Menu

Critical Thinking

JoyfulLife

I was wondering what my 7th grader should start with? We studied the book "The Basics of Critical Thinking" in 5th grade but did not choose anything for 6th.  I know there are books like the Fallacy Detective and Art of Argument before starting Traditional Logic I . Where should I restart teaching logic? Also what about the sequence of  "Building Thinking Skills" and "Critical and Creative" and "Critical Thinking" books? thank you!

Edited by GIS_15

I don't know if my sequence is correct, but after the basics of critical thinking book, my son is doing the following simultaneously:

1. The critical thinking book 1

2. The fallacy detective

Then after #2, I will teach thinking tools.

Then perhaps we will be done with #1, then he will do the second book to it.

3. Mindbender

4. Balance benders

I figure after all of that he will do James Madison critical thinking book by ctc.

Then art of argument.

I forgot about MP's traditional logic. Guess I will look into it.

Hth

We do Building Thinking Skills and Mind Benders in 3rd-6th, then Fallacy Detective, Balancing Equations, and Crypto Mind Benders in 7th and Art of Argument in 8th. In the past we've done Argument Builder in 9th and it's fine, but my kids have learned tons more about logical argumentation by doing debate than they have by doing anything else. 

We tried the James Madison book and didn't like it. So we decided to ditch Formal Logic completely and just stick with debate 😉