Menu

Easy Grammar Plus

Mom28kds

One of the key teaching features of Easy Grammar Plus is that students find the prepositional phrases and strike them out first.  Then find the left over stuff as subject and verbs.  If the student would struggle with finding prepositional phrase, I might hesitate to jump into that level as first book.  I'm not sure how much of that technique is taught early in the book or if it is just reviewed as prior knowledge. 

The Ultimate Series in Easy Grammar product has an 8th grade book that I think needs less prior knowledge. I use that one with my struggling learner and work it with her.  takes 5 -10 minutes or less each day. nice warm up.

another book to consider: All in One English  (here's a link to one place that sells it, but you can buy where you want) https://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl?id=026477&subject=English%2FWriting/7&category=Straight+Forward+English+Series/1789

and an oldie but goodie to think about would be SchoolHouse Rock Grammar Rocks videos.  Those were on TV when I was a little kid in the 70s and it made school work easy for us. I'm sure you can find those on youtube.  Your 8th grader might enjoy the animation and singing.

7 minutes ago, cbollin said:

One of the key teaching features of Easy Grammar Plus is that students find the prepositional phrases and strike them out first.  Then find the left over stuff as subject and verbs.  If the student would struggle with finding prepositional phrase, I might hesitate to jump into that level as first book.  I'm not sure how much of that technique is taught early in the book or if it is just reviewed as prior knowledge. 

The Ultimate Series in Easy Grammar product has an 8th grade book that I think needs less prior knowledge. I use that one with my struggling learner and work it with her.  takes 5 -10 minutes or less each day. nice warm up.

another book to consider: All in One English  (here's a link to one place that sells it, but you can buy where you want) https://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl?id=026477&subject=English%2FWriting/7&category=Straight+Forward+English+Series/1789

and an oldie but goodie to think about would be SchoolHouse Rock Grammar Rocks videos.  Those were on TV when I was a little kid in the 70s and it made school work easy for us. I'm sure you can find those on youtube.  Your 8th grader might enjoy the animation and singing.

Yeah I'm worried about overloading her with work. What's the difference between the ultimate series and regular Easy Grammar? Thanks for the link. I'll check it out :)

5 minutes ago, Mom28kds said:

Yeah I'm worried about overloading her with work. What's the difference between the ultimate series and regular Easy Grammar? Thanks for the link. I'll check it out 🙂

Easy Grammar is the primary, comprehensive instruction. The Ultimate series is more like review.

Easy Grammar is my favorite. Every level teaches the prepositions, so it doesn't matter whether your dc has learned them previously or not. I would not do the Ultimate series with a child who has not already had significant grammar instruction.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Easy Grammar is the primary, comprehensive instruction. The Ultimate series is more like review.

Easy Grammar is my favorite. Every level teaches the prepositions, so it doesn't matter whether your dc has learned them previously or not. I would not do the Ultimate series with a child who has not already had significant grammar instruction.

Could I do Easy Grammar plus with such a student? I like the fact that it doesn't have a grade level. I don't want her feeling like she's doing lower level work even if she it

On 8/13/2019 at 9:22 AM, Mom28kds said:

Yeah I'm worried about overloading her with work. What's the difference between the ultimate series and regular Easy Grammar? Thanks for the link. I'll check it out 🙂

My  experience with Ultimate was easier for my student to use because it didn't ask you to cross out prepositions to find stuff and it gave explanations in each section. Each day (one page) you have a section to practice capitalization,  then punctuation, parts of speech, sentence combining.  In the caps and punctuation and speech sections, you get a "rule" and example.  as you do more rules, you are expecting to do those along the way.  So, if you want to make a list as you go along and let them look at it, that's good too. It's not full instruction but not review either. I don't really agree with the idea of not doing Ultimate with a struggling student who has had grammar instruction but struggles with it.  But everyone has an opinion.  I'm using Ultimate grade 8 with my youngest (who has significant struggles in school) who is grade 12 age wise and knows she's in grade 12.  I simply covered up the 2 places I saw it say grade 8.  Here's link to a sample of the grade 8 Ultimate book if that would help you know if your student would do ok with it.  (purchase where you want to of course) I review as needed and keep a list of rules. https://www.mfwbooks.com/itemFiles/30021_S_012119.pdf

ps: with Ultimate it does presume student knows to use cap in first word of sentence.  and the lesson samples on that link starts at page 14 after the scope and sequence list.

Edited by cbollin
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 10:33 AM, Mom28kds said:

Could I do Easy Grammar plus with such a student? I like the fact that it doesn't have a grade level. I don't want her feeling like she's doing lower level work even if she it

I think it's meant to be comprehensive for a student that doesn't have a lot of grammar background, and it's for Jr. High plus. I think it sounds perfect for what you're describing, though I haven't used that particular edition myself. I've used some grade level stuff and some Daily Grams/Ultimate Series stuff. I would not use the ultimate series with a student who hasn't had much grammar. I am kind of neutral about using it with a struggling student--it would depend on what the struggles are and how they learn best.

On 8/13/2019 at 9:33 AM, Mom28kds said:

Absolutely.

I will tell you this one thing: make sure that *you* correct each page before she goes on to the next. Yes, even though  she could do it herself. *You* need to make the corrections so that you know how she's doing, and you need to correct a page before she does the next one so she doesn't continue making the same mistakes. It only takes a minute. 😉

• Like 2