Menu

integrated math vs traditional sequence?

How likely are you to stick to the integrated math course provider for Math I to Math III? 

What does your child prefer?

My kids went with traditional but did Algebra and Geometry concurrently. I did integrated math in public school (not likely to change school so just went with what was offered).

• Thanks 1

That sounds interesting to me. Who is the online provider offering the integrated Algebra I and Geometry class (es)?

A major private school in my area (K-12) is now offering integrated math courses only for grades 7-9 (no more single topics).  Over the three years the students receive credit for Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1 and Geometry. This may be a new trend in the USA, but is often standard elsewhere in the world from what I understand. 

Unless you're sure that this class/provider is going to be right and that your kids will thrive best with that method, I personally wouldn't just because it will box you in. Let's say the provider goes under, the teacher changes, the class is a bust, the kids need a different approach... if you did a year of algebra I, then whatever, just get through it and switch over for geometry if it didn't work out. Or finish it up at home or even with another teacher if you have to if it was really that bad. But if you do a year of integrated math and then you need to switch... your options are going to be very limited. 

This isn't a dig at integrated math. I think a three year sequence of integrated algebra I, II, and geometry is probably superior if done well. It's just that you're stuck in a box for now if you follow it so you really want to be sure it's right.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1