat base  - which my neighbors who prefer infant car seat uses

Jogger stroller and car seat - which is what I used as my kids were “big” (58cm length) as newborns and they prefer a bigger car seat and stroller space

Bob Revolution is most comfy on hiking trials because it’s built for that. Kind of like choosing a bicycle, jogging strollers with great suspension are the most comfy. I have an Instep (Schwinn) double jogger since my kids are a year apart. The wheels are bicycle wheels which makes maintenance easy. I use a bicycle pump for the tires (14” front wheel, 18” back wheels).

e.g

https://www.amazon.com/BOB-Gear-Revolution-Travel-Graphite/dp/B07P8BGVD3/ref=asc_df_B07P8BGVD3/

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

My minimal baby list- most was purchased used.

Swing- I like the take along small travel swings

Carsear- I got a Chicco and really liked it

Mini pack n play with the bassinet insert - this was new for me, but the size was perfect for those first 8 weeks by my bed.  Longer if baby doesn't get too mobile.  (We used this or coslept, don't use a crib and transition to a mattress on the floor about age 1.)

Muslin swaddle blankets, I use these for everything- spit up, nursing cover up, I wanted 4-6 and used them all the time- I found a 3pack at Aldis one day for $10!!!

3 or so larger blankets for play and tummy time

Nubby brand muslin teething bib- 4 these were great!

Burp clothes- 15ish- can be anything from cloth diapers to the muslin blankets, but have plenty

Sleepers-8 in each size, minimum.  I prefer 8-10.  My babies don't wear anything but footed sleepers until they can crawl.  No socks to worry with 😉

As for carriers, I would wait and see.  I've had babies that loved it and babies that refused to be in them.  My last was the later, we just used a ring sling for the tiny phase, then she did not want in it after about 4 months old.  I would get a moby or ring sling for the beginning, but hold off on the other carriers until you see if she uses it.

Stroller- same thing, wait and see what type you need.  I like the umbrella strollers that are in the $50 range- I do not want a huge stroller, something that clips a carrier on it, ect.  I like small and lightweight.   This you can often borrow or find used.

If nursing- Boppy with cover, pump, pads and Lansinoh

Bottles, brushes and drying rack

If formula feeding ask for money, it can get expensive and you don't know what baby will tolerate.   Some need different formula, so start with a small canister to try out.  Do not buy ahead! 

Diapers- I use cloth, but if disposable ask for larger sizes- we stay in 3s for a long time.  

High Chair- I like the ones that strap into the chair, and my babies usually start sitting in them about 2 months old.  They recline, so ots more like a seat for them to sit in while you cook or eat.  $40ish

For the bath, I just hold baby or use a sink.  There is one baby bath seat I like at Target, it's mesh and dries quickly.  Baby reclines in it,its nice the first 2 months (but honestly a sink works fine).  My babies tend to sit up early,by 4 months old they don't use it anymore.

• Like 1

Lots of great ideas.  I'll 2nd the bouncy seat as it stands out.  Two of my three grandkids, whom I babysit, wouldn't allow me to put them down unless they were sitting up.  I put them in those (surrounded by cloth diapers/towels) by the time they were around 3-4 months old.  They loved it.  But, it only lasts about 3-6 mo. and then they're mobile and don't want to be put into it. They take up so much space to store- like an old-fashioned cradle.   Try and find one that stores well.  With the minimalist craze I bet there's something better than those big clunky plastic Fischer Price ones.  

Speaking of cradles.  My minimalist DIL got something like for our newest grandbaby:  https://www.albeebaby.com/summer-infant-swaddleme-deluxe-by-your-side-sleeper-grey.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=googlepla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4s7qBRCzARIsAImcAxayusgf8u5uQzMH8UfH-V6YfNLsftB9xvng74ja2tnI3ekUs-HMWgwaAmwrEALw_wcB

It has been a great way to keep baby in bed with her but granddaughter has her own space.  And it looks like it will fold up and store very nicely when she outgrows it.   It's smaller than a laundry basket.

I used an old drawer lined with firm foam mattress cut to the right size and then put a pillowcase on it for softness and cleaning.  I would put it on two chairs (facing each other)  and it lined up right next to the bed.  My kids still talk about remembering their siblings in a drawer.  🙂 

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, City Mouse said:

The only thing I would be set on buying new is a car seat. I would suggest a second car seat or second base for grandma’s car so that you don’t have to mess with re-attaching the car seat every time a different car is used.

This is a GREAT idea

1 hour ago, cabercro said:

a white noise machine

Best $50 I've ever spent. Seriously.

I agree with the boppy. Even bottle feeding it makes it more comfortable for everyone.

While there are amazing all-in-one car seats, I would plan on getting two: a bucket seat for newborn until he is too heavy to carry with an extra base for your car, and then later an all-in-one seat, preferably that allows rear facing as long as possible.  The bucket seat is worth it because so often baby will fall asleep in the car and will sleep through several errands as long as you don't take them out of the car seat.

Get a muslin cover for the bucket seat so when creepy people sneeze in the direction of your baby at the grocery store you know they are safe.

I LOVE this baby bath.  It works well for preemies.  It works well for a giant foster baby we had that wore size 3T and couldn't hold up its head at 6 months old.  It holds their heads up at a good angle so you can still rinse shampoo out.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SNM4KS0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Get something like this to rinse his hair without shampoo getting into his eyes: https://www.amazon.com/Skip-Hop-Tear-Free-Waterfall-Rinser/dp/B00FXR5S20/ref=sr_1_4?crid=11DVH2WHSHWV2&keywords=shampoo+rinser&qid=1565806869&s=baby-products&sprefix=shampoo%2Cbaby-products%2C254&sr=1-4

Get some nylon webbing from a fabric store and some screws and washers and secure everything that could fall or be climbed to the wall.  Or get some of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017XGATRW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Get Swaddle Up swaddles.  They zip so baby can't escape them, their arms are up so they are more comfortable, and their arms are up so they'll start rolling during tummy time and not overnight.  Just buy the smallest ones in case he's the type who starts rolling at 6 weeks.  At least two for the inevitable diaper leaks and blowouts.  https://www.amazon.com/Love-Dream-Dramatically-Preferred-self-Soothing/dp/B0081GJ038/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=swaddle+up&qid=1565806927&s=baby-products&sr=1-3

Get blanket sleeper pajamas later, and layer sleep sacks over that: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0743KZ2VC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Baby Bum Diaper Cream brush (small one for the diaper bag and large one for the changing table)  Wipe them clean with a diaper wipe.

• Like 1

I'm pregnant with my 6th.  We thought we were done after number 5, so when we were moving this year I got rid of EVERYTHING!!! So, now I have to decide what the bare minimum is for me since we will absolutely be done after this baby. So, here is my list so far.

Baby carrier

co sleeper bassinet and sheets

a few swaddling blankets

convertible car seat

Boppy (but only because I know I will have a csection and it is easier to maneuver that pillows whileI'm recovering)

good nursing bras

and possibly a swing (I'll likely only get that if someone lends me one or I find it cheap at a consignment sale because half my babies have hated them and the other half loved them) 

diapers and wipes galore!

There are tons of other things that can be useful but for me, the reality is I wouldn't use things like a baby bath( I wash with a wash cloth until baby is sitting up siting right in the sink is easy enough) or changing pad(   I just change the baby where ever I am once a kid brings me a diaper and wipes.) A stroller would be an essential if anyone regularly caring for the baby isn't comfortable with carrying the baby.  

• Like 4

I think I was actually a  minimalist mom going by these lists!

I had - a crib, a pram, a car seat.

Clothes - mostly Babygros with a few special outfits from grandparents/aunty.  Hats, socks, some cute cardies.

Nursing bras

Nursing pillow

Muslins - lots

A simple sling.

A few (nice) toys for when they were sitting up. Lovely wooden rattle - that kind of thing, A play rug. 

Honestly, I think that's it. 

• Like 4

@hjffkj I feel you. I got rid of everything too.  Siiiigh.  On the upside I know exactly what I will buy and what doesn’t work for us, now, so there won’t be as much fuss or waste in trying things out.  But it’s a budget line item I’m kicking down the line a few months 😬

• Like 1

For me, a *playpen* was a necessity.  Not a "pack n play" but an actually playpen.  Something big enough that it will contain a kid up to 18 months old or so.  When DD23 was a baby I had a GIANT octogonal shaped one.  When I finally got pregnant with DD10, finding a big *playpen* was so hard.  I received this one from my mom and sisters.  For me this was vital to not only keeping babies contained, but also keeping pets and later, toddlers from getting all up in baby's face in the split second I sneezed or something lol.  And, having a baby contained, where he/she could sit up, crawl around and *play* while still being contained enough that I could pee, or put a pizza in the oven or something....yes, for me a necessity.

• Like 2

I've had 7, and they all sort needed different things partially depending on their personality and partially depending on my needs at the time.

When our 4th was a baby, we had just started a business that I was working from home waaaaay more than full time.  My MIL bought a swing, which I'd never really used before, and he spent a ton of time in that thing.  He loved it.  I couldn't work while holding him in a carrier but he was happy to swing away from maybe 2 months to 9 months or so? I don't remember exactly.

Then with our 5th, we got a Nuna Leaf, which is like a swing/seat that goes side to side and most importantly is rated to 140 pounds.  140!  So none of my older kids, who by that time were rowdy rascals, could destroy it.  

With our first baby we had a pack-n-play that we used as a bassinet when she was very small; after that she was in a crib temporarily and then co-slept.  Since then we've always had a bassinet for the first couple of months but mostly co-slept, but the bassinet is still very helpful for a safe place to set the baby down.  I've not owned a crib in 14 years.  

For babies I've never needed a stroller; I use infant car seats and put those in a shopping cart when we go shopping, and use a baby carrier otherwise.  Toddlers and strollers are a good combo though.  

Anyway, yes, it really depends.  With our first I owned probably 50 of those prefold cloth diapers to use as burp rags and milk soaker-uppers; my supply was insane and I couldn't get the milk to stop.   Never needed one with another baby!

For pacifiers I like MAM.  only some of my kids have used them but the ones that used them really liked them.

Congratulations on the new baby, btw!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

I'm pregnant with my 6th. 

Congratulations! When is the baby due?

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

@hjffkj I feel you. I got rid of everything too.  Siiiigh.  On the upside I know exactly what I will buy and what doesn’t work for us, now, so there won’t be as much fuss or waste in trying things out.  But it’s a budget line item I’m kicking down the line a few months 😬

What?  Does this mean you are expecting too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

good nursing bras

Kindred Bravely bras are pricey but awesome! As are nursing tanks from Target. I wish they'd had these when I had my other kids. Supportive but comfortable for my ... ahem ... mature bOOks.

26 minutes ago, moonflower said:

For babies I've never needed a stroller; I use infant car seats and put those in a shopping cart when we go shopping

I did this for my other kids too, so what a rude awakening it was the first time I went shopping with my newest baby a fee months ago to find that the new car seats are NOT designed to go on top of the shopping cart seat anymore. Apparently it has been deemed unsafe so they don't fit anymore. I had to put the whole seat in the bed of the cart and was only able to get a few things instead of my whole list. Now I just take her in her Ergo baby or bring my other kids to push a 2nd cart.

12 minutes ago, school17777 said:

Congratulations! When is the baby due?

What?  Does this mean you are expecting too?

Thank you!  Feb 22nd.  It has been the hardest pregnancy so far but with the first trimester ending it has started getting better.

I was going to ask her the same thing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Are you pregnant again?  How exciting!  (How did I miss this!)  Hope everything goes super smoothly this time!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

Kindred Bravely bras are pricey but awesome! As are nursing tanks from Target. I wish they'd had these when I had my other kids. Supportive but comfortable for my ... ahem ... mature bOOks.

Those Kindred Bravery bra are not nearly as pricey as the nursing bras I used during previous babies, which ran $80.  But they last through 4 kids so it was worth it.

I'm actually wearing a Target nursing tank right now!  Dh bought me a few for Christmas right before my 2 and a half year old was born.  One of the best gifts EVER. I went out and bought a few more once number 5 came.  Now I used them for lounging around the house

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

I did this for my other kids too, so what a rude awakening it was the first time I went shopping with my newest baby a fee months ago to find that the new car seats are NOT designed to go on top of the shopping cart seat anymore. Apparently it has been deemed unsafe so they don't fit anymore. I had to put the whole seat in the bed of the cart and was only able to get a few things instead of my whole list. Now I just take her in her Ergo baby or bring my other kids to push a 2nd cart.

I put the carseat in the cart!  All the way in.  I don't get a ton of stuff at a time when I do this but I like to shop so it hasn't been a problem 🙂 Hmm, if you need to take an infant shopping for a week's food supply these days maybe you just have to go with a carrier.

Congratulations Arctic and hjffkj!  Arctic, how pregnant are you or is it rude to ask?  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

Are you pregnant again?  How exciting!  (How did I miss this!)  Hope everything goes super smoothly this time!

Haha, thanks everyone 🙂. Yeah, we are expecting #7 with much trepidation and excitement.  So this was a timely topic as I’ve had to think about it. Especially as this kid will be the fourth in whatever bedroom, so I can’t go heavy on the baby stuff or my house might explode 🤯

@moonflowerI’m not very far along, just five weeks, though things look good so far.

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Congratulations @Arctic Mama!! And congrats to BIG on being a big brother! How exciting! 

We will see how he likes it 😬😄

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Haha, thanks everyone 🙂. Yeah, we are expecting #7 with much trepidation and excitement.  So this was a timely topic as I’ve had to think about it. Especially as this kid will be the fourth in whatever bedroom, so I can’t go heavy on the baby stuff or my house might explode 🤯

@moonflowerI’m not very far along, just five weeks, though things look good so far.

O. M. G!    

Why did you not not say anything?!?!?!?   Wait, you didn’t know yet did you?   If you are 5 weeks now...

Yay!   Congrats!   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

O. M. G!    

Why did you not not say anything?!?!?!?   Wait, you didn’t know yet did you?   If you are 5 weeks now...

Yay!   Congrats!   

The kids don’t know, so I haven’t said anything in real life and probably won’t until the second trimester.  Plus I’d like JUST gotten a positive when we were over, and I hadn’t peed on enough sticks to convince myself I wasn’t seeing things.

I don’t need anymore carriers, that is so sweet to offer though!  I have like 12 wraps, two mei tais, a beco butterfly, etc 😳

A few thoughts:

1. If she is planning on pumping, get the really nice breast pump. I have had cheap ones and I've had hospital grade ones, and it is a huge world of difference. Skimp on everything else, but I didn't figure this out until kid #5 and wished I had figured it out earlier.  I did like having a microwave sterilizer pouches for the breast pump parts. (I had to sterilize for my preemies, but a separate dishpan for soaking in soapy water until scrubbing was great--especially if I had pumped on the go and had only rinsed and didn't get home until much later.)

https://www.amazon.com/Medela-Expression-Technology-Adjustable-Microfiber/dp/B004HWXCJS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=breast%2Bpump&qid=1565901106&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMDQzMzlaTDJEUDRGJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjEwMDU2MUxURVFJRUhGNEIzQSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTA2MjEwRlY1NDNBUUNINEdEJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Boxes-Medela-Quick-Clean-Micro-Steam/dp/B00DXXVJRO/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=breast+pump+sterilizer+bags&qid=1565901180&s=gateway&sr=8-3

2. If she has a tight budget, I would skip the bucket seat style carseat entirely.  We brought home our 5# preemie in a Britax car seat, and she is still using the same one 6 years later. It still hasn't expired, and she still fits in the five point harness. My friends have, in the meantime, purchased a bucket seat, a rear facing seat that they flipped forward, and now an enhanced booster. FWIW, I really like that the Britax has a steel frame and side impact protection.  We got a good deal off of amazon and it was shipped from the manufacturer.

https://www.amazon.com/Britax-Marathon-ClickTight-Convertible-Verve/dp/B013YCX22I/ref=sxin_8_osp104-cde63e91_cov?ascsubtag=cde63e91-c47e-4263-b17c-7091dc82dbed&creativeASIN=B013YCX22I&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.cde63e91-c47e-4263-b17c-7091dc82dbed&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&keywords=britax%2Bcar%2Bseat&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B013YCX22I&pd_rd_r=8041271b-42e9-4719-86b5-963b2a4b3c8e&pd_rd_w=bGgE3&pd_rd_wg=TX7OD&pf_rd_p=c501273b-119a-4fc9-ad78-eda5006b0be9&pf_rd_r=14JW2Q9E1EWHHEJJQQ2R&qid=1565901213&s=gateway&tag=scrippsonsite-20&th=1

3. The big muslin (or my favorite--bamboo) swaddling blankets are nice--especially in TX heat.  They make a decent sundrape as well. 

https://www.amazon.com/aden-anais-Swaddle-Blanket-Viscose/dp/B07KX4FGT8/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=bamboo%2Bswaddle%2Bblanket&qid=1565900863&s=gateway&sr=8-4&th=1

Other must haves:

4. waterproof changing liners https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Waterproof-Changing-Liners-Count/dp/B009UPUJIY/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=waterproof%2Bchanging%2Bpad&qid=1565900918&s=gateway&sr=8-7&th=1 (I did not have a changing table or pad--just used this liner on wherever I was)

5. a decent diaper bag https://www.amazon.com/Skip-Hop-Messenger-Matching-Signature/dp/B01LNN1Z9C/ref=sxin_4_osp20-322144d9_cov?ascsubtag=322144d9-ca3d-4bc5-b298-d77625fae4bf&creativeASIN=B00J4J2AQK&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.322144d9-ca3d-4bc5-b298-d77625fae4bf&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&keywords=diaper%2Bbag&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B00J4J2AQK&pd_rd_r=5b0b47c2-3675-4ee6-91e3-e0dce9b32e0b&pd_rd_w=C28IL&pd_rd_wg=QfEQW&pf_rd_p=c501273b-119a-4fc9-ad78-eda5006b0be9&pf_rd_r=7Y7WM95RK4BC8NQYWK31&qid=1565901017&s=gateway&tag=bestcont06-20&th=1  hangs nicely on a stroller, dang near indestructible

• Like 1