Menu

Who's going to tackle Wednesday with me?

Jean in Newcastle

Go back to the beginning on my lessons - print out, check materials, add anything possibly missing, pack in the car.  (Still waiting for two things to come from Amazon.)

do some pet things to get things ready for me being gone - like getting food stocked etc.

make a return at Home Depot

send card to former student and camper who's just been diagnosed with cancer.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2
  • Sad 6

Wide awake since 4:00 am, so I finally just got up. Ugh, I hate insomnia.

Today:

Orthodontist appt 
Pick up milk and buy bagels
School light
AHG things
Get outside with kids for some exercise! Walk or swim or something! 
Missionary dinner at church

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

Jean, I'm sorry about your former student!

Scout, I hope you can get a nap during the day or feel great otherwise.

Dh is off to school, the cats are napping after eating, and I'm about to pour my second cup of coffee. 

Today

• meals
  • school with ds
  • ds' haircut appointment (may let him drive there)
  • laundry
  • look over tutoring for tomorrow
  • church

• Like 8

Good morning!  Scout, I know how that goes.  I have been awake since 4ish as well but stayed in bed tossing and turning.  Should have just gotten up.

Today is DS14's first day of a new co-op here in SC.  It is huge, something like 700 kids.  I hope he just makes one friend.

-coffee
-take DS14 to co-op (leave at 8 am)
-workout
-laundry DONE: 1
-one clutter pile
-one more clutter pile
-clean something
-clean something else
-pick up DS14 from co-op (leave around 1:45)
-make sure I have a handle on what DS14 is supposed to be doing at home the rest of the week

-dinner (pork tenderloin and baked potato)

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 7

Morning, all!
Jean, I'm sorry to hear about your student.  I feel like I'm at the point in my life where I've watched too many of my close people struggle with cancer and it's just hard to feel helpless.
Scout, I hear ya!  I've been up since before 5am.  First the fire alarm squeaked for a minute because of humidity & dust, and then dh's alarm went off.  Thank goodness for two cups of coffee.  I have a feeling I'll need it.
P&G Mom, 😮 I've never heard of a co-op that large!  That's bigger than our high school here!

On my agenda for today:
-put up the fence
-finish prepping the first week of school
-help ds practice his performance pieces
-math with ds
-ride along with oldest to his new work
-make a dent in the camping stuff. LOL  I figure today I'll get the hammock washed, finish up the sleeping bags, and go through the plastic drawers.  Most everything in them has been washed but needs to be repacked.

DH gets home at 3:30 today. YAY!  It's very rare that we get him home so early so dinner is going to be a full family affair.

• Like 8

Good morning!

Jean, I'm so sorry about your student.😞

Scout and Pink & Green, I was tossing and turning last night, too. There is a cold going through our house and my scratchy sore throat kept me awake for much of the night.

• office work - the health insurance paperwork that I keep putting off
  • take Buttercup to the vet at 9:15 for a checkup and senior blood panel - she has seemed a little off to me lately and I want the vet to check her over
  • bank - remember to get cash for farrier
  • run into grocery store for a few ingredients for dinner
  • work on CBT course
  • vacuum basement and mop around litterboxes
  • coffee date w/dh this afternoon
  • dd has a violin lesson
  • dinner: tacos
Edited by Selkie
  • Like 7

Good morning! Jean, I am so sorry about your student.

Today is the first day of school for dd2. The seniors decorated cars last night, but then it poured rain, so it all washed off- probably they will do it again later.

ds3 starts next Monday- I am almost done with everything for him. Just two quick things (and waiting for a package).

• coffee/paper
  • work in garden
  • laundry
  • clean bathrooms
  • general de-cluttering
  • get ds3 to work on his room
  • also ds2.
  • Not sure what other chores- but definitely some
  • hs tennis practice
  • dinner- probably pasta

Have a great day!

• Like 8

I'm back from ds' haircut. I did let him drive there, but I drove back. He only got his permit a month ago because he was afraid to drive at first. He's doing okay, but he's only driven in slower situations. The place we go for the haircut is really tricky to turn left out of coming back home, so I wanted to handle that for now. 

I forgot I need to do a couple of errands out later this afternoon, so I'm adding that to my list. 

• Like 7

Jean, I am so sorry about the former student. Cancer is so awful. 😞 

Heart, the school mess sounds so frustrating! Ugh. I hope you're able to get it sorted today. 

My today is: 
....finish DS's quilt -- binding, and hopefully the applique surprise quote. He moves in tomorrow. 
....get stuff for his dorm room First Aid kit and get that put together
....help him pack
...figure out dinner; tonight is the dreaded Toy Story 3, per his request, which I really don't want, but he asked, how can I say no? There will be much laughter and more crying. (I cried when we first watched this movie, when I didn't even have a senior yet, and then I banned it my older son's senior year, and we haven't watched it since.....I am going to be a mess, y'all....)

Oh, and also, get an answer from DS21, going back to school or staying home???? Already if he cancels there's a partial fee; after today, it's full semester housing fee. He is waffling, but he is talking to us at least. The latest was that he does feel he owes it to himself to go back, but he's not positive now is the right time. He can't articulate why it *wouldn't* be the right time/what's holding him back from going, though. :sigh: 

And of course all of this is happening at *that* time of the month, too, so......pouring the 2nd cup of coffee, finishing my "play on the computer" hour, and then up to quilt. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Well I went to bed last night intending to get up a bit early and send out something to start dealing with an issue that arose yesterday.  A closer look told me that the issue was with a different entity than I thought - this one isn't my fault, so yay.  But I still have to get it moving today.  I sent out an email early to buy myself a little time / gather my brain cells.

My boss got me up way early because her printer wasn't working and she needed a printout for a presentation she's giving today.  She was running way late also.  I ended up getting doubly stressed out over her issues and my issues and being unable to go back to sleep, until I was supposed to wake up.  Then I fell asleep.  Ugh.  Not my favorite way to start the day.

Achieved:

• Helped boss get her presentation ready.
  • Email to buy time for stressful client task.
  • Kid 2 up & fed & off to horse riding (driver took her there; I need to bring her back).
  • Took out the garbage.
  • Retrieved, processed the mail.
  • Caught up on emails, news, social media.
  • Texted to trumpet teacher and ex-nanny.
  • Working on 2nd coffee.

To do:

• Lots of client work.
  • Some reading, maybe play some piano.
  • Exercise.
  • Pick up Kid 2 from barn.
  • Kids to practice instruments.
  • Kid 1 to wash hair and stuff.
  • Kid 1 off to volleyball practice followed by trumpet lesson.
  • Kids to do some work for academic review, scouts, and cleaning their bedrooms.
  • Laundry.
  • Scout registration stuff, etc.
  • Inventory youngest's school clothes.
  • Filing.
  • Read-aloud.
  • Whatever else gets done.
Edited by SKL
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

Aw I rewatched it recently and it is a tear jerker but really Andy isn’t in the film all that much. 

Someone from the school just called and I explained my son is homeschooled and that the attendance officer knows and the form isn’t actually due til September. Once I name dropped she seemed satisfied that I have been in touch with the attendance officer. 

DS18 promises to point out all the hilariously bad stuff so we can laugh a ton during it. I'm counting on him to keep me from crying! (that end where Andy boxes everything up.....waah. Maybe, though, having him nearer, and having gone through one "move kid to college" it won't be as tear-jerky as i think.....

• Like 5

Conversation #1 with DS21 about school vs stay home. He listened, no talking, is leaving to take the dogs for a walk and says we'll talk more later. I mean, I know I hit him early, but....we have to know stay or go by, say, 4 so that we have time (if needed) to cancel housing. Yesterday we talked for over an hour and made no progress. Decision making is not his strong suit. Hopefully he thinks/processes on his walk. 

Coffee's been had, computer stuff done, I'm going up to quilt. Need to finish pressing the binding and get that on first. Applique after. That will be funky to do b/c it's freehand drawing (using a font from a video game language, so......) and then reverse it, cut it out, fuse it on......then quilt over it. But binding should take only an hour to get on the front and honestly, maybe w/the time crunch I machine it to the back too......we'll see. I don't know if I'd have time to do it by hand. 😕 The running to/from his camp Monday & Tuesday ate up all my available time those days. Yea, thinking probably do both sides by machine.....sturdier that way anyway. 

Getting to work now.....

• Like 5

Jean, I’m so sorry about your student. 

Yesterday was a fairly successful day of homeschooling (defined by minimal whining and reasonable completion). However, the evening became exciting when oldest was putting dishes away and dropped a glass, slicing his leg open. A trip to urgent care and several hours later, he is now the proud owner of 3 stitches, and youngest is very tired and cranky today (he’s a child who is awake at 6:30 regardless of how late he’s up the night before).

Morning human care - DONE

I’m caring for/homeschooling my friend’s 3 kids today. Send patience and coffee. DONE

Homeschooling all 6 kids - DONE

Walk to the park, burn some energy - DONE

Lunch for the horde - DONE

EHAP the house with the kids

1.5 hours virtual assistant work - DONE

Therapy for me -DONE

Attend the community meeting about a new recreation center this evening - Can’t do it; I just don’t have the energy. I called in my vote instead.

Finish the last 50 pages or so of my book tonight 

SLEEP

I’m pretty sure I have more scheduled into this day than I can possibly accomplish, and I’ve already eliminated laundry from the list. Hmm. 

Edited by BooksandBoys
  • Like 7

Garden-done

laundry- last load in washer

bathrooms- done. I slacked off this summer- and paid for it today. But they are sparkling now, and I am counting all this as my workout.

cleaned trash box by washing maching. Killed some ants and spiders.

I am going to have a little food and read for a while.

Next up will be breaking down of boxes, boys taking things to recycling and trash. 

Also list making for this week. The first day of school always feels like a Monday.

• Like 6

• Dentist for youngest  
  • breakfast out with youngest  
  • plan Friday for work  
  • Lunch with friend  
  • run a few errands  
  • pick up cheese and crackers and fruit for an appetizer tray for tomorrow evening's guests
  • Pick up dinner ($5 meals if you order online!  Yippee!)- never mind.  too much effort!  DH has dinner marinating
  • clean up kitchen a bit- paying son to do it.
Edited by DawnM
  • Like 7

human care is done.

pet care is done

morning exercises are done

first load of laundry is churning away in the washing machine

medical care is done including filling the pill boxes for the week.  From now on I fill each box at the beginning of the day so that it will still be full when we leave for camp.

Read a Katy Bowman blog. 

• Like 6

Buttercup's appointment went well. Her bloodwork is better than it was six months ago. However, as I suspected, her heart problems have worsened to the point that she needs medication now. She also has an infected tooth, but is too old to risk putting her under anesthesia for a dental cleaning, so we're hoping antibiotics will clear it up. Old lady problems!

Got groceries.

Went to the bank.

Finally dropped off the manure sample to the horse vet, paid my tab, and picked up thyroid meds.

Got coffee with dd and ds19.

Back home now and headed out to do horse chores.

• Like 7

recycling is put out in the bin.

the dishwasher is half unloaded.  Yeah - I know that I should get to the other half but I'm going to work on house stuff during breaks from camp stuff so there is a method to what looks like madness.

I think that ds and his buddy have found an apartment.  It will actually be in our names due to them not having any credit history but it will work. 

• Like 6

Lesson 1 printed, checked over, activity materials checked and packed in the car.

Lesson 2 printed, checked over, activity materials checked and packed in the car.

Lesson 3 printed, checked over, activity materials checked and packed in the car.

Lesson 4 printed but I am still waiting for one part to come in from Amazon.  Please, I hope that it comes today! 

I have a new boys counselor!  (Will double up the other person in the cabin with him.  Middle school boys can always handle having more supervision.  😉

• Like 6

Lesson 5 printed, checked over, activity materials checked and packed in the car.

Lesson 6 printed, checked over, activity materials checked and packed in the car.

Lesson 7 printed but I still need a couple more items for the activity so holding off on packing it.

Lesson 8 printed, checked over, activity materials checked and packed in the car.

• Like 5

Jean, so glad your son (& his friend) found housing!! Wonderful news, and I'm sure a major relief for all of you. 

Home Again, how cool on the badges! 

Selkie, I hope the horses are all okay. (((hugs))) 

I got the binding on DS's quilt. Machine sewn on both sides, but looks lovely and is done and is really nice. Sitting down now to prep the font/stuff for the applique for the border. I need to do it in Word (copy/paste from online) so I can print mirror image and then trace that and then not have to flip it. Maybe. Or something. I don't know. 

Talked with DS21.....y'all, I can't even. He said he really wants to follow what's in his heart, and there are 2 things, one at home, one at school. One, stay home and really do the stop motion videos he wants to do, help his brother with YouTube, and get the 3 of them working on all this together. Or, two, he's 100% sure he wants to go back to school and stay with his original major. One or the other. And, while the knee jerk reaction is "ya, then go back to school!", on the other hand he has been saying since last semester that he wanted to change majors (which is a main reason to stay home)......so even the "stick with major" is shocking. I can't even. 

• Like 7

My kids are so sloooow in doing things. 

They have inherited precisely zero of my administrative ability. Nice kids, smart kids, but crazy weak in EF. 

A few small schoolish things left to do then we are outta here for the pool and then to church. Got to get some sun and exercise while we can! 

• Like 7

Went to Home Depot with Juliet to return something.  Juliet didn't eat anyone.  Two days since last dog incident!

Went to the pet store where Juliet pee'd in delight at her favorite pet store person. 

Dropped card off for my former student/ camper at the post office drive through area.

broke down Chewy boxes and put stuff out in the recycle bin.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Lesson 4 printed, checked over, final item prepped, checked and packed in the car.

Lesson 9 printed, checked over, final item prepped, checked and packed in the car.

Lesson 7 is the final hold out but that just requires me to eat a lot of  yogurt in the next two days (for the containers).  The things I do for camp. . . .

• Like 3

Well, today was pretty much a bust as far as client work, but tomorrow is a "big reporting deadline," so I know I will get a lot done over the next 24 hours.

I didn't do my yoga, so I want to start that shortly so I can still say I did it "today."

I did get the kids to do some things ... well mostly I read to them, but it was a fair amount of stuff - grammar, history, and literature - in addition to their music and some personal stuff they needed to do.

I have a load in the washer.  I must remember to put it in the dryer before I go to bed.

That's about all.  It was a pretty good day as far as the kids, not so much as far as work, but well ... can't have everything.  😛

• Like 3

Putting this here even though it's now Thursday....

....talked with DS21 once DH got home yesterday. He said he wanted to go back. We discussed our concerns -- mainly, the waffling earlier, and also, absolute lack of focus/inability to focus. He admitted that while at camp, he often needed things repeated several times before he fully understood them. This is not conducive to doing well in college level classes that kicked his butt last semester. On top of, it took him untold number of conversations to ever even mention going back as a thing he might want to do (every conversation prior centered around "I may want to stay home because..."). For better or for worse, he decided to stay home and we cancelled his housing assignment. 

He of course immediately expressed regret and worry about this, so we've not w/drawn him from his classes yet. If he speaks up (we will not ask/offer), we will help him find off-campus housing so he may still yet return. 

I feel like probably maybe I was too hard on him......once he decided to go, I should have/could have been supportive and encouraging and "we'll help you figure out how to succeed" etc. but.....instead, I grilled him over his focus. I did say, "If you can honestly answer yes, then absolutely we will send you back and help you every step of the way" (asked him could he truly focus enough for class). But I also told him "if not, we cannot afford, in more ways than one, another horrible semester." Not just the $$, but the mental/emotional toll on all of us. So, I don't know. He was waffling so much before, and so certain all summer that he did NOT want to stick to his major.....and then the last minute flip.....I have no idea if we said/did the right things, or he's going to end up hating me for "making him" stay home. 

(I know I am breaking ettiquette by blabbering about all of this.....)

Anyway, that's the DS21 update. Staying home, unless he changes his mind again. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheReader said:

....talked with DS21 once DH got home yesterday. He said he wanted to go back. We discussed our concerns -- mainly, the waffling earlier, and also, absolute lack of focus/inability to focus. He admitted that while at camp, he often needed things repeated several times before he fully understood them. This is not conducive to doing well in college level classes that kicked his butt last semester. On top of, it took him untold number of conversations to ever even mention going back as a thing he might want to do (every conversation prior centered around "I may want to stay home because..."). For better or for worse, he decided to stay home and we cancelled his housing assignment. 

He of course immediately expressed regret and worry about this, so we've not w/drawn him from his classes yet. If he speaks up (we will not ask/offer), we will help him find off-campus housing so he may still yet return. 

I feel like probably maybe I was too hard on him......once he decided to go, I should have/could have been supportive and encouraging and "we'll help you figure out how to succeed" etc. but.....instead, I grilled him over his focus. I did say, "If you can honestly answer yes, then absolutely we will send you back and help you every step of the way" (asked him could he truly focus enough for class). But I also told him "if not, we cannot afford, in more ways than one, another horrible semester." Not just the $$, but the mental/emotional toll on all of us. So, I don't know. He was waffling so much before, and so certain all summer that he did NOT want to stick to his major.....and then the last minute flip.....I have no idea if we said/did the right things, or he's going to end up hating me for "making him" stay home. 

(((Reader))) It sounds to me like you're doing a good job handling a tough situation!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheReader said:

((Reader)). Has he been evaluated for ADD?  Meds might make a world of difference for him. (I realize that I don’t know all the history here). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

((Reader)). Has he been evaluated for ADD?  Meds might make a world of difference for him. (I realize that I don’t know all the history here). 

He has not been; he was dx'ed with depression & anxiety.....a while ago?....and was on meds for about the past year(-ish), and then took himself off them over the summer. It is entirely possible that there could be ADD at play (we tossed that idea around a bit), &/or could be side effect of going off the meds, &/or could be the anxiety/depression creeping back in. 

One of the benefits if he stays here is that we can, hopefully, get that all sorted out, figured out, get him the help he needs, etc. 

• Like 2