Menu

Diane Craft's Brain Integration Therapy Manual

• 2 weeks later...

I have mixed feelings about this book, primarily because I've come to believe there's no substitute for a good diagnosis. While the activities described in this book may be helpful for some children, they may be ineffective or perhaps too stressful for others.

That being said, I have a copy of it, and would be happy to sell it to you if you'd like to take a closer look at it without paying full price.

I too, have mixed feelings. I think that the excercises that she recommends are helpful, but I think the book itself is WAY overpriced. It's only about 50 pages if I remember correctly, if that.

We are doing the excercises with my APD 7 year old and she actually sounded out a word for the first time yesterday.

If you have the option to buy used, it couldn't hurt to check it out!

• 5 months later...

I know this thread is old, but I was just about to buy this book to use with my niece & nephew. Something stopped me and prompted me to search this forum to see if anyone had an opinion. Jean, you just saved me $25.00 :D

THANKS! I love this place. :)

I know this thread is old, but I was just about to buy this book to use with my niece & nephew. Something stopped me and prompted me to search this forum to see if anyone had an opinion. Jean, you just saved me $25.00 :D

THANKS! I love this place. :)

Glad to be of help :D

The price is about 1/4 of ONE private visit to an occupational therapist costs. Therefore, IMO it is cheap. However it is a comb bound manual self published and not sturdy.

This is a do-it-yourself manual. Even if you sought OT they don't give you this stuff to do at home or give these written instructions to describe what they do in their visits.

I don't think any of us can judge the program about if it might help your child based on our experience. Kids are just so unique.

Plus the manual covers multiple diagnoses and hopefully no one child has ALL the conditions. So anyone who uses it would just use a part of it.

I heard Craft speak at a HS conf last year and was inspired. Then last month I heard Linda Kane speak with her neurodevelopmental approach which was different than Craft's. Now I am overwhelmed, which is right? A main difference is Kane says to fix the root problem and the issue goes away while Craft says for very right brained learners and mixed dominant kids to adapt the situation to fit their unique-ness. A very different approach. Kane claims to be able to cure dyslexia, 'right brained dominance', "mixed dominance', ADHD, and even some Autism and Down's Syndrome with ND techniques.

There is something to be said for seeking consults and private testing and just doing what someone says as it might be nice to sit back and accept their therapies (working or failing). However that costs thousands so the temptation is to just 'do it yourself' as a first run & see what happens. If Craft's book doesn't work then a person is just out about $25 (not much money at all).

Here is a link I to a thread about neurodevelopmentalists from the general board.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93121&highlight=mixed+dominance

I hope you will find the discussion helpful.

If you have questions about our experience with these approaches. please feel free to PM me.

Sincerely,

Edited by ELaurie

Hi,

I have a copy of this book. My 8 year old daughter has what seems like a writing gate issue. She has had problems reversing letters and numbers since pre-k too. I have worked with her using the writing 8 exercise for 5 months (currently 2nd grade). She doesn't like it because it's repetitive, however I have seen improvement. It's still a struggle but I feel the $25 cost of the book was well spent for us.

Lisa

• 6 months later...
Guest Natalie:)

Since the replies to this thread are fairly old, I wanted to ask again if anyone has tried Diane Craft's Brain Integration Therapy for auditory/language processing. We did her Biology of Behavior protocol and experienced a nice result with the EFA, but before I embark on the intensive brain integration protocol I wanted to get some feedback from those who have tried it.

Thanks!

• 2 years later...
Guest LaNell Nelkin

I am debating on purchasing Dianne Craft's manual, but am concerned if it will be helpful since my son has a TBI, and many complications that go with it.

Everyone is saying that the book is $25. Where are you purchasing her book? On her website it is closer to the $60 range.

We live in Ukraine, and are very short on funds, but I am in need of help since there isn't the opportunity for therapy here. With that said, I definitely need to be wise in what I purchase.

The book has been updated and has more pages. I think the goal was to be more user friendly and has lesson layouts. I emailed Dianne last year and asked about the difference. I went for a used copy of the older book and we are happy with it but it is only a beginning not a complete therapy in a book.