Menu

Tell me About Ovarian Teratoma

plansrme

If you could not quote, I would appreciate it.

My daughter with hip dysplasia (about whom I posted a week or so ago) just got the results of her MRI.  I don't understand the hip part, but I did understand 5 cm ovarian teratoma.  Geez.  If it's not one thing. . ..

Any experience?  Do they remove them?  If so, how?  Is it likely to be causing pain?  Other symptoms?  She has a call in to a gynecologist to beg for an appointment ASAP, but in the meantime, y'all help a mom out here!

When I was pregnant with DS, my first ultrasound showed me having a ovarian cyst. After it was removed, it was declared a "mature cystic teratoma." Mine had to be removed because it twisted, and was incredibly painful. (Painful enough that they did surgery on my ovary to remove it at the end of my first trimester.) But I got the impression that that wasn't always the case, and often they can just hang out and are fine, and maybe go away on their own? Mine was just special and demanded attention. 😕

So, to answer your questions: they can be fine, but they can cause pain if they twist. The pain is a shooting pain in the stomach, and is hard to mistake. 

I believe they can remove them laparoscopically. They removed mine through the abdomen, with a incision in my stomach from my belly button down, because mine was so large they couldn't do that. (Again: special :/) 

Before mine was removed, I was told it could cause scarring on the ovary, or I might lose an ovary altogether. Thankfully, neither of those things happened (and DS was fine!). 

A relative had huge ones on each ovary (pop can size)--they were full of diverse kinds of tissue. I think she had a lot of pain, but there was co-existing endometriosis, so where one problem started and another stopped...she had both ovaries removed. 

I've had many and they all disappeared on their own eventually. One was golf-ball sized. They can cause a very sharp pain if they get twisted, as Liz said. Probably no other symptoms unless she has concurrent endometriosis (which I do). Endo can't be diagnosed without exploratory surgery. Symptoms are bad cramping, heavy bleeding, and infertility.

My SIL had surgery to remove one when she was 18 and when they opened her up they discovered it was already gone. I don't understand why they didn't do an ultrasound right before the surgery.