Menu

AOPS Algebra books

I'm looking for something for Algebra 2 and from past readings I thought the AOPS Introduction to Algebra included material for Algebra 1 and 2. I was going to have her cover the Algebra 2 topics in that book and let her sister use the earlier chapters to supplement her Algebra 1. If I remember correctly, until recently AOPS didn't even use the term Algebra 2 and their Intermediate Algebra was more like Algebra 3 or advanced topics not usually covered in HS Algebra classes. I looked at their bookstore this morning, however, and I see the description for Intermediate Algebra says it is for Algebra 2 and PreCal. Has something changed?

Help- what do I want?? If I now have to buy both books to cover Algebra 2 I'll just get something else. 

I'm sorry, I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find it with the search function.

Edited by Paige

Intermediate Algebra is part Algebra 2 and part algebra portion of precalculus. It has some additional chapters of contest math and is overall more in depth. If you plan on continuing with AoPS, i wouldn’t skip the Intermediate book. If you are looking for a more traditional sequence, i would look elsewhere. 

This is from Kathy in Richmond’s old post on what has to be covered in AoPS books to get through algebra 2 and precalculus:

I don’t know where the line is though between Algebra 2 and precalculus here

Intermediate algebra textbook:

Ch 1 - 4: review

Ch 5 - 6: all

Ch 7.1 - 7.5

Ch 9.1 - 9.2

Ch 10.1 - 10.5

Ch 11.3 -11.4

Ch 13.1 -13.3, 13.5-6

Ch 14.1

Ch 15.1 - 15.3

Ch 16.1 - 16.3

Precalculus textbook:

Ch 1 - 2

Ch 3.1 - 3.4

Ch 4 - 7

Ch 9 - 11

Edited by Roadrunner

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Intermediate Algebra is part Algebra 2 and part algebra portion of precalculus. It has some additional chapters of contest math and is overall more in depth. If you plan on continuing with AoPS, i wouldn’t skip the Intermediate book. If you are looking for a more traditional sequence, i would look elsewhere. 

I agree.

For Algebra 2, in order to follow the sequence of standard high school texts: your daughter needs to complete Intro to Algebra text somewhere from chapter 13/14 to the end of the text and selected chapters from AOPS Intermediate Algebra book. This largely varies based on what standard textbook you are comparing against. I compared AOPS to Brown/Dolciani's standard algebra books and decided on what the scope of Algebra 2 might be for my child because locally, most math tutors seem to think that the Dolciani book is a "standard" text and hence I used that as something to measure against.

Edited by mathnerd