Menu

Homeschooling for one class in IL

Hello,

At a homeschool meetup at my local library, I met a woman who wants to pull her daughter out of one class at the local middle school. The social studies teacher treated the woman’s son horribly and has a reputation for showing extreme favoritism. She wants to keep her daughter out of this class, so that she won’t experience the same thing her son did. She has contacted the school via phone but they are not responding. I have sent her a bunch of links about homeschooling in IL but have yet to find specific information that would help in her situation. If anyone has any ideas or access to information that pertains to IL, I would appreciate it.

I think the reason you aren't finding anything is because part-time homeschooling is rarely something that public schools in any state will allow students to do. I've heard of private schools sometimes allowing a part-time situation but not public school. If she wants to keep her daughter home just this year to homeschool to avoid this teacher, that would be a viable option but I seriously doubt this school is going to allow her to homeschool for just one class. The easier option would be to explain, in writing, to the school administration that due to problems her family has had in the past with this teacher, she is requesting that her daughter not be in this teacher's class. They can still deny the request but at least then you have written proof that you tried to mitigate the problem before it became a problem. Calling the school isn't likely to yield results. Always get these kinds of things in writing and any conferences need to be followed up with a written agreement as to what was discussed and agreed upon. Verbal promises can be easily broken but written agreements can be used to show when one party isn't holding up their end of the deal. Just my two cents FWIW.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mrs. Donagin said:

Hello,

At a homeschool meetup at my local library, I met a woman who wants to pull her daughter out of one class at the local middle school. The social studies teacher treated the woman’s son horribly and has a reputation for showing extreme favoritism. She wants to keep her daughter out of this class, so that she won’t experience the same thing her son did. She has contacted the school via phone but they are not responding. I have sent her a bunch of links about homeschooling in IL but have yet to find specific information that would help in her situation. If anyone has any ideas or access to information that pertains to IL, I would appreciate it.

Depending on where she is, there are many schools in IL that allow part-time attendance.  It may differ district by district, or even different schools within a district having different policies.  DD did high school part-time ... toward the end, she attended nearly full-time, doing only one class at home.  But, she was considered a homeschooler for graduation purposes, with classes outsourced to the high school, because I didn't want to jump through any hoops to get her homeschool classes approved for credit ( which can be an iffy process.)   We have friends who did part-time attendance at the local junior high.  But, a school district 5 miles away is way less friendly to homeschoolers taking classes.  

That said, I think she would probably have more success if she approached it that she wanted part-time attendance rather than as a reaction to the one teacher.