Menu

What's with the ads?

3andme

University of Utah, Idaho or Montana?

My ds is a senior interested in Computer Science. We are aiming for our in state school University of Washington. However, CS is very competitive for admissions there right now and they basically say don't come if you don't get admitted directly as a freshman. So, I am looking for some other safeties in the mountain states where tuition would be low due to the WUE program. Does anyone have any anecdotal experience with University of Utah, Universtiy of Idaho,  or Montana?

• Like 1

I worked with some Engineers (EE) who were graduates of UW, so if you are Washington residents that would probably be the most ideal for your DS.

My impression is that some or all of the Public universities in Utah encourage their OOS to become Utah residents. I'm not sure what the implications of that are.

Regarding Utah, Idaho and Montana, he should study their C.S. programs and the reputations of their C.S. programs. Starting with them being ABET accredited, which is the starting point.

UW rankings on USNEWS:  https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-washington-3798/overall-rankings

Idaho rankings: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-idaho-1626/overall-rankings

Montana rankings: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-montana-2536/overall-rankings

Utah rankings:  https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-utah-3675/overall-rankings

Based upon those metrics, which might be one place for your DS to begin, it would be in this order: University of Washington, University of Utah, University of Idaho. 

(BTW, I believe my DD had been contacted by a school in Montana but it was probably Montana State University?)

Of the 4 schools mentioned, Montana is IMO the weakest, based on those rankings. 

I hope he can get into UW. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 3andme said:

My ds is a senior interested in Computer Science. We are aiming for our in state school University of Washington. However, CS is very competitive for admissions there right now and they basically say don't come if you don't get admitted directly as a freshman. So, I am looking for some other safeties in the mountain states where tuition would be low due to the WUE program. Does anyone have any anecdotal experience with University of Utah, Universtiy of Idaho,  or Montana?

I believe Boise State is part of the WUE program; I'm a little biased but I love this campus 🙂  I don't know if the WUE scholarship would bring it into your "safety" range... https://www.boisestate.edu/admissions/scholarships/

• Like 1

My oldest is at Northern Arizona University and it is a WUE school.  I know it says Arizona but it is in Flagstaff, very high in the mountains.  It is not hot like Phoenix.  In January,  my kid in Arizona was COLDER than my kid in upstate New York!  They have a computer science program.  If Arizona is too far away then that is okay, but I wanted to put in a plug for m daughter’s school.

• Like 1

Utah is pretty good. No experience with the other two.

In state, consider Western, which is the backup school for a lot of UW "couldn't get CS" students who don't want to go to WSU.

Agree NAU is worth a peek. U of Arizona isn't in WUE, but does give good merit, attracts a number of Washington students each year, and has trip clubs to the nearby mountains as well. Not  as "mountainy" as NAU, though.

• Like 1

Are you looking for program-specific information or campus information? We've been to University of Idaho and University of Montana; I may be able to provide general information.

You might want to add Washington State University to your list, as well.

8 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

Are you looking for program-specific information or campus information? We've been to University of Idaho and University of Montana; I may be able to provide general information.

You might want to add Washington State University to your list, as well.

Mostly looking for  information on the general atmosphere/culture on campus. 

• Like 1

I don't have a whole lot of information on UM as we went there several years ago, when DD was a bit young. The campus is not overwhelmingly large, seems to be well-laid out, and there seem to be a lot of on-campus activities. Missoula is a fairly small town, and there's not much else around. The downtown is kinda artsy-fartsy, and there are so.many.bars. There is a great independent bookstore, though, called Fact or Fiction. The Clark Fork river runs through town, and the park and greenbelt are lovely. Outdoor activities are abundant. It's on the east side of the Continental Divide, so winters can be cold and windy.

UI is in Moscow, Idaho, a very nice small town. It also has a nice independent bookstore. 🙂 The campus is fairly small, but navigating the hills in the winter can be a bit of a challenge (they do a very good job of clearing.) The students seem very friendly, but it does lean a bit toward the party school end of the spectrum. Greek life is active, but not something my daughter is much interested in, so I don't have much more to offer. The Honors College seems to be very supportive and active; my daughter really liked the vibe. We were not very impressed with the academics. My daughter wants to major in math, so she sat in on a Number Theory class. Many of the students were clearly disinterested, bordering on disrespectful. It left a bad taste in my child's mouth. We're in-state, so this is our "well, if we have to" fall-back (She should qualify for full ride +.)  The son of a friend is an engineering student there (as were his father and older brother), however, and he loves it. I think engineering is a much better supported department than is mathematics. 😉 Personally, I really like the area and the faculty.

WSU was a big surprise to us. We just kinda threw it in while we were touring our state flagship, but we were both very impressed. The campus is QUITE large and very pretty, but OY those hills in the winter! The students were very friendly and engaged, quite obviously so. Pullman is just on across the border from Moscow, is also fairly small (bigger than Moscow, though), but no where near as charming. Lots of outdoor activities on the Palouse, though. The Honors College seems to be more academic and not as social as UI, but solid. The vibe of this school is just really positive, though. Had they not eliminated their Russian language program, it would be at the top of our list. If you're in-state, I think it would be worth a serious look.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I'm kind of late night (for me) stream of consciousness typing. 🙂