Menu

Transcript Q: How Should I Record This?

I've been tearing my hair out and going back and forth on how to record DD's Great Books courses on her transcript. She has done Roman Roads Media's Old Western Culture Great Books 1, 2, and 3, with 4 scheduled this year. I consider the class worthy of two credits, history and literature. I round out history with additional reading/viewing and English with 2-3 Bravewriter writing classes per year.

My options:

1) Call it "Great Books 1, 2, 3..." for 2 credits and include the supplemental material in the course description

2) List English 1, 2, 3.. and History Time Period 1, 2, 3... as separate 1 unit classes, including the GB description and supplemental classes/material in the course descriptions.

This is causing me a ridiculous amount of stress and angst. I NEED to get DD's transcript DONE. She wants to have some applications submitted by the end of the month. She's getting HER part done, and it's me causing a hold-up.  HELP!

We did it along the lines of option 2.  Course description listed each course as "co-requisite" or something fancy like that.  Oh wait, there's the file.  I said English 1 "concurrently taken with Ancient History".  and then Ancient History "concurrently with English 1"  (well ok, we listed it as English 9, 10 instead of I , II.

I'm sure you'll find variety of answers with pros and cons.  The biggest reason I did it as more traditional titles was to have it more tradition in names to make it easy for admissions to go "check box".   We did not apply to fancy super selective places so I don't think they cared except to see ACT.

• Like 2

Option 3 - I would put them separately on the transcript, but title them more creatively than English 1 and History 1.  Maybe Great Books and Composition - Ancients (for English)  and Ancient Civilizations and Humanities (for history).  That's just top of my head - you can come up with better if you want.  But it reports the credits separately (which Ad Coms probably expect) but lets the title show that it was meatier than a traditional Eng 1 and Hist 1.  Maybe?  (Just trying to hit somewhere in the middle - I've never actually prepared a transcript with Great Books classes... disclosure, so on and so forth.....)

• Like 3

PM Regentrude.  Her daughter studied Lit and History together, and I believe she created a 2 credit course for each.  Regentrude is also very good a writing course descriptions, and helped me quite a lot with my muddle.  🙂

• Like 1

We didn’t do true combined GB courses all four years, but of those we did that way, I listed them as “________ Ancient, or Medieval, or Early Modern, etc.___ Literature and History” as one course, and explained in the course descriptions how many credits and how the credits were divided. I didn’t want to call it “Great Books”, because I don’t want someone looking at the transcript to wonder what that is. 

Edited by Penelope

I hope this helps.  When I had some difficulty creating course names and descriptions for a non-traditional course, or a class that I didn't understand very well, another homeschooling parent tipped me off to a transcript hack.  I googled some key words from what the student learned + "high school course" or "college course" and up popped some similar classes with names and descriptions that I could edit and use for my own transcript.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...