Menu

4th grade grammar curriculum

VaScarlett

Please help me decide on a grammar curriculum for my fourth grader. I purchased MCT Island level and was so excited to use it but he hates it! It is his first introduction to grammar and he stares at me blankly when I ask him to identify the parts of speech. I think it is moving way too fast for him. Also, MCT doesn't give the students the typical questions used to identify parts of speech, like What kind? which one?, etc. So I'm wondering if I need to use Rod & Staff English. I'm introducing my 2nd grader to it and she loves it. I think its boring but she says grammar is her favorite subject. I have the 3rd grade books so I don't know if I need to purchase the 4th grade books. Can he start at that level? To complicate matters, our co-op is using IEW TWSS and many parents have recommended the Fix-It! Grammar series to accompany the writing program. I really want to give him a solid foundation in grammar but right now I'm not sure which direction to go. 

I like Grammar-Land as a first introduction, with the Child's Own English Book as an assistance.  Both are free ebooks or available through Amazon.  Grammar Land gives a personality to each part of speech as they are introduced and the Child's Own English Book offers plenty of games for each to hammer it home. And you can go at your own pace through them, revisiting the games as needed.

I don't believe many children need extensive work on the parts of speech, they just need to find something that clicks.  We went from the above to using integrated grammar with the rest of our language arts, so diagramming work is pulled from readers/read alouds instead of constantly being kept separate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Go ahead and use the 3rd grade Rod and Staff Grammar. There is a lot of review in theRod and Staff books so as you move up through the grades it is possible to skip over the review that your child doesn't need. I have heard of some skipping an entire book (5th grade I think). Rod and Staff is very thorough and doesn't take a lot of time. It may not be the most exciting grammar curriculum out there but it works.

I will be starting my 6th grader in Rod and Staff 4th grade Grammar this year. She has had no previous grammar instruction. My plan is to cover grades 4-7 in the next 3 years. And that will pretty much cover all the grammar she really needs. 

Susan in TX

Edited by Susan in TX

An average 4th grader with no grammar experience can start with Rod & Staff 4. It starts at the beginning with nouns and builds up from there. 

The 3 book would have value too. 

Fix It is more low key and based on proofreading. I found it better for kids that pick up grammar fast and don't need much practice. (It's not going to give you "which one" and "how many" either.)

Also, I am looking for a new program too. I am thinking of Beowolf or Well Ordered Language. I also really liked CLE language arts but since I have not seen it since the convention a couple years ago, I am thinking we won't do it. Still thinking so hoping some people chime in.

I've done fll through level 4 with dd11 and through level 3 with dd8. Dd7 has had no grammar instruction besides listening to the well-ordered language grammar songs, Schoolhouse rock, and the Grammar land audiobook. 

This year I'm letting them all do Beowulf grammar. They are all liking it. I'd suggest it as a good for most elementary student level. The only downside really is that you have to print out so many pages with color. 

• Like 1