Menu

TSH testing

PeterPan

How long does it take for TSH to change and show on repeat testing with a changed dose? I *think* my doc did initial retest at 4 weeks and after that at 6, but I can't remember. Can TSH shift in say 2 weeks? Faster?

I take kelp, etc. in addition to my naturethroid (prescription), and I want to decrease my kelp so we can take up my naturethroid. I'm just trying to figure out how far in advance of the bloodwork I need to make that dose change. The kelp works, but it's a lot of expense and also I think fatiguing to my system. I dropped it by about half when we did my adjusting a year ago, and I wish I had gone down a bit further. I'm taking 3/4 gr naturethroid (yes, I know that's crazy small!) and I'd like it to get to an even 1 gr. Naturethroid goes out of stock every so often, and I'm cutting 1 grains down every day for 3 months waiting to get it back in stock, grr. So for a bunch of reasons, getting me over to 1 gr would be better. 

And yes I know there are more labs. This is just how this doc rolls, and he's so agreeable otherwise and the way I feel fine. I'm just gonna drop the kelp till I go hypo again, run the TSH, then I can have the new dose. I don't want to be like that longer than necessary, that's all. 

I've tested as frequently as 30 days. TBH I'd not expect your kelp to do much, it is not like you are getting a standardized dose of iodine there. I'd be mindful that you could end up worse off as the bit of NDT you're taking pushes your TSH down signalling your body to produce less thyroid hormone yet your dose is not enough to replace what you need. I regret staying at a starter dose too long. 

• Thanks 1

TSH is reactive, it is a hormone secreted by the pituitary gland in response to overall changes in thyroid hormones. It takes time for your body to see the overall change and adjust accordingly, hence the 6 week waiting period between tests. If you have the money to private pay for the tests, I'm sure you could test it as often as you want.

Thyroid hormones (T3, T4) can fluctuate wildly, even within a single day. I had to have it tested several times throughout the day to prove a postpartum thyroid storm I had years ago. Just testing once a day showed normal one day, low another, normal again, then high then low then normal again.... but those tests were at least a week apart and because it was normal sometimes, the doctor was hesitant to treat me. So to get the doctor to connect the dots, I insisted on having 3 - 4 tests in one day. That showed how wildly it would fluctuate and I actually got the treatment I needed. My TSH was normal through all this because my body couldn't tell what the new normal was because the numbers were all over the place.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soror said:

I've tested as frequently as 30 days. TBH I'd not expect your kelp to do much, it is not like you are getting a standardized dose of iodine there. I'd be mindful that you could end up worse off as the bit of NDT you're taking pushes your TSH down signalling your body to produce less thyroid hormone yet your dose is not enough to replace what you need. I regret staying at a starter dose too long. 

Yeah, that's why I've been hedging, sigh. Unfortunately I'm taking so much that I'm probably getting a significant dose just from the excessive amounts. 

I think what I'm going to do is go off the kelp, etc. almost completely, let my body crash for a month, get the labs. He'll give me the new dose pretty quickly. No, this 3/4 gr isn't the starter dose. He started me at 1/4 gr and worked up. He was really good about it and we mutually agreed. I should have dropped the kelp further. It was just my mistake at the time.

And yes, that would be very interesting if I dropped it completely and got no effect on TSH, hmm. I'm taking an absurd amount, and that's probably 1/3-1/2 less than what I used to take. (27 capsules kelp and 16 capsules red marine algae total daily). That's definitely just way more than is sensible. It's costing me $80 a month (I just did the math today), and I'd like to get the scrip up so I could then tweak with kelp and have it at sub-$20 a month. That I'd be cool with. Then with the savings I can go to Disney more, haha.

See at the time I thought good, let your thyroid make all it can, feed it, kwim? But now that I'm on the meds, I kind of feel like there's less strain from doing that, like maybe taking all those minerals is just fatiguing my system. I think my whole body deserves a bit of a break. I don't know, that's just subjective but it's what I think. 

59 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

My TSH was normal through all this because my body couldn't tell what the new normal was because the numbers were all over the place.

Oh that's interesting. 

Well I'm 5 1/2 weeks out from this doc appt which probably puts me just under 6 weeks from the blood draw. Probably should go ahead and go to the land of slug. So not fun.