Menu

Grade weight allocation within a class (math)

The 10th grade math curriculum we are using suggests having tests count as 80% of a student's math grade and quizzes count as the other 20%. Last year, their 9th grade math factored in homework and reviews, as well as the tests and quizzes. I was wondering if this is common as students get older, or if I should still let homework and reviews count toward the final class grade? Thanks!

My son took geometry through an online academy last year, and will do algebra 2 this year with the same instructor, and she weights the homework 25, quizzes 30, and tests 45. She also drops the lowest grade in each category and offers an occasional extra credit option. I assume she’ll do the same with her precalculus class, which he plans to take with her next year.

• Like 1

Having been a classroom teacher, I think the reality in schools is a bit all over the place. Some districts have specific guidelines that tests can't count more than a certain amount, but even then, teachers circumvent that and put their own stamp on things by making tests open book or by giving a ton of tests or just a few tests, or by dropping a grade or allowing retakes.

All of this is just to say, I think it's up to you. Set up your scale however you like.

• Like 1

I did not use tests for math. I graded based on effort and my perception of his knowledge based on discussions, observation, and reviewing his homework.  Older DS spent 2 hours per day on math, and made good progress each year.  He struggled through difficult content, and mastery was clear given that he could move up a level and still complete difficult work. Tests are not the only way to assess learning. 

• Like 2

On 8/10/2019 at 5:29 AM, hdollenger said:

My son took geometry through an online academy last year, and will do algebra 2 this year with the same instructor, and she weights the homework 25, quizzes 30, and tests 45. She also drops the lowest grade in each category and offers an occasional extra credit option. I assume she’ll do the same with her precalculus class, which he plans to take with her next year.

This is great to know, thank you.