Menu

Blame It On Gutenberg...

Not sure when this is coming out or if it will be free, but it's going to tackle the claims of the Eides. Since I've long been saying my non-dyslexic dd fit Dyslexic Advantage and my multiple times diagnosed dyslexic ds doesn't, I'm looking forward to hearing what they found. The Elizabeth Norton they are interviewing had popped up in some of my other research for language issues for ds. https://communication.northwestern.edu/faculty/ElizabethNorton They have a FB page you can like to get updates. :biggrin:

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2019 at 8:31 AM, PeterPan said:

Not sure when this is coming out or if it will be free, but it's going to tackle the claims of the Eides. Since I've long been saying my non-dyslexic dd fit Dyslexic Advantage and my multiple times diagnosed dyslexic ds doesn't, I'm looking forward to hearing what they found. The Elizabeth Norton they are interviewing had popped up in some of my other research for language issues for ds. https://communication.northwestern.edu/faculty/ElizabethNorton They have a FB page you can like to get updates. :biggrin:

I want to send this video to someone...but I do not know how to get the link to the video. Can you please help me?

• Like 1

I'd like a direct link, too!

Here are some videos from Gaab, I follow her on Twitter:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLxDwKxHx1yKu1grW2KBgvRnPltqkD01S

If you insert the link as a link, using the little link button that looks like a piece of a chain, then you can copy and paste the link and people can see the link instead of an embedded video.

• 3 years later...

@PeterPan What do you mean by "tackle the claims of the Eides"?

I don't think that the Eides are claiming that all dyslexics present a certain way or that non-dyslexics can't have the advantages that they identify as being associated with dyslexia.

I watched the film last night and didn't notice that it took a view incompatible with the views of the Eides. 

I'm hoping that this thread doesn't get locked just because it's old.

Edited by EKS

On 1/1/2023 at 10:57 AM, EKS said:

@PeterPan What do you mean by "tackle the claims of the Eides"?

I don't think that the Eides are claiming that all dyslexics present a certain way or that non-dyslexics can't have the advantages that they identify as being associated with dyslexia.

I watched the film last night and didn't notice that it took a view incompatible with the views of the Eides. 

I'm hoping that this thread doesn't get locked just because it's old.

In their book they encourage people to "undiagnose" ASD if they see "dyslexia." It's an over-simplistic viewpoint that doesn't fit reality. Could be issues with terms, their limited MRI pool, whatever.

Edited by PeterPan

14 hours ago, PeterPan said:

In their book they encourage people to "undiagnose" ASD if they see "dyslexia." It's an over-simplistic viewpoint that doesn't fit reality. Could be issues with terms, their limited MRI pool, whatever.

Could you tell me where in the book that is exactly? I assume we're talking about The Dyslexic Advantage here.

I see a discussion of Manuel Casanova's research into brain structure and a long quote from him where he contrasts minicolumn spacing in individuals with autism versus people with dyslexia. I don't see anything about diagnosing (or undiagnosing) anything, nor do the Eides say anything themselves about autism here.  The Eides weren't the ones doing the research though, and I'm fairly certain that they have never done brain imaging research.

Or are you talking about what they say in their chapter on "Max"?  They don't say anything specific about undiagnosing there, but there is discussion of another psychologist diagnosing Asperger's, that their "interpretation was somewhat different," and that "perhaps 'family resemblance' provides a better explanation for Max's 'intense' interest in drainage and erosion than autism, since his grandfather spent his career as a professor of geophysics."

I have said here that the Eides undiagnosed my son's erroneous Asperger's diagnosis--and I used the word "undiagnosed."  Perhaps this is what you are thinking of?  Now that he is 26, it is obvious that they were correct, by the way.

Edited by EKS

I have heard that children in your son’s age range were being incorrectly diagnosed with Aspergers.  

It was not being treated as a category of autism.

I think it is a reason that Aspergers was taken out of DSM 5, and joined with ASD, with a Social Communication Disorder that has ended up being totally unused from what I can tell.

There was news about — “what about people who were diagnosed with Aspergers but wouldn’t be diagnosed with ASD” and to a great extent it seemed like the answer was — well, they won’t be diagnosed with anything, with an implication they should never have been diagnosed with Aspergers.

I don’t know too much about it, though.

5 hours ago, Lecka said:

I have heard that children in your son’s age range were being incorrectly diagnosed with Aspergers.

Yes, well, I found out later that it was well known in certain circles that the psychologist who diagnosed the Asperger's was the go-to guy if you wanted that diagnosis for services through the school district.

5 hours ago, Lecka said:

It was not being treated as a category of autism.

I think that this particular psychologist was thinking of it as a category of autism, since he said this:

"Based on a thorough review of all the data, it appears to the examiner that [son's name] presents a behavior and learning profile consistent with an individual who struggles with an autistic spectrum disorder.  More specifically, based on the criteria outlined in the DSM-IV-TR [son's name] clearly meets the criteria as having Asperger's Disorder."

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, EKS said:

Yes, well, I found out later that it was well known in certain circles that the psychologist who diagnosed the Asperger's was the go-to guy if you wanted that diagnosis for services through the school district.

I do wonder the converse for the Eides—do they ever give either an Autism or an ADHD diagnosis?   

3 hours ago, KSera said:

I do wonder the converse for the Eides—do they ever give either an Autism or an ADHD diagnosis?   

My impression was that their goal was to understand the child in front of them, so if they thought that a autism or ADHD diagnosis was in order, I'm sure they would have given it.